Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 12:04 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times

Advertisements

He has nothing to be ashamed of. I'd be proud of someone who actually bootstrapped their way up, which so many on these boards don't seem to think can be done.

I have doubled my income this year and have heard from a few people who are bitter about it or don't think I should have left my first job out of school. Those people are bitter, often aren't doing well themselves, and want everyone else to sink with them. He needs to stop talking to people this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 01:40 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,381,258 times
His job & salary are nobody else's business anyway. If parents & friends are giving him a hard time because they "don't know", then why doesn't he set them straight? This situation doesn't make much sense to me.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:20 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
[quote=Rocco Barbosa;35172651]Not really. Each move I make, my requirement is that my salary increases by $20k or more.

Not very hard to go from $8/hr to $100K.[/quote]

Oh really??

Old 06-10-2014, 04:33 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,180,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Not very hard to go from $8/hr to $100K.
Maybe if you're an astrophysicist who decided that his entry level job should be at Burger King. Other than that, it is nearly impossible without a highly credentialed work history. Most people will never see $100k/yr in their lifetime (in today's dollars) even with a degree.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:39 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Maybe if you're an astrophysicist who decided that his entry level job should be at Burger King. Other than that, it is nearly impossible without a highly credentialed work history. Most people will never see $100k/yr in their lifetime (in today's dollars) even with a degree.
The bolded-that's not entirely true. Depends on the line of work too. I make that salary and I don't have a Master's degree or PhD.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:03 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,479,264 times
In some scenarios (given geography, industry, etc.), the only way to make significant strides like this IS to job hop. In an IT environment, I had coworkers who "job hopped" all the time. Here it's in quotes because they would jump ship on average after working 2 years on the job, so it wasn't this extreme (4 in 3 years). One left after 8 months since the job description barely matched what he ended up doing (but he worked the previous project for over 3 years).

At that same place, one of my coworkers who was making $60K at the time would've gotten a 6% raise (amongst the higher raises) if he stayed with the company. Another company he interviewed with would give him a 50% raise to work for them. Everything else was more or less equal, so he went for the higher pay. Our product manager came in and tried to convince him to stay saying "we're getting new business", which he mentally called him out on being bs. The problem was, our current company wanted to keep those employees, but they weren't willing to pay the $$ to do so. So it was in their interest to leave and move on.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:03 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,180,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
The bolded-that's not entirely true. Depends on the line of work too. I make that salary and I don't have a Master's degree or PhD.
But you do have a bachelor's degree, right? Like I said "without a degree." Meaning: no college based credentials. I also said, "Highly credentialed work history..." Read: a good amount of experience.

And, yes, it is entirely true that most people (read: not all) won't see $100k annually in today's dollars even with a degree. The average, degreed wage earner can expect to make around $2.6 million in 2012 dollars over the course of a 40 year career span (roughly $65k/yr). The average, non-degreed wage earner can expect to make $1.7 million in 2012 dollars over the course that same span (roughly $42.5k/yr).

Old 06-11-2014, 11:41 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Your buddy's parents ain't familiar with the labor market today. You almost have to switch companies to make any headway in responsibility and pay. They should butt out
I've found that a lot of baby boomers are not familiar with the labor market today. I have family members that think leaving any job even if you've been there several years and are at a dead end is job hopping.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:10 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
Quote:
Quote:
But you do have a bachelor's degree, right? Like I said "without a degree." Meaning: no college based credentials. I also said, "Highly credentialed work history..." Read: a good amount of experience.

And, yes, it is entirely true that most people (read: not all) won't see $100k annually in today's dollars even with a degree. The average, degreed wage earner can expect to make around $2.6 million in 2012 dollars over the course of a 40 year career span (roughly $65k/yr). The average, non-degreed wage earner can expect to make $1.7 million in 2012 dollars over the course that same span (roughly $42.5k/yr).
No, you said "even with a degree" and you mentioned astrophysicist. In NYC, the field I am in starts at a competitive salary at about $75k and it does not require 10 years of work history. Many banking positions start at a high salary with a bachelor's degree. If you come to my office, a good amount of my collegues are making more than $100k, as well as similar departments in my company. Depending on LOCATION, most people will not earn $100k. We have offices in 2 other states where the median salary is half of that. Location, location, location. My husband has no college education and he makes $80k because that is the going salary for his line of work.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:14 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,833,754 times
Why does his family even know about the job-hopping unless they were supporting him in-between? If that's the case, even though I feel bad for the guy, I can understand their point. If that's not the case, they didn't need to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships