Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 12:54 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,287,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
But that is because of the way YOU set them. It goes back to it being your responsibility to turn off your sound when you don't want to be disturbed.
I want to be able to hear the text messages I receive, even in the middle of the night. Occasionally, they are important. If it's not important, send an email. Most people get to those with no urgency
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 03:16 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,122,047 times
In general, I think it is up to the individual to keep their phone quiet if they don't want to be disturbed. I try not to text or call people when I think they are sleeping out of courtesy, but in this case it was an accident, and I think this situation falls a little outside of the norm because OP isn't working a typical 8 to 5 kind of day job. I turn my phone to silent at night if I don't want to be bothered. Most phones have a feature that will allow you to adjust who can call you, and you could even be old school and have a home phone. My parents have one and I know I can reach them on that in the middle of the night if there's an emergency. The only communication I see as expecting an immediate response is a phone call. Otherwise, I respond to texts and e-mails as I have time.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:51 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,225,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I want to be able to hear the text messages I receive, even in the middle of the night. Occasionally, they are important. If it's not important, send an email. Most people get to those with no urgency
Most people get texts with no urgency too. If someone wants my attention in the middle of the night, they better call.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:02 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,287,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Most people get texts with no urgency too. If someone wants my attention in the middle of the night, they better call.
Texts are typically viewed as a more immediate form of communication than email. If I send someone a text, I expect that if they are available, they will respond right back. If I send an email, it wouldn't surprise me if it takes a while to reply. If there were no difference in the perceived speed of communication, then we would all just email. Why bother texting if it's not more immediate?

Old 04-29-2014, 08:40 PM

3,981 posts, read 2,581,977 times
I think it would have been kind of you to explain how you had expected to send it in the morning but had accidentally sent it. It does not matter where they had their phone, didn't have the phone ringer off or not, nor that they complained. They complained because they were interrupted it. Yes, you could let them know that nighttime emails interrupts your sleep if that bothers you. Do it now, while you have the attention on texting/ emailing during late nights.

You could still apologize- not for a wrong-doing but for not expecting to have sent it. It keeps the peace and is the polite thing to do.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:20 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,554,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
If I get a middle-of-the-night text, there better be broken limbs or massive blood loss involved.
Otherwise apologize and I'll forgive you, just once.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:54 PM

160 posts, read 267,466 times
Big deal a text went out in error in the middle of the night...Woop Woop... My co-worker was calling me non-stop at 6 am asking me to cover for her that day...she was afraid of not getting coverage and getting trouble and we laughed it off. People need to lighten up and stop trying to pretend they are so proper and never make small errors.

They need to get over it already, how many times are you suppose to apologize. What a bunch of tightly wound seahags.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:36 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,320,776 times
My phone is always on the table next to my bed because I want my family to be able to reach me at any time. So...a text would wake me. I wouldn't be mad, just scared to receive one in the middle of the night.

Last edited by Georgianbelle; 04-30-2014 at 04:36 AM..

Old 04-30-2014, 04:21 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,768,215 times
If you really thought it was no big deal you wouldn't have gone "oh crap" when you sent it, nor apologized. The people you texted have a right to be irked, and you have no business now trying to justify the badly timed text by blaming them for being "too attached" to their phones. I would be more annoyed by the attempt to blame someone else for your mistake than the actual mistake itself.

You made a mistake, it is not appropriate to text people, especially employees, in the middle of the night, you apologized, and that should be the end of it.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:29 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,768,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am not ticked. I am surprised. Please don't confuse my interest in this concept and some mental masturbation talking about it as some festering need to be right.
I have no interest in bothering anyone. Just fascinated that there are unspoken rules that can be broken under some circumstances and not others.
Actually, it is clearly that.

It is not an unspoken rule, it is basic common sense and courtesy. Texts use a phone, they are not email, and it is basic common courtesy to use email for things such as this rather than to text someone in the middle of the night. And under what circumstance is it a courtesy that can be acceptably "broken" by a co-worker?

If you wouldn't call in the middle of the night, don't text. It is ridiculous to expect people to deal with their phones in a manner you find acceptable just so you can blame them for what was a simple and small mistake on your part.

Your need to blame them for not turning of their phones, or sleeping with their phones nearby, not using their phones features according to your needs or being to attached to their phones is absolutely mind boggling and absolutely smack of the "need to be right". Stop blaming them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships