Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 04:34 AM

28,948 posts, read 30,301,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
All one has to do is glance at something to see how long it is. If it's too long for your attention span, why not just skip to another conversation? There are plenty of them here. Some discussion groups have word limits on posts. This one doesn't to my knowledge. If someone wants to take advantage of that, it doesn't bother me. If I'm bored or confused, I'll stop reading.
thank you that would be the considerate thing to do....good for you, you get reps, thank you...it's nice to know....doesn't make sense to deliberately go in, and write something mean to hurt their feelings?

Me I don't care, got pretty thick skin, but you get a newbie or someone who doesn't have their head of their arse, who write lengthy posts, and then some snob goes in and writes, Oh, I'm so exhausted.... from reading this? I mean, Seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I went back and re-read the thread I believe you're referring to and my comment in it.

My comment about "exhausting" was not meant as a dig to you, but it was an honest response to the situation you were having trouble with and described in great length. What I took from it was a boatload of petty drama festering among a group of 'friends' and an amazing level of detail describing the drama play-by-play. That's why i said it sounded like an exhausting set of friends.

As far as skipping over, I do skip over threads that don't interest me at all, but friendship and relationships are topics that do interest me so I read and comment.
yanno what, honestly, I've been reading those kind of comments for a while now in many threads...so, I don't know who posted them and don't care...don't even remember what threads they were...I'm just saying, it takes a lot more character to just move on, then be mean with your words...and I don't mean you personally, I mean you in general. It's nice for some people when home ridden, to be a part of something and write in here...be it they can spell or not, have good grammer or not, and or, use the correct spacing of paragraphs....that's little stuff, and if it makes you tired, then move on to something else easier...cuz there are a lot of people who would read it and give their advice or opinions.

But to be down right mean with words is just plain cruel and nonthinking...

Old 05-06-2014, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Lots of back and forth, poor punctuation, few paragraphs, excessive detail.... all of these things make for posts that I have no desire to read. I don't see it as rude - I see it as letting the OP know they need to be more courteous to the reader - you know, the person they are usually asking for free advice. I try to write clear, well-thought-out and concise responses. When I ask questions on the boards, I review my posts to see if I have written something that will be difficult to read. I don't expect everyone to be a great writer, but a little proofing and organization is not taken amiss.
well, then, if it is more courteous to the reader, it might not be a bad idea to consider the writers feelings as well....

Old 05-06-2014, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
Ah, the old "tl;dr (too long; didn't read)".

The thing is, our high school English teachers were right to make us write in paragraphs that end at maybe 5-7 sentences. Otherwise, it does get unmanageable, especially when the punctuation is suspect. Sentence and paragraph structure, with all its arguably annoying commas, semicolons, breaks and such, makes most things much less ofa headache to read.
Then don't read it....I'm not challenging what you believe at all, but what I am challenging are the snobs that go in and leave rude comments if the post is long...I'm not a writer, nor do I care about semicolons and so forth....

read it or not, but to go into a post like some snob with a master's degree in English and grammer is pointless and rude. Like I said, if it's going to give you a headache by all means, don't read, just move on...

Old 05-06-2014, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't mind long posts if they are well written, concise, and have some depth in content. I also think it's a benefit to the writer to be corrected about poor grammar and spelling. I've been corrected a number of times on this forum and it's really a favor imo. With that said, we're all going to differ on what we find interesting and relevant to write about. One man's garbage is another man's gold, etc.
yanno what, I can agree to a point....

I just cannot believe how many women have come into this thread and said the same thing....

and yes, exactly, we are all going to differ on what we find interesting reads, to my point....then move on if you don't like what someone has to say, but to be down right confrontational and mean is senseless and wrong to do to a fellow human being...as I said, none of us have any idea who is behind the pen, if they are mentally challenged and just want to belong to something, yanno? But, noooooahhhhh, it seems to me, that people come in here who are very angry and pick on others just for the fun of it...and are extremely mean with their words...why? What do they get out of hurting someone's feelings....we have the right to disagree, we have the right to participate, we have the right to think differently then others, but we don't have a right to be mean to fellow human beings that are learning, and trying to participate....fine, if someone is a grammer queen, great, and fine if there is way to much drama for some....then skip on to the next, takes a whole lot more energy to be mean then it does to be nice.

I've seen some men make comments about the women in here....and am seeing by this thread, they are right....I'm sorry, but to be arbitrarily mean to someone b/c they are not as smart as some people think they are, is wrong, hurtful and let me tell you, I had a paster who said once, "Words can kill, just as easily as if you held a gun to someone's head." And she was right....they can....so what I'm saying is, and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in here....if it makes you so tired to read then skip onto the next, and I don't mean you personally, I'm speaking to everyone in this thread....people for some reason have become rude, impatient, unkind and just down right cruel....and I don't get how that makes them feel any better about themselves when they talk to someone like that?

Old 05-06-2014, 04:52 AM

4,063 posts, read 2,145,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm just saying, it takes a lot more character to just move on, then be mean with your words
But to be down right mean with words is just plain cruel and nonthinking...
I agree! There is a saying that I believe is Buddhist or from an Indian yogi that suggests people consider the following before they speak (write) their words?

Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it necessary?

I have no difficulty speaking the truth, but occasionally have problems saying things that aren't kind---and often say things that aren't necessary.

It would make this forum/the Internet/the world a better place if people would ask themselves these questions and adjust their behavior accordingly.

I also think it's silly/rude/nonproductive when someone posts something and the response is "get a life." All of us who participate here are spending a (hopefully) fraction of our lives on an Internet forum, so the "get a life" taunt could easily be tossed back at the person who said it! And we all choose to live life differently, so best not to be judgmental about what works for another person.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I am a writer and rarely write a paragraph of more than 3 sentences.

Well good for you, that is fantastic that you are a writer, but not all of us are or will even come close....soooooo?

Old 05-06-2014, 05:18 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,207,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
My goodness, what is wrong with the younger generation today, talk about instant gratification and not wanting to read....I've gone into several threads, including my own, where someone comes in and writes,
"God, I'm exhausted reading this"....well, don't you think that is blatenly rude, and if you feel that way, why even read it to begin with, then comment about it?

I suppose people just don't like reading in today's world?

What is your take, or am I being touchy?

I just think that is so rude?
My experience with discussion groups began with Netnews in the late 80's when I worked in an large computer center. Individual postings were as long as they needed to be and the interplay between one poster and usual several others meant that there was real discussion...and not just cannon shots across the bow. Intelligent discussion with postings of varying lengths often lasted weeks. Some of them were so good that I saved print copies, and only recently got rid of them.

With the deluge of adolescent net users (and other groups) in the 90's the amount of spam and harassment became so thick that groups of this quality level simply died. The culture of the 90's in general, and the computer culture in particular was simply not interested in that level of discourse. The post-80's decades have seen a profound intensifying of the changes of the early 90's.

I have no doubt the length of Tweets will be considered excessive before long, and their content entirely too intellectual.

Bottom line: You - and certainly I - are showing roots buried deep in a different era of American life. I would think that if it was the sheer length of a posting (as opposed to its content) that was appalling that all it would take is one look....and then, pass it by without a remark. If the content is presented in a convoluted and confusing manner, then I think that is something appropriate to comment on, if you as a reader find that a major problem to understanding the topic.

In the days of my long ago youth there were bumper car rides in the carnivals and amusement parks. The point of bumper cars was to slam into someone one, twice, three times and then spin away. "Discussions" in on the internet have been conducted in the same way for at least two decades. But then so are most social and political interactions.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
My experience with discussion groups began with Netnews in the late 80's when I worked in an large computer center. Individual postings were as long as they needed to be and the interplay between one poster and usual several others meant that there was real discussion...and not just cannon shots across the bow. Intelligent discussion with postings of varying lengths often lasted weeks. Some of them were so good that I saved print copies, and only recently got rid of them.

With the deluge of adolescent net users (and other groups) in the 90's the amount of spam and harassment became so thick that groups of this quality level simply died. The culture of the 90's in general, and the computer culture in particular was simply not interested in that level of discourse. The post-80's decades have seen a profound intensifying of the changes of the early 90's.

I have no doubt the length of Tweets will be considered excessive before long, and their content entirely too intellectual.

Bottom line: You - and certainly I - are showing roots buried deep in a different era of American life. I would think that if it was the sheer length of a posting (as opposed to its content) that was appalling that all it would take is one look....and then, pass it by without a remark. If the content is presented in a convoluted and confusing manner, then I think that is something appropriate to comment on, if you as a reader find that a major problem to understanding the topic.

In the days of my long ago youth there were bumper car rides in the carnivals and amusement parks. The point of bumper cars was to slam into someone one, twice, three times and then spin away. "Discussions" in on the internet have been conducted in the same way for at least two decades. But then so are most social and political interactions.
Thank you, very far way of looking at it....and interesting post...enjoyed reading....thank you

yes, actually kinda makes me sad to see how cruel people are to others....sometimes to the point of tears....I always think, My gosh, you have no idea who wrote that, what if that person is mentally challenged and just wants to participate, or belong to something, or what if that person has parkinson's disease, or something....but to rush in like some snob, and react in a cruel insensitive way to me, is just plain mean spirited and for what, and why?

And yes, a whole different America, way of life, people react without thinking, and actually bully others, no wonder kids are the way they are today? Things have changed very rapidly and for the worst in these forums....it's like people cannot wait to get up in the morning to come in here to be mean to others....sheeesh? I don't get that and never will. You can disagree, you can be much smarter then others, but to blatenly go out of your way to be this way?

thank you!

Old 05-06-2014, 06:07 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,207,197 times
I don't know why you have to attack women. There are plenty of guys in this thread and wasn't the exhausted comment made by a guy? Sorry if I have that wrong, but I don't know how a person can charge others with being negative while you are one the more negative posters on this forum. You always have something nasty to say about somebody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships