Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 07:07 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,191,100 times

Advertisements

We had an old family joke about my mother. "no one would recognize in her casket because her mouth would be shut." She was a real PITA. If there really is a heaven or hell, I hope I go where she isn't. I don't think I could stand her mouth throughout all Eternity.

People like her seem to be out of touch with how important they really are. They don't listen to any kind of hint about it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 03:44 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,711,475 times
don't you have caller ID?

I don't know why anyone would put up with this abusive behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
I have 2 friends who do this to me over the phone...and since I have moved 500 miles away, they call a few times a week. ....one is worse than the other..she calls me when she is driving and WILL NOT SHUT UP...even after she parks and goes in and squeezing the cantaloupe at Kroger..she's going on and on about nothing of consequence..usually herself.....the other one never takes a breath and she talks so loud my husband hears it all. ..the other day he was laughing in the back ground and was floored at how she never came up for a breath....once one called a half hour before the other one and I ignored it.... did not have the strength to listen for another 20 mins straight...other than hanging up.. I can not even get in and say. .gotta go...I am ashamed to day we got cut off one day mid sentrnce and I turned my phone off..I had enough....

Old 02-15-2015, 03:51 AM

Hi, I wonder about this too.

I think we are (mostly) a nation of narcissists, but - why?

I find it weird that as we get more and more instruments of "communication" - phones, ipads, etc., now I think there's a watch that's a phone -

we communicate less and less.

Communication is about silence and listening, as well as about talking.

One of my favorite people to talk to- she'll say something and I'll respond - and then there may be a moment of silence while we both think about what the other said, or about how we want to respond or IF we want to respond.
It is so nice.
Unlike most conversations, where if I pause to take a breath, the other person is gonna take the opportunity to start up.
Or where the other person never pauses, never, so that if I want to talk, I have to interrupt.
I hate to interrupt. I think it is rude. But with these people I would never say a word, if I wait for them to finish.
And they don't mind being interrupted, they are used to it--
but... is this communication?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm curious as to why the motor-mouth "illness" is so common in our society. Sometimes it's a response to personal loss/trauma, as when someone has lost a loved one, and the coping mechanism is compulsive talking. But that's only a small minority of cases. Can anyone shed some light on why this is relatively commonplace? Are we really a nation of narcissists, or are there other causes?

Old 02-15-2015, 03:54 AM

I also find these overly-detailed people annoying.

Also when people have to tell me the plot of a movie or tv show they've seen.

EVERY detail of the plot...

makes me want to scream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I know this one girl that goes into such detail about everything and it takes her forever to finish a topic. It's so hard for me not to yawn.

For instance if she just got done painting a room she'll take at least 10 minutes just to describe the exact blue color she used. The blue is in between a aqua and dark kind of the color of such and such but lighter with a hint of beige, etc etc. Why the heck can't she just say 'blue' and get on with it. I don't need that much detail.

I avoid this person as much as possible.

If you bring the subject onto yourself, she'll quickly turn it back around to being about her.

I'm with the person that says if you figure it out please let us know the trick.

I'm really surprised no one has created an app for this...some way we can think it and make the phone ring by itself to get us out of such messes.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:49 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
don't you have caller ID?

I don't know why anyone would put up with this abusive behavior.
Yes I do...and I have used it believe me..we just got back from a trip with a whole group of people including her ( our husbands were friends first) so the one girl was mostly calling a lot bouncing things off me talking about the trip....ON the vacation in person she barely talked....she was totally different....she has nothing to focus on now... The trip is over.....she won't call...

The other girl gets the dropped call scenario......sorry phone issues...ttyl!!!!

Old 02-15-2015, 04:54 AM

Quote:

makes me want to scream!
Ha....Yes or every ingredient that goes into their stew...

Old 02-15-2015, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Hi, I wonder about this too.

I think we are (mostly) a nation of narcissists, but - why?

I find it weird that as we get more and more instruments of "communication" - phones, ipads, etc., now I think there's a watch that's a phone -

we communicate less and less.

Communication is about silence and listening, as well as about talking.

One of my favorite people to talk to- she'll say something and I'll respond - and then there may be a moment of silence while we both think about what the other said, or about how we want to respond or IF we want to respond.
It is so nice.
Unlike most conversations, where if I pause to take a breath, the other person is gonna take the opportunity to start up.
Or where the other person never pauses, never, so that if I want to talk, I have to interrupt.
I hate to interrupt. I think it is rude. But with these people I would never say a word, if I wait for them to finish.
And they don't mind being interrupted, they are used to it--
but... is this communication?
Not really....but these people can't see what they are doing...At least I can recognize when I am monopolizing the convo and take a step back.... these people never do....

Old 02-15-2015, 05:06 AM

john candy funny telephone conversation youtube uncle buck - Bing Videos

This is hilarious!!!!!

Old 02-15-2015, 07:42 AM

677 posts, read 673,316 times
Quote:

makes me want to scream!
How about the people who want to give you every detail of their dream? I do not care about other's dreams.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:24 AM

I have one or two friends that we like to share our dreams with each other.

but - to an acquaintance? No, I would not divulge details of a dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
How about the people who want to give you every detail of their dream? I do not care about other's dreams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships