Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 07:24 AM

251 posts, read 641,421 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm a 27 year old married male. My parents were divorced when I was 1 year old. I've only seen photos of my father. Apparently it was a bad divorce that ended with my family hating him and him threatening to take me from public school in kindergarten.

I've never thought of him really, just alway left it alone. My wife has been curious since we got married and can't understand me not ever trying to find and talk to him. He's now a well known doctor I see.

I was wondering if I should contact him. My wife and I will soon be trying to have children and she wants to know his side medically. I am just worried about my family finding out and what they will think after me never knowing or asking about him. Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 07:35 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
What do you want to do? Put aside what your family thinks or wants. Put aside what your wife wants or thinks. If it was just you alone, would you contact him? That is your answer. It may sound selfish, but it is YOU that will have to deal with any potentially negative reactions from him or others.

As far as the medical issues go, there are other ways of gaining that information.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:39 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,885 times
Sure, why not? You're only getting one side of the story so why not let him explain his side. He may have been to blame, but people do change.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:41 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,960 times
It is completely up to you. If you would like to know about any hereditary medical conditions, but don't want to necessarily initiate a relationship, a brief and businesslike email would probably suffice. I think that both your wife and your family members should respect whatever your decision is regarding this matter. If you would like to get to know your father, that is a choice you have every right to follow up on. If not, you also have every right to take no action beyond trying to learn about your father's medical history.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:56 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
I had a close friend whose bio dad allowed her to be adopted at age 5 by her stepfather. But when she was an adult, she became curious. Her dad was a minister and she was conflicted about approaching him or just attending his church to see him. Finally she decided to drop him a note and let him decided if he wanted to meet. He responded and asked to meet her at Town East Mall in Mesquite. (She lived not too far from there, so I guess he thought that was the best public place). So he took her to lunch there at the mall and gave her a bracelet as a gift. They had a nice visit and hugged goodbye. She decided he could contact her again if he wanted to stay in touch; he must have decided the same. They never reconnected again but she was glad she did get to see him.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:04 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,773,006 times
I like the replies here already: and I am echoing what a few said: that decision is yours OP. I would be curious to meet my Dad if I had not and I have been estranged my father and barely know him. There really is no right or wrong answer, but were I in your situation, I would be interested in making contact.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:38 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aparker2005 View Post
Hi everyone. I'm a 27 year old married male. My parents were divorced when I was 1 year old. I've only seen photos of my father. Apparently it was a bad divorce that ended with my family hating him and him threatening to take me from public school in kindergarten.

I've never thought of him really, just alway left it alone. My wife has been curious since we got married and can't understand me not ever trying to find and talk to him. He's now a well known doctor I see.

I was wondering if I should contact him. My wife and I will soon be trying to have children and she wants to know his side medically. I am just worried about my family finding out and what they will think after me never knowing or asking about him. Thanks guys.

If you know his address, write him a letter. See how that goes.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:34 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
You've only got one side of the story. Divorce filings are public record, so you can always look it up.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:44 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,194 times
My Dad was killed when I was two. Yes if I could I would contact him. This in spite of rumors that he was not a perfect man.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:55 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
OMG, OP, please please please do not worry what your family will think. Unless there was extreme physical abuse involved, there is no reason not to look this man up. You do not owe your mother's side of the family ANY explanation.

I am the biological daughter of a sperm donor. While my situation is different, I can say that just finding out that there was another genetic contributor in my background beyond the parents who raised me was extremely helpful. I'd always felt a little out of place in my family, and learning about my bio dad in my 20s totally explained everything.

One truly minor issue of confusion for many was that I have a pretty buoyant badonkadonk, lol. On both sides of my family, I come from a long line of what I have jokingly referred to as "butt-less wonders." When I found out about donor dad, a lot became clear.

I think your wife is right that having that medical history knowledge could be very comforting or useful as you are starting a family. There's a ton of stuff I wish I knew about the man I call "the Dixie-cup Dad." You've got a chance to figure that out, and I would encourage you to do so if you are even a little bit curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships