Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 04:16 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,852,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
O
Some babies are butt ugly? Yes, some babies are "cuter" than others, but I don't think I've ever seen a butt ugly baby. Butt ugly men, perhaps, but not butt ugly babies.
I kid you not I saw a baby once that looked like a persian cat with messed up eyes. It was the weirdest thing. And other people thought this too because when they would see her they instantly got a look on their faces like "oh wow what's wrong with her?". She grew into a normal looking toddler, but yikes those infant years were rough.

As for kids, no I don't like spending time with them. For someone reason people feel the need to bring their kids in on summer fridays to "meet" everyone. All they do is scream and run around and break things and everyone says "awwwww". One time everyone was taking turns holding one baby and I purposely stayed at my desk, and the woman came and found me and wanted me to hold the baby. I made up an excuse about allergies and illness and not washing my hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 04:47 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,789,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
You work with kids?

After all you've said here, I feel awful for you if that's true. That must be torturous!
Yeah some people don't really have a choice. If you go into linguistics for example working with special needs kids might be the only employment option.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:54 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,789,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I kid you not I saw a baby once that looked like a persian cat with messed up eyes. It was the weirdest thing. And other people thought this too because when they would see her they instantly got a look on their faces like "oh wow what's wrong with her?". She grew into a normal looking toddler, but yikes those infant years were rough.

As for kids, no I don't like spending time with them. For someone reason people feel the need to bring their kids in on summer fridays to "meet" everyone. All they do is scream and run around and break things and everyone says "awwwww". One time everyone was taking turns holding one baby and I purposely stayed at my desk, and the woman came and found me and wanted me to hold the baby. I made up an excuse about allergies and illness and not washing my hands.
I think the adults worshiping the kids is much more annoying than the tykes themselves.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:13 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,944,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
It's not that I hate kids or anything, but I just always feel really nervous around them. I'm afraid I am going to bump into them and their yelling and energy makes me nervous, also the way people are so overprotective of them adds to that nervous feeling. I also don't find most children particularly cute, I find being around them tiring. I find people gaga-ing endlessly about stupid stuff kids do very annoying, a lot of the time the kid isn't even that cute.

I love the kids in my family like my little siblings but even with them I get sort of annoyed with how many questions they ask and how they are always wanting to show me stuff and I have to pretend to find it interesting. I never quite bonded with them the way my brother and sister did, they are my stepdad and mom's kids and I've always felt really badly about this. I guess I felt like my mom kind of abandoned me emotionally after my stepdad and them came into my life

I am pretty patient about dealing with children but inside sometimes I wanna scream. Am I just mean or is this a pretty normal way to feel? I mean I'm sure I'd like my OWN kids if I ever have any

I guess I am more of a cat person
Perfectly normal. Especially if a person didn't grow up around them.

In fact, you'll find that step parents with NO kids (especially women) think the spouse's kids have all these "defects" then when they have their own their oh so wonderful.

Having kids is LIFELONG WORK, not a walk in the park. So don't worry about it.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:14 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,391,445 times
If they are quiet, I don't mind. But if they are screaming I'm ready to scream too

Old 02-24-2014, 06:00 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,599,053 times
I remember being terribly nervous around newborns. It seems that every woman I worked with that gave birth - had to bring the baby in for the obligatory oohs and aaaahs AND everyone had to hold the baby.

I was terrified I would drop it on it's head.

I felt that way immediately after my son was born as well - TERRIFIED that I would do something wrong.

Even with my own son = that newborn phase was not my favorite.

Toddlers - love 'em.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:01 PM

11,403 posts, read 9,325,468 times
I'm glad I never had children. I made sure it would never happen by choosing trusting partners. A discussion always took place before I ever got involved with anyone.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:04 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,907,621 times
OPK (other people's kids) are not the same to me as my own were. I like kids, but am not crazy about being around them sometimes, especially if they are loud and misbehaved. Hate to say it, but I kinda like animals better. I know that sounds horrible, but it is true.

Don

Old 02-24-2014, 06:05 PM

147 posts, read 178,905 times
Love, love kids, but they are a blank slate. There's a lot of nutso parents out there, with their own ideas of how kids should be raised. Now that can be a problem.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:18 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,175,097 times
I absolutely love kids. Been working with them for the past 4 years (summer jobs, babysitting, volunteer work, etc) and it's honestly been the most fun thing I'll ever do. They're far more genuine human beings than most of my peers and most adults, which I admire greatly. They're funny because they're cute and they're also surprisingly smart, logical, and insightful at times. I can't wait to be a parent!

OP, when your siblings try to show you stuff, they just want your attention. Give them the attention they want, even for a little bit, and they'll be beyond grateful. As I've learned, just showing a little bit of interest in kids goes a long way; just play a game with them or something and they will look up to you like you are the pinnacle of humanity. Spend a little time with them and maybe you'll get a glimpse of what being around kids is really like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships