Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 07:20 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,706,286 times

Advertisements

When I was a youngish widow a met a great guy who was a bachelor. At the time I was 50 and he was 48. He had a good career, a nice home and was handsome with a wonderful personality. We dated for several months and then he took me home to meet his parents. They loved me and were so happy. He had told them he had found "the one" and I was in love with him. We talked about marriage and it was all going great. But little things began to corrode our connection. He didn't return phone calls for a couple of days when he got busy. We would make plans and then I would be all ready for the hike/movie/dinner, etc. and he'd say "let's do something else, I don't feel like it any more." He was a neat freak to the point that he kept everything in its original box. So, for example, if you used the toaster you had to completely sanitize it like you were going to return it to the store and put it back in its original box. Basically, my initial affection for his sense of humor and sweet & good character remained but my ability to sustain an interest in creating a life together waned. Even tho I tried to work on issues with him, his discomfort in changing and my frustration with his quirks made the relationship come to an end. We dated seriously for a year. Then we didn't speak for about a year. Then, we missed eachother and re-connected as friends and continued to get together for lunches and some outings (we both liked to fly personal aircraft). His parents and all his many, many friends always expressed confusion about "why???" it didn't work. But, some people just are quirky and finding the right match is like finding a needle in a haystack. It may take decades, it may never happen. Unfortunately my friend died of cancer a few years ago. I sat with the family at the funeral...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 07:28 AM

16,027 posts, read 7,066,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
You seem very concerned with his happiness.

So is he happy? I understand maybe he does want to get married, but is he happy anyway?

If so, leave him be. If not, let him know he can always come to you for advice.
He is actually depressed a lot and he is managing it wisely with medication. I realize depression can be chemical imbalance but it can also be situational. Happiness is transient, nobody is happy all the time. Having someone you care for and who cares for you, that you can share with, contributes to feeling of well being. I wish that for him.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:33 AM

16,027 posts, read 7,066,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
When I was a youngish widow a met a great guy who was a bachelor. At the time I was 50 and he was 48. He had a good career, a nice home and was handsome with a wonderful personality. We dated for several months and then he took me home to meet his parents. They loved me and were so happy. He had told them he had found "the one" and I was in love with him. We talked about marriage and it was all going great. But little things began to corrode our connection. He didn't return phone calls for a couple of days when he got busy. We would make plans and then I would be all ready for the hike/movie/dinner, etc. and he'd say "let's do something else, I don't feel like it any more." He was a neat freak to the point that he kept everything in its original box. So, for example, if you used the toaster you had to completely sanitize it like you were going to return it to the store and put it back in its original box. Basically, my initial affection for his sense of humor and sweet & good character remained but my ability to sustain an interest in creating a life together waned. Even tho I tried to work on issues with him, his discomfort in changing and my frustration with his quirks made the relationship come to an end. We dated seriously for a year. Then we didn't speak for about a year. Then, we missed eachother and re-connected as friends and continued to get together for lunches and some outings (we both liked to fly personal aircraft). His parents and all his many, many friends always expressed confusion about "why???" it didn't work. But, some people just are quirky and finding the right match is like finding a needle in a haystack. It may take decades, it may never happen. Unfortunately my friend died of cancer a few years ago. I sat with the family at the funeral...
Thank you for sharing that.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:35 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,661,765 times
The thing is - this is wholly out of your scope.

You do not know, and should not know, the intimate aspects of his personality (and of course sexuality) that drive compatibility.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:41 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,227,283 times
Don't be like my parents and force him to have a relationship due to age.

My parents have set an age limit for my marriage, and are basically planning my life. I hate it when they set time limits to learn about myself. As it is, dad said I mature too slowly .

Old 08-06-2014, 07:56 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,982,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I have a son in a similar situation. It makes me sad, because I do believe he would prefer to be in a relationship, but the few relationships he was in did not work out well.

It's only human nature for a mother to want their child to be happy - but happiness is a do it yourself project. Everyone must take steps to secure it for themselves, regardless of the good intentions of others.
I love the bolded sentiment, so very true.

We thought we'd be planning the wedding of our 2nd son this year, but he and his girlfriend of 3 years recently split. He'll find the right girl one day, but we were pretty sure she wasn't it.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:01 AM

18,414 posts, read 19,053,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
He is actually depressed a lot and he is managing it wisely with medication. I realize depression can be chemical imbalance but it can also be situational. Happiness is transient, nobody is happy all the time. Having someone you care for and who cares for you, that you can share with, contributes to feeling of well being. I wish that for him.

if he is depressed it could be the reason why he is not "finding" someone. depression is not a simple matter and some folks are depressed all their life.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:04 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,660,853 times
Let him be. He's an adult and will find his own path in life whether it involves marriage or if he remains single. You can't wish his problems away. Cut the cord and let him live his own life.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:07 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
How do you know he is not happy just the way things are? Just because YOU needed to be married to be happy does not mean he does.
That was pretty much my point.

The OP assumes he is not happy because he does not fit what apparently is her most acceptable picture of happiness, "marriage and a partner/companion."

Maybe her son is a happy serial dater.

IMHO, she writes like the mom of a 5-year-old, with WAY too much projection and concern for a mom of a 35-year-old. I imagine he tells her JUST enough to get her off his back.

He has to form his OWN version of happiness, and it may not look like hers.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:18 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,985,108 times
It's none of your business. He's a grown up now, and makes his own decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships