Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 08:51 AM

933 posts, read 1,478,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, I see where you are coming from. But - the deal is you are supposed to donate $10 if you do the 'ice bucket challenge' and $100 if you do not.

So they are still raising money and have, in fact, raised quite a bit since July. I cannot remember the figure they gave on the news.
Maybe technically, but from what I've seen, most people think it's either do the ice bucket challenge, or you "have to" donate.

Look, like a previous poster said, while I appreciate the thought of the challenge, I would rather donate money for pancreatic cancer, which has a really high death rate as well, than ALS, and I would rather not have ice water dumped on me when I'm sick. I guess I'm just a stick in the mud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 09:11 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,415,904 times
What a great, silly idea.

If it increases awareness about a devastating disease, while being entertaining for some people.... it's a win-win.

I read at the Time website that they have already raised over 5.5 million dollars for ALS, compared with what they normally raise during that time period - $32,000.

I have seen people die from ALS. It is horrific stuff..... You slowly become paralyzed.... you lose the ability to swallow and eat.... and then you lose the ability to breath on your own. And for most people, your mind stays sharp and you know what's coming. It is just torture.

We don't like thinking about these terrible things. It is the American Way. So if starting a silly idea (that goes viral) leads people to learn the name "ALS" and "Lou Gerig's Disease" - then I think it's great. If it actually raises money that can help people and their families who are suffering, and maybe leads to more research that can improve treatment.... then it is truly a miracle.

Life is short folks. Things like this are strangely important, yet they will pass in a blink of an eye.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:42 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
This is hard to discuss without getting emotions raised in a few camps.

I'm just one who abhors public displays of...what can one call it...superficial support for a cause. The worst example I can think of is the 'hashtag campaigns.' The ice water challenge is IMHO not quite so groan-worthy. It makes me sad a little that charitable giving is tied up in making public displays. I'm no longer very religious, but I always clung to one bible passage about when giving, "the left hand shouldn't know what the right hand is doing."

OTOH, the apparent spike in donations to ALS causes is impressive and honorable. In my specific case seeing many bucket challenge videos prompted me to throw an extra donation to a charity I donate to regularly. I think in the broad sense, getting people to donate more to whatever cause is hard not to call a good thing, so if it takes something social and silly to do so, it's sort of hard to fault.

OTOH (I have more than two hands), the word 'awareness' has been used quite a bit around this campaign as well as those that preceded it like the pink ribbon thing, etc. IMHO, I think that word is vastly under-defined and over-used. At least with the current ALS campaign, awareness seems to be followed by action.

Then...there's the saturation/fatigue factor. Is there a color in the spectrum that isn't being used by a ribbon campaign that I'm supposed to feel shameful for not recognizing? I jest, I jest, but I do believe that people do eventually tune out of the static when there are too many things vying for our attention.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:00 AM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think the ice bucket dump challenge is pretty silly. I have seen many people on facebook doing it and I know of only one that donated $100. She posted a photo of the check made out to ALS.
Many people are having fun with this but I don't know if it has raised much awareness for the disease.
People all over social media, forums and TV are talking about it, isn't that increasing awareness?

Old 08-17-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I have been saying the same thing. Have millions really been raised because of this? Putting the ice water over your head means you don't pay, and if you do you have to pay a hundred bucks.

Do you think all the people that don't do it pay the hundred dollars? Do the people making the video know what ALS or Lou Gehrigs Disease is?

I highly doubt it. I don't think it is raising much awareness and I would doubt it is raising much money either.

To me, it feels more like a trend.
Per TIME magazine, the ALS foundation has collected 5.5 million in the period from July 29 to now (since the challenge began). In the same period last year, before the challenge, they raised $32,000.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:07 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,898,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post

I thought the same thing, it's a bandwagon to jump on now. I hear Bieber has been caught doing it with warm water.
and older men.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
Maybe technically, but from what I've seen, most people think it's either do the ice bucket challenge, or you "have to" donate.

Look, like a previous poster said, while I appreciate the thought of the challenge, I would rather donate money for pancreatic cancer, which has a really high death rate as well, than ALS, and I would rather not have ice water dumped on me when I'm sick. I guess I'm just a stick in the mud.
And have you? That's the point, people can claim they'd rather donate to this or that, but most people end up donating to nothing...this challenge has led people who would normally not be involved in raising money for a charity to now be involved. Unbelievable that some see that as a negative just because they are having fun and getting attention while doing it. Maybe making it fun and a social media event is a better way to raise money and reach younger donors in the 21st century.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:12 AM

933 posts, read 1,478,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
And have you? That's the point, people can claim they'd rather donate to this or that, but most people end up donating to nothing...this challenge has led people who would normally not be involved in raising money for a charity to now be involved. Unbelievable that some see that as a negative just because they are having fun and getting attention while doing it. Maybe making it fun and a social media event is a better way to raise money and reach younger donors in the 21st century.
Yes, I actually have, thank you very much.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:14 AM

421 posts, read 556,649 times
I was just told about the ice bucket challenge last night by my adult kids...since then I have seen it pop up a lot. I'm also perplexed. What does pouring ice water on your head have to do with ALS? I mean, kudos for making money. But...it just doesn't make any sense to me.

I like the points made...what's so challenging about dumping ice water on your head in summer...and if I am going to donate, I'm happy to skip the ice bucket.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:26 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,277,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
People all over social media, forums and TV are talking about it, isn't that increasing awareness?
But what awareness has it raised? Do they know anything more about the disease than before they dumped a bucket of water on themselves? We've heard and read the acronym hundreds of times in the past few days, but beyond that, what has been discussed about it? Many of these people participating still know very little about it. Just that it's cause du jour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships