Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 06:58 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,110,268 times

Advertisements

He really should have donated that to charity. What you needed to inherit was a swift kick in the rear.

Working is a thing that turns you into an adult. Right now, you are a drain on society. You contribute nothing. Your largest activity is turning food into poop.

Quite frankly, I would disown any child that was so irresponsible. Doing things that you like is not the same as not being lazy, it is the definition of being lazy. It was a waste for you to even go to college since you are not putting the education to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 07:09 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,148,839 times
A 25 year old who might go her whole life not working? This could really end badly, everyone needs a purpose and I haven't seen any sign of that from the OP.

In many ways work is like exercize, it can keep you sharp, up-to-date, learning new things, getting out, meeting people, etc. Not working forever beginning at age 25 (before actually) sounds like a terribly risky decision to me. You could go pear-shaped real fast, far from your best self.

So, since you've got money, I'd work low-paying but interesting work in interesting locales. The beauty of low-paying jobs is they usually do not include much stress.

Ignore all the young, probably near-broke posters here who naively think your situation is awesome. The if-I-could-just-win-the-lottery-set, rarely have any wisdom or knowledge of what kind of life that would lead to.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:10 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,782,251 times
Definitely move out. If you are 25 and have enough to support yourself for a long, long time, show your family. They are probably thinking you are mooching off them to go and have 'fun'.

Get your own place, enjoy the world (very jealous). At the same time, look for volunteer work at least to give back. Something was given to you, return the favor and volunteer for an organization that means something to you.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:19 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,453,823 times
You don't need to take a job away from someone who actually needs it, but you absolutely need to do something besides indulge yourself and enjoy life. I'm another who thinks you should volunteer and make a contribution to the world. You've been blessed with not needing to work (I hope. I'd also make very sure this is, in fact, the case. Even people much older than you can underestimate how much money they need for the rest of their lives.) You have the ability to make a difference somewhere that needs more help than they can pay for. It will be good for the world, and yes, good for you. It *will* build your character. It will ensure that when your life is over, you won't look back and feel it wasn't as meaningful as it should have been. And it will give you practical skills so that, should some financial disaster befall you, you will be able to take care of yourself. These are all the things your family is worried about. I do not believe they are necessarily jealous. Had I been in your grandfather's shoes, I'd have made sure you had to wait longer for your money, for just these reasons.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:24 AM

8,106 posts, read 12,833,920 times
I can't believe the number of people that suggest the OP "Move out" when it is very clearly stated that the person owns their own home and does not live with their family. What ever happened to reading comprehension?

Old 10-15-2014, 07:36 AM

23 posts, read 27,972 times
Its probably a generation thing. Your grand parents are from an age where saving money and working hard was the cornerstone of their exsistence. From her perspective, one could assume your grandmother probably sees this as a slap in the face and looks at your lifestyle as ungreatful.

Perhaps if you considered investing some time in doing something you were passionate about. You enjoy cooking from the sounds of it perhaps you could start a small business selling pies or volunteering at an animal shelter, I dunno. Just spitballing some ideas.

Older generations always want to see their off spring to do better than them. I am not in any way saying your grand mother may be right but given their age, experience, and wisdom, it might not be a bad idea to take in consideration her guidence. Hopefully she's sharing more with you than "Get a stinkin' job you bum!".

Old 10-15-2014, 07:40 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,800,754 times
Do you think grandma is jealous?

Old 10-15-2014, 07:40 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,538,414 times
If you are happy with your life, I would simply tell your family in no uncertain terms that you are an adult and able to make your own decisions and that if they want to see you, they need to keep their opinions to theirself. You're old enough to live your life without having family shame you. Essentially, it's none of their business. Enjoy your life and don't allow them to bring you down.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:47 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,369,738 times
If you choose not to work, have you considered volunteering? Few people these days go through their whole lives not working

Old 10-15-2014, 07:55 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,756,971 times
Good god, if I didn't have to work I certainly wouldn't. Miserable companies, horrible bosses, bitchy coworkers...who needs that stress? As long as you can set yourself up to be financially independent then I would ignore your family, it isn't their life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships