Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 09:26 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,896,464 times

Advertisements

Regarding the length of volunteering, I jumped in the teach a class another teacher dropped because she was moving. I didn't step on her toes. A situation happened not long ago where I asked to take over the public relations of an event and found out someone else I know has been doing it for years. I didn't try to take over, even though I probably have more pr experience. Instead I offered to help her anyway she needed such as deliver flyers to various stores. I gave her some ideas but I knew it wasn't up to me. If this teacher had done the same and came to me with ideas I'd listen. Instead she went over my head and told others her plans. She was acting like she was the teacher and I was the aide.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:27 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Yes I have my catechist certification. I am working on a teaching one to work in the Diocese or even public schools so that is part of it. The other part is it's something that gives me great job. I have put a lot into this, I planned the whole year this summer, including buying supplies. This woman has NEVER volunteered at the church ever. I've never seen her at any events. I'm at every event and involved in every event.

So what if she never volunteered at the church before?

Maybe she just moved to the area or switched churches.

At one point you had never volunteered at this church before, now you think you're Queen Bee.

You're an example of why so many people get turned off to volunteering in the first place, you get a few people who think they're running the show and are "cliquish", someone new comes along and you treat them like an outcast.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:32 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,193,180 times
Quote:
Regarding the length of volunteering, I jumped in the teach a class another teacher dropped because she was moving. I didn't step on her toes. A situation happened not long ago where I asked to take over the public relations of an event and found out someone else I know has been doing it for years. I didn't try to take over, even though I probably have more pr experience. Instead I offered to help her anyway she needed such as deliver flyers to various stores. I gave her some ideas but I knew it wasn't up to me. If this teacher had done the same and came to me with ideas I'd listen. Instead she went over my head and told others her plans. She was acting like she was the teacher and I was the aide.
In the OP, you said you were rude when she tried to share her ideas after she was asked by the Deacon to do so. Perhaps she was under the assumption that you wouldn't listen.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:55 PM

She wouldn't know because she never spoke to me. She assumed she was the teacher. The deacon asked me if we were going to do these and I said "guess so". She then started telling him everything and then she told me she was going to change the syllabus.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:07 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,193,180 times
Quote:
She wouldn't know because she never spoke to me. She assumed she was the teacher. The deacon asked me if we were going to do these and I said "guess so". She then started telling him everything and then she told me she was going to change the syllabus.
Honestly, it sounds like the director and deacon have led her to believe that she is at least an equal co-teacher with you. They asked for her input during a teacher's meeting that she was invited to attend, and asked if you agreed to some of the changes. They obviously like and want her ideas. I don't think you can hold it against her if that is what she has been told is her position.

I hope you can learn to work with her since you enjoy teaching so much. It really is about the kids in the end, and two teachers who work together to share the work and the fun will only benefit the children. As I said before, I taught by myself for a very long time, but I would take a co-teacher any day of the week!

Last edited by raindrop101; 09-02-2014 at 10:20 PM..

Old 09-02-2014, 11:19 PM

I'm going to see both tomorrow and ask them. No, I won't co teach, if anything I'll quit and quit all my volunteering at the church. We'll see what they say. It'll hurt but if that is the case they are lying and I can't handle lying. The other teacher who had this problem ended up quitting.

No, this woman apparently has been at the church for years and had the time to volunteer she just chose not to.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:57 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
FWIW, this kind of thing happened at my church.

My church is really big. I mean, we have 5,500 members on the rolls, and our sanctuary holds 2,000 people. I'm only including that because it may explain why we have a "cafe" in the basement youth area that serves coffee, other drinks and muffins and snacks.

Anyway, a very good friend of mine ran the cafe. All the $$ spent at the cafe went to missions at an inner-city neighborhood center we sponsor. It was a volunteer position, but she treated it like a job. She ordered all the food & drinks, stocked the supplies, and worked the counter on Wednesday nights, Sunday mornings and Sunday nights during choir and youth activities.

As a single mom, she really enjoyed the chance to spend time at the church while her high-school age daughter was there too.

One day the ministry team told her they were going to make some changes in how the cafe operated. They had restructured the church staff, and the cafe was going to be under a different staff member, who had other ideas for how it should operate.

My friend was outraged. She had been there since they built the cafe, and she was a one-woman show. She did NOT want to answer to this person, and she made that known. VERY publicly.

When she saw that they were going to proceed, she quit. Her daughter graduated, and she even stopped coming to church.

It turns out the other minister had good ideas, and the cafe is even more successful than ever. It brings in more $$ than before, and more people have the chance to "work" there.

This personal experience that I watched unravel is why I keep posting to this infuriating thread. I know how it's going to turn out. My friend's vengeful gesture of quitting did not hurt the church at all, it only hurt her (and those of us who enjoyed seeing her at church). It's like that Carrie Fisher quote: Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:41 AM

22,593 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
No, I won't co teach, if anything I'll quit and quit all my volunteering at the church.
Seriously?
Wow..... just wow.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:50 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Seriously?
Wow..... just wow.
That surprises you? Not me, at all. It's been clear from the beginning that it needs to be 100% her way or she's taking her marbles and going home.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:15 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,650,975 times
The OP needs to learn that she can not control other people, and that she can only to control herself (which remains to be seen). I'd suggest the OP read the "Serenity Prayer" before meeting with the new volunteer, on Wednesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships