Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 08:34 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,514,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
But what I could never figure out is how on earth her husband could live with her and how she held a job.
I've have a friend like that and I've talked about her before--I've limited my interactions with her. I'm sorry, but I just can't stand her yammering on and on any longer. She does have a good heart and I hate the way I feel towards her! But I cannot get a word in to say I need to hang up the telephone, go home, etc.

Many times I've wondered how her husband has stayed with her for 40+ years! [/quote]
Spouses (myself included) have a safety switch. When the bh starts
talking my ears shut off. REally!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 03:40 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,757,107 times
I had a friend like this. He is/was a private pilot. I met him at an airport I worked at and as luck would have it we ended up going to college and even having a few classes together. He would talk non-stop about airplanes. He would "forget" that I wasn't a pilot, or around the airport hours a day nor knew the other pilots like he did. "Do you know Joe Smith that flies XYZ plane?" "No" I'd respond. "Oh, well anyway he..." he would continue on. I could care less. At least change the topic. He would go on and on.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:10 PM

537 posts, read 740,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
I had a friend like this. He is/was a private pilot. I met him at an airport I worked at and as luck would have it we ended up going to college and even having a few classes together. He would talk non-stop about airplanes. He would "forget" that I wasn't a pilot, or around the airport hours a day nor knew the other pilots like he did. "Do you know Joe Smith that flies XYZ plane?" "No" I'd respond. "Oh, well anyway he..." he would continue on. I could care less. At least change the topic. He would go on and on.
That's pretty typical. And I'm a pilot myself. Pilots can be boring if you aren't in the club.

There's an old joke. How can you tell if there's a pilot in the room? Don't worry, he'll let you know.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:30 PM

624 posts, read 1,162,249 times
God Bless quiet people. Amen.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset_Va View Post
God Bless quiet people. Amen.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."
— original author unsettled

Old 11-09-2013, 03:48 PM

37 posts, read 51,514 times
I once had a coworker who would literally talk to the top of my head as I tried to ignore her. Blah, blah, blah. Talked all day, never said anything. I hate these people. They're rude and typically not the brightest crayon in the box.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:18 PM

542 posts, read 692,765 times
I've known a few people like this. My sister's MIL is one. Apparently it's the reason she's divorced.

I had several co-workers that were like this, but not quite so bad. One gal (a supervisor) would talk over you as soon as you tried to converse back. I usually couldn't get in more than five words before she'd butt in with whatever else she had to say. If our breaks lined up, I'd try to read a book in the staffroom, but that wouldn't stop her from trying to talk to me. I eventually just started ignoring her but saying "oh, wow" or "hmm, that's interesting" at certain points, but not actually listening to what she was saying, but I don't think she ever noticed. I eventually started going out to my car for all my breaks.

Two other co-workers (also supervisors, ugh) were very self-centered (actually, the other gal was too, so I think that's all related). At a big meeting where all the offices met up at once for something like a retreat, we were all asked to just say our name, what location we worked, and how long we'd worked for the organization. Everyone did this, saying not much more than 20 seconds worth. My two other supervisors must have gone on for about five minutes each, saying how great they were and all the projects they had planned and oh look at us! Everyone else was just looking at each other rolling their eyes. I don't work for those people anymore, thankfully.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:28 PM

Lord help, I met another one yesterday. The local Harley mechanic. I came in with a flat ATV tire. Honest. To. God. Forty mind-numbing teeth-grinding minutes later I was on my way. He would not stop talking. Period. I think I said ten words the entire time: "could . . . fix . . . tire . . . how much . . . see you at 4:00".

The guy also kept a phone in his shirt pocket and every five minutes it would ring. Of course he would answer every call and carry on forever with them, too.

I heard him say to one caller that he was just barely paying the bills. Jeeee, ya think?

Old 02-09-2017, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 672 times
Well ,I've read everyone's story here ,, but the talkie I know about beats them all .She NEVER shuts up ! If there a second of silence and you find a opening to finally say something , you probably can get in one to two words and then she interrupts .She doesn't hear a word anyone else says , and sometimes there are very important things we need to tell her ,, but can not .One of the biggest problems with this is she repeats everything she says over and over again,, as if you didn't hear it the first 7 times . She acts as though what she had to say is so important it deserves to be repeated .I made the mistake of going shopping with her.I had helped her pick out a few things.During check out while I was trying to use my debit card and converse with the cashier my friend kept picking up her things to show me and talk about as if that was the first time I'd seen them.She's a sweet person, very loyal , very loving ,, but I can only take her in short doses .Oh and lets not ever get started on texting ,, oh my God .

Old 02-09-2017, 09:50 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,633,164 times
Kind of glad this was revived. Never saw it the first time around but this will always be a current topic.

We have a family member who talks and talks and talks. In a loud annoying tone, too.

The person is far enough away that most conversations are by phone. Years ago, we got to where when we saw the phone number calling we hated to pick up the phone. Many times we didn't.

Then we resolved to fix in our minds that we could only talk so long because we "have an appointment to get to"...and still the talking. Almost hypnotic. Hitting on an interesting issue to capture attention until you realize, hey, they're still talking when you said you had to go.

Even by phone, it was hard to fix in our minds that we had that appointment to work towards or that someone was on the porch or a customer in the office, whatever. It was difficult to say "there's the doorbell" when they heard no doorbell. And ringing it ourselves right by the doorbell would make it sound unreal...yeah, we were worrying about sounding bad:/

Then, one day, a card came in the mail. It was from a business. It started with opening the card and a nice, real sounding doorbell rang. Not too loud. Kind of like it was a few yards away. And it sounded just like ours! Life saver.

We didn't have to think about much. Just let the caller talk a while. Then open the card. Oops, gotta go, call ya later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships