Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 03:09 PM

532 posts, read 958,885 times

Advertisements

My father (85) has been hard of hearing my entire life (he does wear hearing aids), in restaurants if the server has a low voice, an accent or if there is background noise, it's hard for him to hear. My mother and I jump in immediately, he places his order, but when asked questions of apps, drinks, sides, etc., my mother and I automatically answer. Everyone is satisfied, he knows we are taking care of things, the server doesn't have to constantly repeat the question and no one is annoyed at slowing down the order. (Many times, after 1 or 2 responses from us the server directs the rest of the questions to us...we usually explain that it's difficult for him to hear).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 03:15 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
It is my feeling that if someone tells you that they are losing their filter or "have no filter" they are just saying that so that they can give them selves permission to be jerks.
good call. if someone states that they have no filter its because they want to be jerks.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:20 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainnj View Post
good call. If someone states that they have no filter its because they want to be jerks.
+1

Old 01-05-2014, 03:22 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
I can only imagine what this will be like when the current crop of annoying foodies gets old and crotchedy.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:39 PM

74 posts, read 122,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I experienced something similar with my grandmother. She would see an obese woman getting cake or something and say loudly "That woman does not need that cake!!". Mortified, I would say "Nanny, shhhh!" and she'd shout "She can't hear me!"
I wish I could post a laughing gif

Old 01-05-2014, 08:51 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,502,785 times
Be very careful when you send something back in a rude manner - I can guarantee someone has spitted or worse into your food.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:17 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
As my mother put it the other day...."As we get older, your father and I have no filter. Don't take the stuff we say seriously." They sure have changed over the last few years
I think they say the cortex changes and thins somewhat as one ages. I also feel that I'm losing my filter, to the consternation of my daughter, especially. My DH thinks it's funny... There goes his filter, too!

When I was raising them, I was SOOO careful to set a good example. Now, they're in their late 30's and early 40's. It seems nice to have them older. Much more relaxed and, well... I am not concerned with setting such a good example. What does that mean? Nothing malevolent or horrible, just not as watchful for their sake.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:40 AM

45 posts, read 100,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I never mess with people who handle my food where I can't see it.
Wise words!..

Old 01-06-2014, 11:01 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydoc View Post
I think they say the cortex changes and thins somewhat as one ages. I also feel that I'm losing my filter, to the consternation of my daughter, especially. My DH thinks it's funny... There goes his filter, too!

When I was raising them, I was SOOO careful to set a good example. Now, they're in their late 30's and early 40's. It seems nice to have them older. Much more relaxed and, well... I am not concerned with setting such a good example. What does that mean? Nothing malevolent or horrible, just not as watchful for their sake.
but its not that you lost your filter, you have chosen to stop using it.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:25 PM

206 posts, read 240,742 times
I never ever send anything back. Ever.

Are you people serious? Do you have any idea?

You send food back: I absolutely guarantee you that you lose...................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships