Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 08:58 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Really? THIS is one of the big things annoying me about this whole campaign. If you're not all RAH RAH ALS ICE BUCKET CHALLENGE!! YAY!! then you're an evil person with no heart.
And this is what I stated in post $65:

"It doesn't bother me when people elect not to do the challenge or donate to ALS. It bothers me when people have an issue with something that is harmless and benefits and raises awareness of a serious and debilitating illness. Seriously, where is the harm in that? If it's not an organization that you support, then don't donate and that's fine but to denigrate others because they are participating is just sh*tty."

Quote:
You know nothing about me, what I've been through, what my loved ones have been through. You know nothing about the causes I have worked tirelessly for and raised tens of thousands of dollars for.
You're right. I don't know you. You're a stranger on the internet. And although we disagree on this issue, I've noticed (by postings in other threads) that we do agree on many other issues & situations.

It's not my intention to p*ss you off or be at odds with you, but the comment that your annoyance with this challenge is that it's permeated social media came across as insensitive when it has done nothing but good for ALS. A little annoyance and inconvenience for the greater good.

I don't have a connection to anyone with ALS, and as I said earlier, without this challenge going viral I would still be ignorant of the disease and would not have thought to make a donation to alsa.org. But it does my heart good to see so many people having fun with this challenge and ultimately doing a good and decent thing.

One friend made a mini-movie with his dog, "filling" up the bucket with ice and water and dumping it on his head. It was creative and fun and must have taken some serious time to edit and lots of doggie treats. Another friend was sitting in the lower level seats at Monday night's Redskins game, and completed the challenge by dumping the beer vendors icy water over top his head (he of course got clearance from the security guards and vendor before doing this).

The news is constantly filled with bad things happening in the world, and then I see these videos and they just make me smile and warms my heart to see people coming together for a good cause. I guess that's why I hold a strong opinion that this is ultimately a good thing.

Lastly, my apologies for offending you. As I said, that was not my intention.

Last edited by HokieFan; 08-20-2014 at 09:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 09:19 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
How many billions have we given to Cancer and Aids research and we still don't have a cure?
The money is in the treatment not the cure imo.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:44 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
One friend made a mini-movie with his dog, "filling" up the bucket with ice and water and dumping it on his head. It was creative and fun and must have taken some serious time to edit and lots of doggie treats. Another friend was sitting in the lower level seats at Monday night's Redskins game, and completed the challenge by dumping the beer vendors icy water over top his head (he of course got clearance from the security guards and vendor before doing this).
Good for them. I hope they had fun. Along with the 50 gazillion other people doing it. I don't need to see all of them. If there were a site dedicated to only these videos where everyone could post them and people could choose to go see them, that would be a win-win for everyone.

Imagine driving down the road, and every 50 feet or so, you have to dodge someone standing there with a bucket. That's what this is feeling like. I'm trying to go about my life, and I'm having to dodge countless videos of different people doing the exact same thing. I'm tired of it. If that makes me heartless, whatever. I don't care.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:45 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,059,001 times
I think the ALS Ice Bucket thing is great. I read somewhere that due to the raised awareness, they have raised over $2 million or something like that. I have been enjoying watching different celebrities dump water over their heads, and some are making creative spins (like Charlie Sheen dumpting a bucket of money over his head instead-the money he is donating).

Here's the thing. Raising awareness helps them generate more donations. Period. People doing a breast cancer walk aren't always necessarily donating money themselves, right?

I haven't been nominated (one of the many times I am happy to be 'invisible' to most lol) but I'm going to donate just because of the whole challenge and my appreciation for it. Before this, I would never have thought to donate to this cause. This is much more effective than the stupid facebook posts that say "Please like & share this post, if you don't, you don't care about cancer" etc. Those are stupid & serve no purpose.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:20 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
Let me start off by saying that I think that the Ice Bucket Challenge is, in theory, a good idea. I'm sure it has raised a lot of money, and it certainly has raised awareness for ALS. However, I have also noticed that some people are using it for their "15 minutes of fame". Without donating a cent to ALS, some people are posting these "crazy" videos before passing it off to their friends, or someone they think it would be "funny" to dump the ice water on. As I have seen these videos pop up on social media, it is becoming increasingly clear to me that a lot of people who are doing it couldn't give a rats ass about ALS, but just want to post that video so they can rake in the "likes" and show everyone how awesome they are. This was further enhanced when someone nominated me and I didn't do it, not wanting to fall into this game. When I told someone this, they were shocked and said that if I didn't do it 24 hours after I was nominated, I would "have to donate money". Oookay. I said I would rather donate money than get ice water dumped on me when I was pretty sick. Couldn't believe the guy just said that.

It got me thinking about all of the rest of things that people do on social media, just for attention. I have now realized that those long posts on birthdays with pictures on social media that 20 people post per day? Almost all for attention. If these people wanted to, they could personally wish each other happy birthday or send a private message. But instead, for everyone else to see (and "like" of course), they post these things on social media as a sort of publicity stunt.

I don't know if I'm being cynical here. What are y'alls thoughts?
I'm kind of with you. Yeah, I applaud anyone who gives to charity. But I also think charities are something you support without public fooferaw. You just quietly write the check, put it in an envelope, and mail the thing.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:22 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:

Imagine driving down the road, and every 50 feet or so, you have to dodge someone standing there with a bucket. That's what this is feeling like. I'm trying to go about my life, and I'm having to dodge countless videos of different people doing the exact same thing. I'm tired of it. If that makes me heartless, whatever. I don't care.
So not clicking a video on your facebook is tiring and like dodging people on the road ????

Old 08-20-2014, 02:50 PM

11,798 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'm kind of with you. Yeah, I applaud anyone who gives to charity. But I also think charities are something you support without public fooferaw. You just quietly write the check, put it in an envelope, and mail the thing.
A lot of people are not quietly writing cheques to donate to ALS so great that this is raising awareness of a really wretched disease that doesn't get much press. Many people had never heard of ALS until the past week or two, so I wouldn't call this crazy challenge a bad thing.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:21 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,099,146 times
Wow, some of you are crabby. To answer the reason behind why ice water is dumped on your head, when the ice hits your head, for two seconds it shuts your muscular system down and simulates what it is like to have ALS. Also, you are supposed to donate $10 if you do it, $100 if you don't but no one is forcing anyone to do anything. I know if I nominated my dad, he would probably just ignore it because he's a tightwad and hates to be cold. LOL.
I personally enjoy the videos, I took the time to learn about the disease, to learn about Peter Frates who wanted to bring awareness to this once he was diagnosed in hopes that he could do some good before he left this earth and I was nominated last night and will be doing it tonight.

Also, I must know some pretty great people because every video I've seen that my friends post they've mentioned that you should donate as well as do the challenge.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:29 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Wow, some of you are crabby. To answer the reason behind why ice water is dumped on your head, when the ice hits your head, for two seconds it shuts your muscular system down and simulates what it is like to have ALS. Also, you are supposed to donate $10 if you do it, $100 if you don't but no one is forcing anyone to do anything. I know if I nominated my dad, he would probably just ignore it because he's a tightwad and hates to be cold. LOL.
I personally enjoy the videos, I took the time to learn about the disease, to learn about Peter Frates who wanted to bring awareness to this once he was diagnosed in hopes that he could do some good before he left this earth and I was nominated last night and will be doing it tonight.

Also, I must know some pretty great people because every video I've seen that my friends post they've mentioned that you should donate as well as do the challenge.
Well, it's all fun and games until someone dies:

What You Need to Know Before Accepting an Ice Challenge | News - KEYT

Doc's ice challenge warning - National - NZ Herald News

Old 08-20-2014, 04:13 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,614 times
Quote:
How is this possible? Have you not turned on a TV or gotten on the internet for the past 2 weeks?
I don't watch TV, and I have not seen anything about it online other than this post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships