Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 04:11 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I don't have a sister but I'm sure I would be grateful that I did not have the added stress and expense of being part of the wedding party.

How in the world do you "come down with a severe mental illness"? It isn't like Mental Illness is a virus that you catch one day.
Long story....Both of my sisters were supposed to get married around the same time. The one sister broke it off with the man she was gonna marry then started having issues with depression and schizophrenia. Around the time of my other sister's wedding, she had to go to a mental hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 04:17 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,211 times
Not having someone as a bridesmaid because of their looks is very shallow thing to do.

No doubt, but people self justify that type of shallowness all the time in the name of their agendas. I suspect the fact that you are not close is the reason that others (friends) were selected ahead of you.

If you were close then that might be worrisome but that is not the situation here.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:21 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
You yourself said you've hardly spoken to each other. Of course she would choose her friends over you.

Why are you upset about it, if you 2 dont even speak? Just move on. The day is about HER, not you.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
You yourself said you've hardly spoken to each other. Of course she would choose her friends over you.

Why are you upset about it, if you 2 dont even speak? Just move on. The day is about HER, not you.
Because I'm her sister. And yes, we do speak, just not much The friends she has as bridemaids, she doesn't have anything to do with anymore. Then she wants to have a closer relationship with me. Not happening

Old 11-02-2014, 04:39 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Because I'm her sister. And yes, we do speak, just not much The friends she has as bridemaids, she doesn't have anything to do with anymore. Then she wants to have a closer relationship with me. Not happening
I agree with you that she should have asked you. You are her sister and you have been a part of her life much longer then any friend. That said, don't hold a grudge. If she is opening the door to repair the relationship, let her in. See if you two can regain a real relationship with one another.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:42 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Long story....Both of my sisters were supposed to get married around the same time. The one sister broke it off with the man she was gonna marry then started having issues with depression and schizophrenia. Around the time of my other sister's wedding, she had to go to a mental hospital.

Okay, so she didn't "come down" with a severe mental illness she more than likely had signs of it already but hadn't been properly diagnosed and was not showing different behavior until after the break up of her engagement, that makes more sense.

Anyway, I wish you all healing and hope you get issues worked out between you.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:53 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
My sister and I have a healthy, close relationship. I would be hurt not to be asked.

However, you and your sister were barely speaking at the time of her wedding so I'm not sure you should be surprised you were not asked. Were you two close at one point and then something happened to cause you guys not talk with one another regularly?

Old 11-02-2014, 05:01 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I've been married a long time. Although I don't consider myself particularly close to my sisters, as they are younger, and much closer to each other, I'm still glad I asked them to be in my wedding party. As I looked at the pictures today, I realized I'm still in touch with both sisters, but only 2 out of 4 friends. My DH is only in touch with family members who were in his side of the party, none of his old friends.

It may not matter on the day of the wedding, but it may make a difference years later.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:06 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,512 times
I could see feeling hurt about her not asking you. I guess I would feel the same (until I realized how much money I was saving).

Why don't you invite your sister out to lunch and talk about it.

To be honest, if I got married again, I wouldn't have my sister or anyone in the family be in my wedding. I don't have much in common with them at all. I would only invite them because I had to.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Okay, so she didn't "come down" with a severe mental illness she more than likely had signs of it already but hadn't been properly diagnosed and was not showing different behavior until after the break up of her engagement, that makes more sense.
yes
Anyway, I wish you all healing and hope you get issues worked out between you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
My sister and I have a healthy, close relationship. I would be hurt not to be asked.

However, you and your sister were barely speaking at the time of her wedding so I'm not sure you should be surprised you were not asked. Were you two close at one point and then something happened to cause you guys not talk with one another regularly?
we never got along well growing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships