Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:10 AM

50,799 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickjesus View Post
Being comfortable in your own skin is the goal. Thinking you're eccentric is a bit like thinking you're hip, you're probably not. Do you comb your hair with your own urine? Do you write recipes for cakes in the margins of history books you check out from the library? Or, do you tend to drive barefoot regardless of the season? Generally those that are navigating life by watching butterflies and following contrails for their mysticism don't think they're odd at all.
Wait, wait! I do drive barefoot regardless of season, what has that do with anything? Are you calling me weird, lol? I have sensory issues and I like being barefoot, and I feel the pedal better than when I'm wearing shoes. In the winter I start my car from the window first (thank you God, for remote car starters!) so it's toasty by the time I get in, if that makes any difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 08:13 AM

50,799 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
No, outside of the City Data Board, I don't say things to get people angry or try to push anyone's buttons.

Regardless, it is hard to be an eccentric in our country which encourages conformity. People like to say they welcome diversity but in reality most people want you to act like them and be like them. It's easier to make friends and get people to like and respect you if you are boring and normal.
It's be easier if you provided some examples of the things you are talking about (what you actually say to test/challenge people, for instance)

Old 07-29-2014, 08:55 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's be easier if you provided some examples of the things you are talking about (what you actually say to test/challenge people, for instance)
"The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" by Thurber explains it best.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:31 AM

921 posts, read 1,132,322 times
Don't be afraid of who you are or what you have become. As long as you're happy, live to its fullest.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:56 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
I think as we get older, we do tend to care less what others think of us. And, I agree with the OP in that in (certain) works situations, you do have to restrain your contrarian nature in order to be viewed as a "team player" or worthy of advancement. Or for your ideas to be given consideration. Some industries now, and thankfully ppl younger than us are showing that this is unnecessary, outdated, and stifles creativity. I think it's a good thing.

I think how one feels about this topic depends on what type of work life they've had, if it has been stifling or a free environment. I read the OP's post as coming from a restrictive environment and now feeling that freedom of not having to worry so much as you finally have options such as retirement. The fact that the OP posts questions like this, doesn't bother me at all. One can read them and participate, or ignore them. You can chose to let the post bother you or say, who cares, not interested, won't participate, and then go on with your life. he is fortunate to be semi-retired and able to have the luxury of doing this. I am posting today as I am off work and not feeling so great. If this were a work day, I would glance at it, not reply and move on.

Back to one of the OP's points, I have always been a contrarian. Sometimes I show it, other times I keep my gob shut as I know it's not worth engaging people about something that in the end, makes no difference in my or their lives. Or that it cannot affect the outcome of something at work. I have gotten much better at this since I turned 50 I have always liked quirky, spunky (not rude), contrarian, arty, smart, different individuals. Battery hen "workies" bore me.

So, if the OP wants to post stuff like this, I don't care to make judgments of them (him/her). I think they are coming from a good place, no harm meant. Perhaps because of their age, and maybe they are newish to this medium, they do not understand some might misinterpret them as a troll. I do not see troll behavior at all. I see someone wanting to engage in conversation.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:54 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,780 times
There were lots of fellow eccentrics in my job hunting support group who faced long term unemployment. Because we were weird we had to be twice as good to move ahead in corporate America. We weren't and are still unemployed. People are afraid of eccentrics unless they are in the performing arts and whose talent makes up for their weirdness.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:04 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times
I do not think like others.

I am very outspoken.
Others think in a straight line, but not me!
If that's weird too bad!

Old 07-29-2014, 07:25 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
<snip> I used to be more forthcoming, and being more honest about my eccentricities just brought me misunderstandings, condescension, and isolation.

It's not that I am not afraid of who I am, I just like to have some semblance of a normal social life and I don't want to be marginalized in my own community.
I understand this completely...and agree wholeheartedly! On the one hand I don't feel the need to be someone else in order to 'fit in', however, as most people who know this about themselves come to realize...it can lead to isolation. I don't want to be ostracized, isolated, and/or 'kept out of the loop' at work...that can be a very dangerous thing, in my opinion, with the possibility of no recovering from it should one be terminated.

Quote:
<snip> Because we were weird we had to be twice as good to move ahead in corporate America. We weren't and are still unemployed. People are afraid of eccentrics... <snip>
I don't know that people are fearful of others who are different...they just don't want to be bothered with the 'ripples' of difference and prefer instead more amiable people. In the decades which have passed we as a society have become more politically correct (and I think there is some merit to this) and for the sake of our children and families, perhaps, not wanting to mar their good image or potential in life.

But as I have said...what do I know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I do not think like others.

I am very outspoken.
Others think in a straight line, but not me!
If that's weird too bad!
Well, I for one applaud your individuality!

Last edited by Jaded; 08-01-2014 at 11:03 PM..

Old 07-30-2014, 03:01 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Quote:
Recently since I have gone into semi retirement I have become more weird and eccentric.

I just don't care to play by their rules anymore!

In the past I worked so hard to try to act mainstream and normal and be like most everyone else. I did not want to say the wrong thing and feared being outspoken or talkative thinking I would lose the respect of people by saying or doing something unusual.

Now I enjoy being kind of different and like to say things to people I meet that challenge them and see what they will say or do. A study in human nature. Not weird like mental case just a bit eccentric.

Would it bother you if people said you were weird or eccentric, or do you try hard to be normal?
Quote:
There were lots of fellow eccentrics in my job hunting support group who faced long term unemployment. Because we were weird we had to be twice as good to move ahead in corporate America. We weren't and are still unemployed. People are afraid of eccentrics unless they are in the performing arts and whose talent makes up for their weirdness.
Based on the information here, some non-mainstream behavior is being defended and there is a demand to accept it. This is no longer about fear of being different. It is about a lack of social skills and awareness.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:17 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
I love different types and eccentric people, they make the world a more interesting place.. when were young its easy to act daft and get away with it but as we age we keep it more under control unless weve been drinking.. even at our Commonwealth Games street acts Im in awe of all the people who can act up and make fun of themselves... love it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships