Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2014, 09:40 PM

11,165 posts, read 7,997,265 times

Advertisements

OP, you stated that you are "investing "and "learning". If your money is making you more money perhaps you could show grandma that your job is taking your care of your money and using it to prosper more?
Just because you don't go into an office every day doesn't mean you're not working.
I wouldn't be too hard on the folks or granny as it's obvious that they care and have your best interest at heart.
It's just my opinion, but I think you'd fare much better learning how to work and grow your money rather than getting some 9-5 job that in the end would allow you to retire at 70 with a pension that doesn't quite cut it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 09:46 PM

11,165 posts, read 7,997,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I can't believe the number of people that suggest the OP "Move out" when it is very clearly stated that the person owns their own home and does not live with their family. What ever happened to reading comprehension?

Thank you!

Old 10-15-2014, 10:33 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,110,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post

So, since you've got money, I'd work low-paying but interesting work in interesting locales. The beauty of low-paying jobs is they usually do not include much stress.
I find low paying jobs are some of the most stressful. The more you get paid, the better you get treated.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:45 PM
TZ7

45 posts, read 69,362 times
Since you are out of college. Do you realize that the older you get, the harder it will become to make a living, especially if you don't work, especially when it comes time to having to work? If you wait too long, it would be harder to use that education that you have. So it's better to work. You don't know what the future will be? But, personally I think it could be a scary one.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:05 PM

39,321 posts, read 27,699,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allieoxenfree View Post
I love my family and want to visit more but I am tired of my grandma's negativity and opinions. I want a way to tell her to stop and to mind her own business but I don't want to disrespect her either. I am happy with my life and I wish she could see that but I don't know how. Is there any way I can do that? She's obsessed with people working.
I suppose the above is OP's main and only concern. I think if she wants another financial planner, she would find one herself.

She wants to figure out a way to deal with nagging (perhaps loving) grandmother, that is why she posted here

Old 10-15-2014, 11:38 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,554,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allieoxenfree View Post
My dad is upset I don't work but he's more passive aggressive about it. My mom is nicer about it and doesn't care too much but she still worries me and mentions me picking up a job here and there. My grandma (on my dad's side) has been awful to me about it. She's an opinionated, very in-your-face, blunt person and she thinks I'm lazy and constantly tells me that I need to be working and that I need to have a job.
It's not just grandma, it's dad and mom too. That's a lot of smoke, I'm inclined to think there might be at least a small fire.

Unless you've left out something, these are the people who presumably know you better and love you more than does anyone else in the world. Are any family members on your side?

I tried to imagine myself in your parents' place, and asked myself how I would feel if one or both of my adult children were living their lives exactly as you described. Any which way I turn it over in my mind, I can't help but think that working to support themselves has been a good thing for them.

Back to your question about how to deal with grandma: she's just being more outspoken than your parents. If you love and want to spend time with them while continuing your current lifestyle, you'll just have to grow a thicker skin. When one of them makes disparaging comments, just laugh or smile, give him/her a kiss, and say "Thanks for caring so much, I'm doing just fine."

Old 10-15-2014, 11:46 PM

483 posts, read 692,921 times
OP, my advice is to do something regular, boring, and responsible, until you discover/find a job you like. Having the experience and giving it up in full cognizance, is quite another matter from never having it. Plus, imagine the luxury of being able to look until you find a job you like! Endow a scholarship or something, and get to pick the recipient. These are just random suggestions I’m blurting out but OP, you don’t fully know, there are some scenarios in which you could lose your money, like… your financial advisor embezzling it (if it happened to Sting it could happen to anyone). Or another huge stock market crash, etc. You don’t know, none of us do, and the time to really work hard is when you’re young and have your health. Other than that, I'm certainly not morally offended by your decision to kick back.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:29 AM

947 posts, read 924,810 times
If you have enough money that you don't need to work, and you are not a financial burden on anybody else, than I don't see any reason why you need to work.

Think of it this way, you could be taking a job away from somebody that really needs one, or needs a better one. Tell your family that.

Would your family be satisfied if you took up some kind of volunteer work, or joined some kind of nonprofit organization? I would love to do that if I didn't need money. It would give you something to do, would allow you to be a part of something you feel is important, would show your family that you were contributing to society, and would look good on your resume if you ever did need a job in the future.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:10 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,417,502 times
enjoy yer money and appreciate how lucky you are that you have a roof over your head and being worry free when bills show up at the end of the month, all w/o never having had to work in your life to obtain it

just please, no future threads about being "bored" or talking about how the money is making you miserable

Old 10-16-2014, 03:16 AM

769 posts, read 720,763 times
I love my family and want to visit more but I am tired of my grandma's negativity and opinions. I want a way to tell her to stop and to mind her own business but I don't want to disrespect her either. I am happy with my life and I wish she could see that but I don't know how. Is there any way I can do that? She's obsessed with people working.[/quote]

Grandma must have encountered the grandfather who left you the inheritance throughout your parents marriage. My guess is that she has encountered times when your grandfather could give you things that she could not afford. And there were probably instances when your grandmother felt your father (her son) was made to feel less by something the grandfather did, such as pay for something the family couldn't afford but grandpa could.

In other words, Grandma is probably resentful of your grandfather's wealth & has been for a very long time. Now that he is gone, he is still giving you things she can't. Perhaps she thought she would have more influence over you or receive more attention from you once your wealthy Grandpa was no longer a factor.

You can't change your Grandma. But, you might include her in your life to some extent and let her get to know you better. Invite her to lunch, just the two of you. Or invite her to spend a weekend with you at your home & bake her an apple pie. If she has just been feeling left out, maybe this will soften her. If she is a bitter old woman who just wants something to complain about... well you tried to improve the relationship.

My best childhood memories are with my grandfather who spent a good amount of time with me & taught me so much. Good Luck to You! I hope your family relations improve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships