Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:54 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,167,729 times

Advertisements

Thanks Joe! That's encouraging. Because actually I don't know where a camera would be hidden, actually, given that I worked on every inch of wall, ceiling and trim in that part of the house.
Although, if there WAS video, it would clearly exonerate me because if someone stole whatever it was, it certainly wouldn't show me handling plates or towels!

Just in the last summer I had two incidents where there were hidden cameras. One in a house I'd worked in several times before. I went back to paint the kitchen and when I took the fake ivy off the tops of the cabinets I uncovered four little cameras that gave a view of the kitchen, dining room and family room beyond that. I don't know if they were operational then but they had been when she had a caregiver coming in for her mother-in-law.

Also last summer my helped and I were staining a monster deck. I had a question and called the homeowner at work. During the conversation I mentioned we were sweating our butts off in the heat staining hundreds of pickets. He responded that he'd been watching us at work and said to help ourselves to cold drinks from the garage fridge. Turns out he had cameras everywhere; the ones outside were integrated with the exterior lighting.

And that's just two that I know of from this past summer. I don't think it's that unusual for people who have cleaning crews, or folks working in or around their homes, or caregivers or babysitters to have "nanny-cams."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 08:58 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,023,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
This is just a vent, I guess. I am a painting contractor. Clients routinely give me keys, garage and security codes so we can work in their homes. They trust me with their homes and property and I do my best at all times to honor their trust.

A general contractor I've worked for for about two years told me today that clients on a job I worked on for him accused me of stealing four dinner sets and some towels. According to him, their rationale was because what was taken was "women things" so it must have been me. (I am the only female subcontractor he has. About a dozen people had access to the home over the course of the job.)

I hope he is telling the truth when he told me he believed me! I feel absolutely sick over this. And very hurt. He is meeting with them early next week and they said they had hidden cameras and proof of who took their stuff. I hope they do! Because that would completely exonerate me. And clearly if one of his guys is stealing - I know them all and can't imagine who - he needs to know.

Accusing someone of stealing without incontrovertible proof is a very serious charge. If the only rationale these people had (and they seemed very nice and reasonable people) was that "women things" were stolen then that is BS because I assure you there is no possible proof I took anything, because I didn't and wouldn't.

tl;dr version: Be careful when accusing someone of something. It really hurts to be wrongly accused.
They don't. That's just being pompous to try and get a confession before their card runs out.

I've had to evict two people recently who played their cards like that. Soon as they get their eviction, they go quiet. Different subject, but same type of behavior in people.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:23 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,059,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
elhelmete, feel free to expand on your post, please!
In my particular case, it was easy and logical...at first glance...to assume one type of employee was doing the pilfering. We never had proof before cameras.

The first year we put the area under surveillance, we were shocked.

One perp was a partner in the company, two others were among the higher-paid on the team. Definitely a sense of entitlement thing versus a "low man on the totem pole" taking from the company.

I wouldn't be surprised if in your case it was a relative or close friend who took the items, if they are in fact missing.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
They don't. That's just being pompous to try and get a confession before their card runs out.

I've had to evict two people recently who played their cards like that. Soon as they get their eviction, they go quiet. Different subject, but same type of behavior in people.
That's what is weird, this couple seemed very nice and reasonable and not at all "high maintenance" or difficult clients. I liked them. So this just blindsided me, and I know it blindsided the contractor. I know he's very upset as well.

I sure hope he believes me, I think he does. I am bidding another job, a whole house, for him on Monday or Tuesday. I've done, off the top of my head, maybe 30 or so jobs for him without a single problem over the last couple of years. I haven't kept myself, and scores of employees, busy since 1979 with no advertising and word of mouth/repeat business by stealing from clients!

Old 12-20-2013, 09:38 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,059,991 times
I'm sorry you have to go through this...it sounds very stressful. At least you can prove your innocence with the video.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
In my particular case, it was easy and logical...at first glance...to assume one type of employee was doing the pilfering. We never had proof before cameras.

The first year we put the area under surveillance, we were shocked.

One perp was a partner in the company, two others were among the higher-paid on the team. Definitely a sense of entitlement thing versus a "low man on the totem pole" taking from the company.

I wouldn't be surprised if in your case it was a relative or close friend who took the items, if they are in fact missing.
Wow, I can see why that would have come as a shock. Better to know for sure than to suspect the wrong person though!

I'm thinking these things just got lost in the clutter. They had to empty everything out of three large rooms, plus a bathroom and closet, to have the work done. Why they would accuse me is a mystery, though.

Last edited by chiroptera; 12-20-2013 at 10:03 AM..

Old 12-20-2013, 09:44 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Why would anyone steal towels, anyway? It's not like they sell big on the black market. I'm sorry this is happening to you, chiroptera.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:49 AM

11,138 posts, read 9,773,353 times
I don't believe that there is a video. If there was, they would be accusing someone else, or no one at all. Why in the world would someone risk their job/reputation to steal towels or dishes? In instances like this, usually the item was boxed up and has just been misplaced. When it turns up, they will owe you a big apology.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:05 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,958,890 times
I would think they don't have video as well - if they did, why wait until next week for the big reveal?

I really hope this doesn't effect you going forward with other jobs. That would be sad. And I think it's very cool you are a female in a very male dominated job sector!

Old 12-20-2013, 11:47 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,192,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Once you are exonerated, I hope you get an apology!

I just don't get why they would accuse anyone without looking at the video first?+
Exactly. If they have a camera it should have been checked and dealt with from there. If you were wrongly accused and they had proof of who actually did it I would consider suing. Just as a matter of principle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships