Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 06:21 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Well good for you, that is fantastic that you are a writer, but not all of us are or will even come close....soooooo?
I don't understand your response or the sarcasm within.

Do you not agree that three-sentence paragraphs are easiest to read? Do you have some sort of disability that requires you to write long, rambling, unpunctuated "sentences" using words that don't exist?

Or are you simply unwilling to adapt your style moderately to make it easier for others to read and comprehend?

I simply can't relate to that level of self-centredness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 06:33 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

Do you not agree that three-sentence paragraphs are easiest to read? Do you have some sort of disability that requires you to write long, rambling, unpunctuated "sentences" using words that don't exist?

Or are you simply unwilling to adapt your style moderately to make it easier for others to read and comprehend?

There was no sarcasm intended, on the contrary, I'm thorougly impressed with writers....

Zen, I'm not going any further with this remark, I've seen a whole lot of your other posts and you come off extremely cruel....

Old 05-06-2014, 06:48 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

This is the kind of thing I was talking about. There's a lot to learn from others as far as writing goes. I'll take the three sentence paragraph into consideration. I never thought about it before. As long as posts aren't walls of text I figured it was good, but I see your point.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:15 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
then why read them at all....

Your exhausted after reading them?????? Doesn't make any sense.....
Because I choose to, and that's all the reason I need. No need to justify it to anyone.

And by the way, "your" and "you're" are different words with different meanings.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:18 AM

To the person who just reped me, your very welcome....and I'm so sorry this happens to you.
I mean a person can feel that way, but to actually go into a thread and post it? There are always a few, yanno?

Hugs and please don't let it stop you, remember they are only people behind a screen who like to bully and shut you up, don't allow them to do that....

Old 05-06-2014, 11:13 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Yes, well, agreed, and I'm probably guilty of that a lot, however, still think it is awfully rude, if you go into a thread and you see it's long, simple, then don't read it, don't comment....but to make a negative comment about the op post, is just awful rude....

and yes, some of us are just not very good at writing....

What you perceive as rude others may perceive as normal conversation not intended to be anything else but an opinion. Good communication skills can get lost in type written words. It kind of loses the human touch without the body language that goes along with it. A snarky comment with a smile comes across as a joke. A snarky comment with a frown and a stern voice comes across as something totally different. How do you convey that in print? I can't take forums too seriously because sometimes you just don't know what the intent really was. Granted there are some real rectums that are just plain mean. I think the moderators do a pretty good job weeding them out. Add to the mix that everyone has the right to express an opinion that you may or may not agree with that needs to be respected. I think keeping it in perspective and having a bit of a thicker skin is the key when you're exposing yourself to a wide audience on a public forum. If you started this thread because you need vindication for someone that hurt your feelings then I hope you find what you're looking for. If you're looking for honest answers then be prepared to hear something you may not want to hear.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
What you perceive as rude others may perceive as normal conversation not intended to be anything else but an opinion. Good communication skills can get lost in type written words. It kind of loses the human touch without the body language that goes along with it. A snarky comment with a smile comes across as a joke. A snarky comment with a frown and a stern voice comes across as something totally different. How do you convey that in print? I can't take forums too seriously because sometimes you just don't know what the intent really was. Granted there are some real rectums that are just plain mean. I think the moderators do a pretty good job weeding them out. Add to the mix that everyone has the right to express an opinion that you may or may not agree with that needs to be respected. I think keeping it in perspective and having a bit of a thicker skin is the key when you're exposing yourself to a wide audience on a public forum. If you started this thread because you need vindication for someone that hurt your feelings then I hope you find what you're looking for. If you're looking for honest answers then be prepared to hear something you may not want to hear.
I've been a member of this forum for a pretty long time now, and the snarky comments were not there years ago....
but I do know what your talking about...no, actually I went into a thread, not mine, and saw a snarky uncalled for comment and decided to post this, to see what kind of response I would get...and I'm not at all surprised...and yes, some real rectums....
however, I am prepared at this point, believe me....
thank you

Old 05-06-2014, 11:38 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
I feel this way when I read a post that is poorly written; especially if it lacks structure or is one long blog without any paragraphs.

The purpose of the written language is to communicate a message. If the message is not immediately clear, then it needs to be rewritten, otherwise you will lose your reader.

This is especially true for technical manuals and internet posts - these types of writing benefit from KISS (keep it short & simple).

As for true literature . . . that's a whole different, and frequently long-winded, story!

Last edited by MissNM; 05-06-2014 at 12:04 PM..

Old 05-06-2014, 11:59 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
My goodness, what is wrong with the younger generation today, talk about instant gratification and not wanting to read.
Your solution to your annoyance with rude people is start a thread bashing the entire younger generation?

I am also perplexedwhy you don't understand that the reason people are annoyed by long rambling huge paragraph posts with bad grammar that changes the meaning of what the person is trying to say is that they are DIFFICULT and almost impossible to decipher. Wanting to read something that is comprehensive has nothing to do with "instant gratification". It's about being able to CORRECTLY UNDERSTAND the problem/situation in order to be able to offer useful advice.

For every person who is rude there are probably dozens of people who feel the same way but are too polite to say anything. I'm one of them.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Your solution to your annoyance with rude people is start a thread bashing the entire younger generation?

I am also perplexedwhy you don't understand that the reason people are annoyed by long rambling huge paragraph posts with bad grammar that changes the meaning of what the person is trying to say is that they are DIFFICULT and almost impossible to decipher. Wanting to read something that is comprehensive has nothing to do with "instant gratification". It's about being able to CORRECTLY UNDERSTAND the problem/situation in order to be able to offer useful advice.

For every person who is rude there are probably dozens of people who feel the same way but are too polite to say anything. I'm one of them.

Then don't read it, why in the world would you go into a thread and write something negative?
and by the way, this represents the younger generation, I've gotten very few nice comments, only angry disgrunteled comments, which proves my point....there are a whole lot of angry people out there who really get off on being purposely rude to others because, and excuse me, they are writing with bad grammer or cannot spell or do not use paragraphs.....rude, simply rude....and I know a whole lot of young people who are not like this....actually, I've shown this thread to a few of my younger friends and all they can do is shake their heads in amazement at the disdain for people, one of them even said, "hell, can you believe the amount of women who came into this thread with fists raised, defending why they act so rudely to others?"

Your actions represent others, the way you think, the way you react....and by how nasty you can be...oh, and one of my friends said, God forbid they have children, they will grow up with the same aloof attitude towards others...?

I care not if you agree, don't agree, what I care about are the newer members who are young who want to participate and you bully them out...

and for every person that is rude, yes, there are probably dozens of people who do feel the same way, however, when push comes to shove, they are much gentler with their words....

and I apologize to those who do not bash others in threads....and to the younger generation, it is just so frustrating when you see people counteract a newer posters feelings with rudeness and disdain....as I said before, some of the women in here are vile and dilberately rude to arouse attention and to literally devalue a person's feelings....

I thought starting this thread would perhaps wake some people up, attitudes like this, scare people away, but then I guess it doesn't matter...no wonder the men in this forum are down on most of the women here....ya'll are so frigin angry...and it shows in your words...

So what...does being confrontational mean that much to you, or is it being right?

Grammer police, sheesh....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships