Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 03:19 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times

Advertisements

When I was younger, nod and listen endlessly. Then, a bit older I would relocate myself out of the way, politely. Hehe. Now, it's "I have an appt. to keep," "I hear my dog ripping up the paper," "The timer went off and the cake is done." Anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 04:13 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,167,237 times
People who talk too much have always amazed me. It's hard to deal with them without being rude, but sometimes that's the only way to escape. What I find incredible is, audience could be looking away, yawning, even falling asleep and the blabbing doesn't stop.

In person, I've tried exclaiming "OMG is that the time? GOTTA GO" On the phone "OH NO, I JUST SPILLED COFFEE EVERYWHERE, GOTTA GO"

I've tried to interject with a sentence where I don't take a breath, that starts with "oh my how interesting" and ends with "See you another time! Bye for now, so lovely chatting."

Old 02-12-2015, 04:39 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,910,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I have an older friend that's like that. We will easily be on the phone for two hours with her doing most of the talking. She's pretty sick now and probably won't be around much longer. I have infinite patience for her because some day soon I'm going to miss all those words.
That describes my mom to a T. Trying to get a word in edgewise was a real challenge! If I did she'd listen and then say, "Oh, well anyway...." and continue on from where she was. lol She's been gone two months now and, yes, I "miss all those words".

Old 02-13-2015, 08:13 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
I just dealt with a lady at GAP the other day who just wouldnt stop talking and had no idea how to deal with her
Friend, coworker, supervisor, or customer?

If friend - "Dude, you're killin' me with the chatbox."
coworker - "I have to speak to [insert supervisor's name] about my schedule."
supervisor - "I'm going to go help that customer."
customer - "It was great chatting with you - I have to restock these condoms..."

[]

Old 02-14-2015, 01:46 AM

897 posts, read 1,180,815 times
I know how to shut people up pretty good, but if it's a customer or someone who I can't, I just pretend to listen until they realize I'm not interested. Then the convo ends.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:15 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,825,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
If you're on the phone with someone like that, when you get a chance to talk, hang up on yourself in the middle of your sentence. Either leave the phone off-hook or just don't answer if they try to call back. Next time you see them and they ask about it, claim that it was a phone malfunction of some sort.
Everyone I know, knows I hate talking on the phone, and for me to answer is almost like hitting the lottery. I don't own a cell phone to talk on.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:14 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,711,046 times
This is so true!
The woman I referred to - when she is talking, I'll squirm, I'll look out the window, around the room - everywhere but at here- but she doesn't get it.

I think these people are insensitive to how the other person feels.

I'm probably too sensitive to how the other person feels.
If I get a sense that I'm boring someone, I'll wrap it up quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
People who talk too much have always amazed me. It's hard to deal with them without being rude, but sometimes that's the only way to escape. What I find incredible is, audience could be looking away, yawning, even falling asleep and the blabbing doesn't stop.

In person, I've tried exclaiming "OMG is that the time? GOTTA GO" On the phone "OH NO, I JUST SPILLED COFFEE EVERYWHERE, GOTTA GO"

I've tried to interject with a sentence where I don't take a breath, that starts with "oh my how interesting" and ends with "See you another time! Bye for now, so lovely chatting."

Old 02-14-2015, 12:27 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
I'm curious as to why the motor-mouth "illness" is so common in our society. Sometimes it's a response to personal loss/trauma, as when someone has lost a loved one, and the coping mechanism is compulsive talking. But that's only a small minority of cases. Can anyone shed some light on why this is relatively commonplace? Are we really a nation of narcissists, or are there other causes?

Old 02-14-2015, 06:19 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,775,270 times
I know this one girl that goes into such detail about everything and it takes her forever to finish a topic. It's so hard for me not to yawn.

For instance if she just got done painting a room she'll take at least 10 minutes just to describe the exact blue color she used. The blue is in between a aqua and dark kind of the color of such and such but lighter with a hint of beige, etc etc. Why the heck can't she just say 'blue' and get on with it. I don't need that much detail.

I avoid this person as much as possible.

If you bring the subject onto yourself, she'll quickly turn it back around to being about her.

I'm with the person that says if you figure it out please let us know the trick.

I'm really surprised no one has created an app for this...some way we can think it and make the phone ring by itself to get us out of such messes.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:51 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,519 times
I have 2 friends who do this to me over the phone...and since I have moved 500 miles away, they call a few times a week. ....one is worse than the other..she calls me when she is driving and WILL NOT SHUT UP...even after she parks and goes in and squeezing the cantaloupe at Kroger..she's going on and on about nothing of consequence..usually herself.....the other one never takes a breath and she talks so loud my husband hears it all. ..the other day he was laughing in the back ground and was floored at how she never came up for a breath....once one called a half hour before the other one and I ignored it.... did not have the strength to listen for another 20 mins straight...other than hanging up.. I can not even get in and say. .gotta go...I am ashamed to day we got cut off one day mid sentrnce and I turned my phone off..I had enough....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships