Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 09:41 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I don't understand why people keep saying the waitress was just asking if he wanted change.

What was the point of asking the OP if he wanted change?

How can this not also mean, "Are you planning on tipping me with this money?"

Which translates into asking for a tip.

Which is rude.

Which was the OP's point.

Time for my own poem...

Time to put this thread

to bed.

G'night.
Assuming she was getting a tip and asking for a tip are not the same. I don't get what the big thing is, 99.9% of people tip, and she knew she provided good service, so why would she not assume this and ask if OP wanted her to come back with the change? A tip is not some big grand gesture you may or may not decide to bestow on her if she's a good girl, it is the accepted way servers are paid in this country. She's not some child who asked if she was getting a present from daddy, she's a professional who assumes understandably she's going to be paid for her service...I find something very degrading about many people's attitude about servers here...I still think it's about angry powerless-feeling people trying to feel power over someone they consider below them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 09:43 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I don't understand why people keep saying the waitress was just asking if he wanted change.

What was the point of asking the OP if he wanted change?

How can this not also mean, "Are you planning on tipping me with this money?"
Exactly. Does the corner food mart or grocery store clerk ask if you want change? Does the department store cashier? Does the person at the fast food drive thru window?

Old 01-24-2015, 09:47 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Assuming she was getting a tip and asking for a tip are not the same. I don't get what the big thing is, 99.9% of people tip, and she knew she provided good service, so why would she not assume this and ask if OP wanted her to come back with the change? A tip is not some big grand gesture you may or may not decide to bestow on her if she's a good girl, it is the accepted way servers are paid in this country. She's not some child who asked if she was getting a present from daddy, she's a professional who assumes understandably she's going to be paid for her service...I find something very degrading about many people's attitude about servers here...I still think it's about angry powerless-feeling people trying to feel power over someone they consider below them.
Never assume anything.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Exactly. Does the corner food mart or grocery store clerk ask if you want change? Does the department store cashier? Does the person at the fast food drive thru window?
Tipping is not customary and normal way to pay employees in those businesses, it IS in food service.
Good grief, why are so many pretending it's not? There is nothing inherently evil in tipping nor in a good server expecting tips. Why this demand for humbleness and deference on the part of servers to beg your $2.75 that she already earned simply by doing her job?? Again IMO power trip and nothing more.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Never assume anything.
Yes, so she apparently made a mistake...and because OP had the power to punish her for it, he did. Not to mention the 2 or 3 others who helped serve him who were to share that tip who did nothing wrong. Great.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:03 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
We have choices... 'peace' or being RIGHT...or just
thinking the 'world' should do as 'they think they should' or their happiness goes out the window...
OMG this is my mother-in-law. Spends every day angry over someone who didn't do what they should have done.

"I'm upset today because my doctor was supposed to call and he hasn't."
"Did you call him back?"
"NO! HE is supposed to call ME so I'm not calling!"
(Wow, that'll really show him)

She's angry with the neighbor who didn't drop off the package when he should have, the nephew who didn't send a thank you card by (insert random time frame), the son who waited until the afternoon to call to say happy birthday when he should have called in the morning. It wouldn't surprise me if she went off half-cocked because the waitress should have brought the change without asking.

She's got a set of arbitrary rules that she communicates with no one but expects everyone to abide by. And because the world isn't filled with mind readers, she is now a lonely, miserable person, estranged from most of her family and having few friends. That's what all those "should haves" accomplished for her. She'll die angry and lonely. But at least she'll die being "right"!

Honestly, after being reminded of this, I think the OP deserves more pity than scorn.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:14 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
Yes....that's another one that gets me. They bring ones assuming you are going to need them for a tip. That's another turn off.
That right there tells me a lot. Why on earth would that bother you at all?
I appreciate when they bring back ones because it means I can give whatever amount I feel is appropriate for a tip without having to go to the trouble of going to the cashier myself to break a larger bill. If I give a twenty for a thirteen dollar meal I want back seven singles so that I can tip at least three dollars.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:23 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Quote:
Yes....that's another one that gets me. They bring ones assuming you are going to need them for a tip. That's another turn off.
And is she supposed to put it to the left side of your chair or the right side of your chair? And is eye contact okay, or is that her attempt at "eyeing you into a tip". And should she just say "thank you" or will she blow it by adding, "Enjoy the rest of your day"? Honestly, if one tries hard enough, they can pretty much come up with a problem that excuses them from ever giving anyone a tip.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:39 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
It is simply rudeness. It has nothing to do with efficiency. It is trying to coerce the person into leaving the entire amount as a tip. What other bad manners do you support?
You are really looking for the worst in others.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
OMG this is my mother-in-law. Spends every day angry over someone who didn't do what they should have done.

"I'm upset today because my doctor was supposed to call and he hasn't."
"Did you call him back?"
"NO! HE is supposed to call ME so I'm not calling!"
(Wow, that'll really show him)

She's angry with the neighbor who didn't drop off the package when he should have, the nephew who didn't send a thank you card by (insert random time frame), the son who waited until the afternoon to call to say happy birthday when he should have called in the morning. It wouldn't surprise me if she went off half-cocked because the waitress should have brought the change without asking.

She's got a set of arbitrary rules that she communicates with no one but expects everyone to abide by. And because the world isn't filled with mind readers, she is now a lonely, miserable person, estranged from most of her family and having few friends. That's what all those "should haves" accomplished for her. She'll die angry and lonely. But at least she'll die being "right"!

Honestly, after being reminded of this, I think the OP deserves more pity than scorn.
Can't rep you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships