Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 06:42 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

As you may or may not know, Christmas may be a very depressing time or a very happy time. I was raised by a so called foster family, my foster mom, was never strict with her own kids, but thank goodness she was with me. She didn't like confrontation, nor did she like to discipline her kids...resulting in extremely self absorbant children, who were spoiled and had no children. All 3 of them, didn't want kids.

I have one son, a daughter in law and a grandchild, and I miss them terribly....the older I become the more I miss them, even though we see each other twice a year. They live in another state.

So, this year, has been a rough year all the way around...and I always host Christmas dinner. For those of you who do so, you know it is a lot of work and money.

My one sister always goes to a brunch, and then late to my home, and then announces that she is not hungry, and can't eat much b/c she just came from a brunch. My brother is always late, once he walked in when everyone was sitting down eating at the table...and it is embarrassing?

This Christmas I was very hurt, b/c as you also know, once someone announces they are leaving, it seems everyone else leaves, and my younger sister did that...

It really really hurt and maybe Im ultra sensitive b/c people are loosing they're jobs left and right where I work.

But I just feel like writing them and telling them, I'm no longer having Christmas dinner....? I would write them a note, stating, I mean no insult, but, I was hurt by their thoughtless actions?

I mean, it's like eat and run, and we always used to sit around the table and talk? No more? Plus I made 3 pies, and they didn't want dessert? So, when my sister said she was leaving, everyone else left? Plus, they don't help clean up....? They just leave me with the mess?

Maybe I'm expecting to much, don't expect them to help me with the dishes, but to clear off the table which is huge, and help me take the leaves out would be a big help?

Also, it used to really upset me, but when my foster dad passed away, both my sisters and brother used to always be late for her dinners...and it disgusted me...she worked so hard and had to hold it for up to as much as an hour or more, and they didn't care?

What would you do...

Last edited by cremebrulee; 12-27-2013 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 06:48 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
I would go to south Florida for a decent climate for once lol. As for food, I'm not particularly picky. I love it all. But a seafood dinner would really hit the spot.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I would go to south Florida for a decent climate for once lol. As for food, I'm not particularly picky. I love it all. But a seafood dinner would really hit the spot.
I used to go away for Christmas and think I might do it again?
As for seafood, I love it, however, have grown allergic to it, and can no longer indulge....
and how do you know I don't live in a warm climate?

Old 12-27-2013, 07:15 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

But I just feel like writing them and telling them, I'm no longer having Christmas dinner....? I would write them a note, stating, I mean no insult, but, I was hurt by their thoughtless actions?

.. What would you do...
I wouldn't write to them, just don't extend the Christmas dinner invitation next year and, if they ask, tell them you're not up to it. And, as suggested, go away for a few days at Christmas and spend the money on yourself that you'd otherwise spend on making a big dinner. You'll appreciate it!

Old 12-27-2013, 07:26 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Try VERY HARD not to take it personally.

Don't have a big conversation. If they are that self-absorbed, they are clueless to your hurt feelings.

Just take a break. Next Christmas, travel out to see YOUR kids, or take a trip yourself. Break the hosting habit, and let someone else step up. If you still want to host, make it potluck.

If they don't, reserve a room at a restaurant and get SEPARATE checks.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I wouldn't write to them, just don't extend the Christmas dinner invitation next year and, if they ask, tell them you're not up to it. And, as suggested, go away for a few days at Christmas and spend the money on yourself that you'd otherwise spend on making a big dinner. You'll appreciate it!
Yes, I thought about that....like I said, did it for years before, b/c it really ticked me off, that they did that to my foster mom.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:53 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
its too close- give it a month or two...see how you feel

next december you can send out invites,,,,tell them you will have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich buffet..

Old 12-27-2013, 03:31 PM

633 posts, read 1,011,951 times
CB, ok... time to take care of yourself and stop putting yourself out there for disappointment. "Release" yourself from having this Christmas dinner on Christmas. I've had my share of sad Christmas Days.

Make a plan in November... take a few days and go away if you can afford to. As another reply said, don't even mention it to them. Just make YOUR plans. Go to another friend's house for the day. Go to the beach! Go the the movies and see several that day. I did that one year.

If they act all taken aback when you say you have other plans, pick a different day, like a Saturday after Christmas when they can all come and sit down and actually have dinner with you. Ha ha ha, or NOT!

I would not be inclined to put myself out to make dinner, and then feel unappreciated. You can't change what people do, you can't change horrible manners. It's like setting yourself up to feel bad. Life is too short!

Old 12-27-2013, 03:46 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
If you don't tell them the truth how will they ever change in the future?

Perhaps a month from now write a nice, diplomatic note saying what you used to like about family dinners.

Remember when we all sat down at the same time and enjoyed eating a great meal together? And wasn't it fun to work together helping to put the food away and to clean up? And then we sat in the living room and drank coffee & ate dessert reminiscing about all of the good times in the past for a couple of hours?

I used to ready enjoy those things and I really missed that on this Christmas.

If you think that they will not "get the hint" be blunt.

I was disappointed when some of you came and weren't hungry for my food because you already ate. I was hurt when no one wanted to eat my delicious home made pies and then when everyone left so early. I was sad that no one wanted to reminisce about old times.As you know, it is getting much harder for me to move with my (list health problems, if any) and it was extremely difficult for me to remove the table leaves, and do all of the clean-up alone. It was extremely costly to buy and time consuming to prepare all the food and to have not even one Thank You (If no one said Thank You). I was really disappointing that everyone just wanted to rush home instead of spending time together.

Next year someone else can host the Christmas dinner as, after XX number of years, I have hosted my last family celebration.

Last edited by germaine2626; 12-27-2013 at 04:36 PM..

Old 12-27-2013, 04:03 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,432 times
I don't think your expecting too much as it sounds too me your looking for what most families want on Christmas..

Companionship, talking about old times, laughter, and feeling the bond of Family!

I would give it some time as another poster mentioned and then make a phone call or write and tell your brother and sister
how you feel, and hear what they have to say.

Actions speak louder than words and their actions have hurt you. If they don't respond kindly to your phone call or you detect no change in behavior, then go spend time with your son and family next year. Or do whatever pleases YOU..

It may be time for a New Christmas tradition, being home alone reading a book..spending time with your son, or what you did
prior. Only you know what you really crave around that time of year..I hope it all works out well for you in the future..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships