Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 08:14 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,939,660 times

Advertisements

I'm around the same age, but being that I'm a low wage worker I can't really afford to move out of my parents house. Difference is I'm on pretty good terms with my family. The "being thrown out at 18" notion is simply an american phenomena and I wouldn't worry about the other posters insulting you for it.

But if you are unhappy with your situation and really think it's toxic there is really nothing you can do about it except move out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 08:35 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,065,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Fear of the unknown. Always been difficult stepping out of my comfort zone.
You can do it! It's not so bad once you step out of your comfort zone. I will be frank, you will feel odd, but once you get past the fear you will think, "WOW, why didn't I do THAT before?"

Old 12-26-2014, 08:38 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,009,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I'm around the same age, but being that I'm a low wage worker I can't really afford to move out of my parents house. Difference is I'm on pretty good terms with my family. The "being thrown out at 18" notion is simply an american phenomena and I wouldn't worry about the other posters insulting you for it.

But if you are unhappy with your situation and really think it's toxic there is really nothing you can do about it except move out.
If it works for all involved, then more power to the family that can co-exist under the same roof. Nobody has insulted the OP because she can't afford to move out, she never said that. She's complaining about the same people who are giving her a place to live because she's afraid to live on her own. She either needs to take that step out, or understand that her parents are not obligated to change and her life will remain status quo.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:46 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,368,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Fear of the unknown. Always been difficult stepping out of my comfort zone.
Apparantly you do not actually have a "comfort zone" since you state you are unhappy at home as well.
So things are not as bad as you want everyone to believe living where you do or you would have already moved out.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,195,540 times
OP, you're an adult. Move into your own house and make your own rules.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you - but if you don't like the food, go get your own (I made that last part up but it works!).

Old 12-26-2014, 09:25 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,314,446 times
You lost me after "i'm in my 30's".... Pack up and go, maybe they want you out and that's why they treat you the way that they do. You have overstayed your welcome. Move out and maybe your relationship with them will improve but you will never know unless you try.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:29 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,789,466 times
In your thirties, you don't need to be on an internet message board complaining about living in a toxic environment because you're still living at home. You're in control of this toxic" environment. If it bothers you, move out. If you think your environment is toxic, then you don't have a comfort zone to worry about.

Start looking for an apartment. It's an adjustment, but you'll do fine. Moving out will change the relationship with your parents and your sister for the better as you'll be able to focus on your own life and not on what they're doing. Just start moving- you can do this, it will be OK..

Old 12-26-2014, 10:38 PM

6,405 posts, read 6,306,946 times
Grab the hobo stick and leave!

Old 12-27-2014, 03:26 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,932,689 times
A lot of women living alone encounter homicidal maniacs. Just a warning.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:44 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,513,514 times
Sometimes it helps to take a "halfway step" first. Look in your area for someone who is advertising for a roommate, and use your innate good sense to judge the person, but don't be too picky about the digs, as this is just a temporary step. Or if there is a college anywhere near you, it's guaranteed that there will be multi-student apartments with an available room coming up.

If you have a lot of stuff that won't fit in one room, just rent a storage unit temporarily to hold it. This will give you an idea what life will be like on your own.

It's time. Take the plunge. Find some young folks that you can move in with and discuss this with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships