Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 01:27 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
You seem to be under the impression that you are a child, not a grown man. Why is that?

It's how he's been raised, coupled with guilt and manipulation, essentially a form of emotional abuse. It's not easy to simply shake off, especially while you're living under their roof. I hope he gets clarity and can achieve his own growth once he has both figuratively and literally put some distance between he and his parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 01:51 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
It's how he's been raised, coupled with guilt and manipulation, essentially a form of emotional abuse. It's not easy to simply shake off, especially while you're living under their roof. I hope he gets clarity and can achieve his own growth once he has both figuratively and literally put some distance between he and his parents.
I graduated tonight.

So I guess after this, nothing should really be holding me back anymore.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:03 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Class is wrapping up in two weeks, I graduate on the May 12th.

Just putting that out there.
your days of growing up and being an adult have come to fruition...work is and always will be a part of your life for the rest of your life....if I were you, I'd consentrate on becoming completely independent of family by keeping the job and finding another...as soon as you can....I know it surely is tempting and exciting to take a road trip, but if you are not financially stable to be independent, then why do it?

My advice to you is, work for everything you want and pursue your dreams....but don't, and I mean don't, date and have to get married. Travel first...education above all else, but travel is an education in itself...when you travel, by yourself....you will become more learned about yourself....your wants and needs....and when you enjoy the company you keep in yourself....you will then be mature enough to take on the responsiblity of a family, but for now, keep your nose clean and keep that job.

Get your butt in school, and remember, you will work 75% of your life, so you better find a job you enjoy...and one more thing...

Work is an education, so the more jobs you take, the more you will be able to be self sufficent....go get an education in construction, both home and highway construction, plumbing, and electrical work, believe me, it will come in handy in the future...there is no job that you will do in your life, that you will learn nothing from...every experience teaches you something, if only how to endure something you dislike, which will help you to pursue something a bit more suitable.

When you own your own home, if you learn how to do construction, you will be able to roof, repair, etc...if you do heavy and highway construction, you will learn how to pave, both concrete and blacktop, plus how to lay a stone grade for new paving. So, do everything you can to learn...while going to school.

There isn't anything you can't do, if you put your mind to it.

wishing you lots and lots of great experiences....and so many interesting people to meet. Life is the Miracle, you make them come true.

Creme

Old 05-13-2014, 07:16 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
I graduated tonight.

So I guess after this, nothing should really be holding me back anymore.
Do you expect someone to take your hand and lead you to the door or something?

Your bags should have been packed already, and you should have left directly after graduation.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:53 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Did you decide to get a rental? And you are leaving tomorrow?

Honestly I think you are being overly maudlin and dramatic about graduating college when it was such a horribly negative period of your life.

I would be on the road already if it was me. 3 hours after I graduated I was roaring down I-64 to the beach!

Old 05-13-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Did you decide to get a rental? And you are leaving tomorrow?

Honestly I think you are being overly maudlin and dramatic about graduating college when it was such a horribly negative period of your life.

I would be on the road already if it was me. 3 hours after I graduated I was roaring down I-64 to the beach!
I am getting a rental this afternoon. I leave tomorrow morning.

These last few years had a lot of good and bad. Last night just showed, that yes, I can beat it.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:37 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Expect your parents to pull a stunt tonight, but don't let it stop you.

Drive carefully and have a great time.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:11 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,825,782 times
Congratulations, Kid!

On with you, now! Take your trip and move forward from there! Have fun! Let us know how it goes.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:21 PM

Last minute, but I've decided to fly out and get a rent a car out there.

Pushes it back a day. And yes I know some of you will be frustrated at me about this, but it was a financial decision.

Last edited by Desert kid; 05-13-2014 at 11:32 PM..

Old 05-13-2014, 11:44 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Last minute, but I've decided to fly out and get a rent a car out there.

Pushes it back a day. And yes I know some of you will be frustrated at me about this, but it was a financial decision.
Whose---your dad's?

How did we know your plans were going to change dramatically at the last moment. What are the other compromises you are making? Shorter trip? Staying in one place instead of traveling cross country?

Because if you are still planning to see the country, you obviously will be flying out and driving back. So you bought a last minute, one-way plane ticket, and are now paying the steep drop off rate when you return the rental to a different location.

Yeah, I am sure you saved a LOT of money on that deal.

Tell the truth, what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships