Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 07:43 PM

205 posts, read 245,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I have a buddy that was divorced and lost everything. He ended up in a homeless shelter. Not only that, it was during a time when the economy was at it's worst.

In the last 3 years, my buddy has had 4 jobs and his family and friends are giving him a hard time about the job hopping.

Here's what they don't know--

in 2011 my buddy, at is all time low, started a job after his divorce at $8/hr.

He went from job to job for higher pay in each move.

fast forward to 2014, my buddy now earns $83k/year in a middle management position.

What he did was stay at a gig for 6 months to a year and than apply for the next level up position. It worked.

He said he wanted to get back to his pre-divorce years and earnings.

The friends and family, other than myself, don't know his earnings.

People really need to back off and stop judging people.
I totally agree. When it comes to people that are homeless, people seem to treat them like criminals. Not every homeless person is an alcoholic or drug addict. Some of them either just have crappy families or a non existent support system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 07:45 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Your buddy's parents ain't familiar with the labor market today. You almost have to switch companies to make any headway in responsibility and pay. They should butt out
That's not a new thing.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:46 PM

And where the hell were these family/friends when this guy was homeless?!

Could get judgy about that.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:26 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
And where the hell were these family/friends when this guy was homeless?!

Could get judgy about that.
As another poster mentioned, not everyone has a support system.

The homeless person may not have any next of kin or relatives, he may the best one off out of everybody (I've compared family members and friends, and in some groups, the worst off is doing far better then the best off in another group). Not everyone comes from large families, or have friends that can take in others. Some of my friends are married with children, so they wouldn't really be able to take any friends in for more than a temporary amount of time.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
As another poster mentioned, not everyone has a support system.

The homeless person may not have any next of kin or relatives, he may the best one off out of everybody (I've compared family members and friends, and in some groups, the worst off is doing far better then the best off in another group). Not everyone comes from large families, or have friends that can take in others. Some of my friends are married with children, so they wouldn't really be able to take any friends in for more than a temporary amount of time.
He has friends and family who judge him. That's the point of the post.
Surely one of those people has a couch or a corner of a room he could have slept in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships