Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 07:53 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,058 times

Advertisements

A very close friend comes out as gay or lesbian.

Yes, I know YOU are super open minded and it would not bother YOU at all.

But how about other people you know?

Men: How would your group of male buddies respond if someone in your bowling or football drinking group comes out gay?

Women: If you have a group of close friends who you do girl things with and one of them comes out as a lesbian, how would your group respond?

(I am not asking how you would respond but your friends.)

Old 02-04-2014, 07:54 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Men: How would your group of male buddies respond if someone in your bowling or football drinking group comes out gay?
Say congrats, maybe a hug, then continue bowling.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I MYSELF support gay rights and think if you are gay, that is fine, but I would never praise or congratulate someone who comes out publically as gay/lesbian. A friend of mine came out on Facebook and he got all kinds of congratulations, which I found very odd. He accomplished nothing, did not win anything, so I don't get it.

* While he did get lots of congrats on Facebook a number of his friends dumped him passive aggressively.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:27 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,206,384 times
Quote:
I MYSELF support gay rights and think if you are gay, that is fine, but I would never praise or congratulate someone who comes out publically as gay/lesbian. A friend of mine came out on Facebook and he got all kinds of congratulations, which I found very odd. He accomplished nothing, did not win anything, so I don't get it.

* While he did get lots of congrats on Facebook a number of his friends dumped him passive aggressively.
People tend to congratulate those who show courage and overcome adversity to achieve a goal. In this case, the goal is self-acceptance (coming out of the closet), the adversity would be a clueless society, the courage would be required to deal with the clueless society.

As I am accepting of homosexuals, it would stand to reason that my friends do, too, because I do not hang around with bigots and homophobes. So they would say what I say, "Cool! Congrats on coming out."

It's ridiculous that this is even a question in this day and age.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:33 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
Quote:

Women: If you have a group of close friends who you do girl things with and one of them comes out as a lesbian, how would your group respond?

(I am not asking how you would respond but your friends.)

OP, why do you care how my friends would react but not me? It's silly that you put this caveat on your question. It boggles the mind, really - you want me to speak on how I think my friends would react, but not how I know I would react?

You need a hobby, OP.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:35 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,219,313 times
Quote:
This.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:35 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,861,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
People tend to congratulate those who show courage and overcome adversity to achieve a goal. In this case, the goal is self-acceptance (coming out of the closet), the adversity would be a clueless society, the courage would be required to deal with the clueless society.

As I am accepting of homosexuals, it would stand to reason that my friends do, too, because I do not hang around with bigots and homophobes. So they would say what I say, "Cool! Congrats on coming out."

It's ridiculous that this is even a question in this day and age.
Exactly!

Old 02-04-2014, 08:54 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,067,667 times
Quote:
Typical Gay-o-phile response.

I would say I dont care. Keep it to yourself.

Since when does a congratulatory response be necessary when someone discloses with whom they cluck the duck.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
OP, why do you care how my friends would react but not me? It's silly that you put this caveat on your question. It boggles the mind, really - you want me to speak on how I think my friends would react, but not how I know I would react?

You need a hobby, OP.
Because I know from experience that most people on this board would say how open and accepting they are. The question deals with the acceptance someone who comes out is going to experience from a group of friends, not you.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:12 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,273,755 times
I wouldn't congratulate either. I wouldn't congratulate a friend who had just started dating someone of the opposite sex either.. I mean since when is who someone chooses to date and sleep with worthy of anything other than a "ok.." Lol. People make such a huge deal out of gay/lesbian couples or relationships and its just so PC to me.

In terms of how my other friends would react. It would be a mixed bag. Some wouldn't give two s**** and would wonder why it was being made this big thing, others might be disgusted and might even act weird and put distance... No one would say "yay! I'm proud of you" though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships