Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 02:28 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,106,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I'm around the same age, but being that I'm a low wage worker I can't really afford to move out of my parents house. Difference is I'm on pretty good terms with my family. The "being thrown out at 18" notion is simply an american phenomena and I wouldn't worry about the other posters insulting you for it.

But if you are unhappy with your situation and really think it's toxic there is really nothing you can do about it except move out.
But the op lives in America (I assume), so what cultural tradition do you suggest responder should advocate? The funny thing is that after putting down others advice, you give the same exact advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 02:40 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The OP didn't mention her disability until the third page. We aren't mind readers here.

But even so, the 2nd part of your response is exactly right. I know a man born profoundly deaf. He has graduated college, and is well employed. So either the OP's parents didn't expect much of her, or she doesn't expect much of herself. But, there's still time to change her situation, and have some success if she has the courage to do so. It's time to stop blaming her parents for her unhappiness.
The OP did mislead us a bit by not disclosing her disability up front. None the less, I too know several individuals who live independent fully functional lives. Many in the Deaf community don't even consider
deafness (notice the capital "D" and small "d" to be a disability. Get connected to the deaf community in your area. Also, if you haven't already, contact your state Vocational Rehabilitation Office for assistance in job training and independent living. There is a whole big world out there and you're missing out on it. Don't define yourself by your deafness. You are so much more than that! You can do it.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:03 PM

50,390 posts, read 64,083,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
The OP did mislead us a bit by not disclosing her disability up front. None the less, I too know several individuals who live independent fully functional lives. Many in the Deaf community don't even consider
deafness (notice the capital "D" and small "d" to be a disability. Get connected to the deaf community in your area. Also, if you haven't already, contact your state Vocational Rehabilitation Office for assistance in job training and independent living. There is a whole big world out there and you're missing out on it. Don't define yourself by your deafness. You are so much more than that! You can do it.
If OP can't hear, why does her mother's complaining bother her?

Old 12-27-2014, 03:36 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,365,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

I do wonder if you even feel your parents sabotage your efforts to leave?
They never really encouraged me to move out. I'd always make excuses not wanting to live alone. My siblings found a SO to move in with at a relatively young age and eventually got married. Now that I've been paying rent, they never say anything about moving out
Quote:
The OP didn't mention her disability until the third page. We aren't mind readers here.
But even so, the 2nd part of your response is exactly right. I know a man born profoundly deaf. He has graduated college, and is well employed. So either the OP's parents didn't expect much of her, or she doesn't expect much of herself. But, there's still time to change her situation, and have some success if she has the courage to do so. It's time to stop blaming her parents for her unhappiness.
I'm not saying they're to blame. My dad has always been very passive and lacks ambition. Nothing wrong with it. Some people are the opposite. People say children tend to take after their fathers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If OP can't hear, why does her mother's complaining bother her?
Hearing aid. Deaf in 1 ear.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:44 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,742,613 times
I think you should put your own mental health first. If you no longer feel comfortable living at home, move out. Simple as that.

Do you have the financial means to move out or is it what is keeping you at home?

You're 30. It's time for your to spread your wings and take risks. You'll regret it forever if you don't.

I personally come from a very dysfunctional family and after I finished college I moved back for a little while because I was looking for a job. I couldn't stand being there. My parents behavior reminded me of all the reasons why I grew into an insecure trainwreck. I was a trainwreck. I had no clue but their dysfunctional environment left a strong mark on my personality.

You need you leave. They don't need to tell you to move out! You can make your own choices

Old 12-27-2014, 04:08 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,899,909 times
Quote:

people referenced her previous posts, where she has talked about being on SSDI and having a hearing disability.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:12 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,899,909 times
Quote:

Her parents might be making her unhappy...and getting out of the house might help with her overall happiness. Again, we don't know the extent of the family dynamics. My gut feel is she is the black sheep, she was overly protected and was not expected to do much, and now she is living the life they built for her. She is capable of choosing something different. But it will be relearning life...and doing that with a significant disability. Its not easy! Its huge and daunting. I think its brave just to think about it. Lets support her instead of tear her down!

OP, have you gotten involved in deaf culture much? It seems like there might be both friendships and support for you there.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:16 PM

813 posts, read 1,274,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Fear of the unknown. Always been difficult stepping out of my comfort zone.
But it doesn't seem like you have a comfort zone living there.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:30 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,466,627 times
Your problem is not being deaf, your problem is not being self sufficient.

I have friends that are deaf...both of them. Have jobs, a child, a home, and YES I need someone to effectively communicate with them ( I am not really good at sign language but know VERY little), but they need NO ONE to understand my communication with them....EXCELLENT lip readers both!

Look, if you are HAPPY at home, then quit your bitchin about being allowed to live there, but IF you are as unhappy as you post, do you think your being there is making them happy????

Works for some, not for others...but it is THEIR home and YOU are being allowed to stay there at THEIR expense. Either be grateful, or responsible.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:26 AM

6,399 posts, read 6,290,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
A lot of women living alone encounter homicidal maniacs. Just a warning.
??!!

For real? This is like something the OP's parents would say to get her to stay! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships