Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 10:24 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvgirl1 View Post
I can't get a job and move out because I have ahearing and mental disability and noone will hire me.
Then march downtown and pick up an application for SSDI. Once you do that you do have the ability to go to work at least part time.

Right now everyone is pounding the pavement looking for work, but it's difficult in some areas. They seem to have come to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 10:27 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,681 times
Tvgirl.. yer making excuses..if you can use the net to come to forums you can get a job. Your not stupid, don't insult us or your self by being a victim.
btw, you can watch tv on netflix on the computer OR hulu which is free. Stop whining be proactive and find a job. You will be happier
Good luck

Old 11-16-2013, 10:36 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
Laugh at them and change the channel...

Old 11-16-2013, 10:37 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
Tvgirl.. yer making excuses..if you can use the net to come to forums you can get a job. Your not stupid, don't insult us or your self by being a victim.
btw, you can watch tv on netflix on the computer OR hulu which is free. Stop whining be proactive and find a job. You will be happier
Good luck
This.

I don't have t.v. but still manage to watch A LOT of television on the computer (too much, really). Even the three major networks (CBS, NBC, ABC) have websites with a lot of their programs available to watch for free. PBS may very well have the same thing going (I've never checked - I suppose I should - a little educational t.v. probably wouldn't hurt me, either).

Also, if the OP is telling the truth about being "challenged," there are programs out there designed to specifically get people like her into the workforce and to be self sufficient. Seems that if she is smart enough to find her way to City Data and figure out the most appropriate forum to post her "problem" on, she's smart enough to get on-line and look for programs local to her.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:58 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times
I think people are being rather harsh here. It's not so easy to just go get a job when you are deaf (or partially deaf) and with other mental disabilities, something that was not even elaborated on so you don't know what it is.

Yes, she should seek disability and work with organizations to help encourage schooling and job placement, but no real need for name calling here, geez.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:34 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
thing wrong. I am so upset because I have had cable tv and have been watching tv for years just fine and then all of a sudden my parents are saying I cant watch anything except for educational stuff and wont let me watch anything else. They never seemed to care before but now all of a suddent they do and I didnt do anything. Whn I asked why they wouldnt really answer.
You screen name is quite telling. Do you sit in front of a TV day and night rather than engaging in other activities? Your parents are well aware of your physical maladies, correct? If so, they are doing you a favor and trying to get you to better yourself. You can't get a job sitting in front of the big eye and being entertained is not as constructive as entertaining yourself. Humor them and give it a try with an efffort. Don't pout or throw fits as that will make things worse for you. If you are an adult, behave as one.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:37 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Being partially deaf does not render someone unemployable. Not sure what your mental disabilities are.

Regardless, unless TV is affecting your behavior, or you're watching nothing but sex and violence, I don't see why your parents should start laying down laws about what you can watch after all this time.

We're not getting the whole picture here. Something else is going on.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:59 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
I can't get a job and move out because I have ahearing and mental disability and noone will hire me.
Honey, do you have a counselor or therapist?

You and your parents needs some outside help in figuring out how to live together now that you are no longer a little girl.

It would also be helpful if they could help you find a support group of others with your type of disabilities that meets regularly.

Please ask your parents to get the 3 three of you an appt. to talk to someone so you can work out these issues and make a good plan for all your house rules.

Best of luck to you!

Old 11-16-2013, 12:04 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

I agree with Loves and wanted add every city has free programs.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 11-16-2013 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: quoted post was deleted

Old 11-16-2013, 12:53 PM

993 posts, read 1,561,293 times
Did they take away your computer, too?

You clearly know how to use the internet if you created this thread, so you should know that television is watchable on the internet these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships