Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you still be friends?
yes 8 4.37%
no 158 86.34%
depends on the circumstances 11 6.01%
With a set of boundaries lthat is respected 6 3.28%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 10:17 AM

3,313 posts, read 3,056,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I know I hurt her, Im not denying that.

She must be one of those people that think "blood is thicker than water". It just bugs me that her sister got involved with him as well and they seem to get along when I see them
Mostly people don't just "think" blood is thicker than water, it just is, independent of conscious thought or deciding to feel that way.

You are seeing her relationship with her sister from the outside, not from the inside. They may not be as close as they once were because of what happened, but they may still want to get past it or continue to interact because they are family. A friend is expendable, a sister not so much.

Because we choose our friends, they are often called to a higher degree of loyalty and conduct than family members. You blew it, you can't get it back. Time to accept that this friendship is over, and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 10:19 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,668,470 times
Quote:
Some time ago, I got heavily involved with a childhood friend of mine and her relationship that ended in me cheating with her ex-fiancee. Fast foward 4 years later, I still wish I could take it all back. I admitted my wrongdoings and deeply regret doing what I did.

She only talks to me briefly if we happen to run into each other. Rarely, she will answer my texts.
I don't talk on phone.

I mailed her a Valentine's Day card last week.... Not even a response.

She has blocked blocked me on FB. Although shes "friends" with members of my own family which stings and hurts.

The whole irony of this is he had also cheated on her with her sister. And her and the sister are still friends talking to each other
I think she has made her wishes clear. You have apologized, there is nothing more you can do. Accept her decision.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:20 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,377,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Mostly people don't just "think" blood is thicker than water, it just is, independent of conscious thought or deciding to feel that way.

You are seeing her relationship with her sister from the outside, not from the inside. They may not be as close as they once were because of what happened, but they may still want to get past it or continue to interact because they are family. A friend is expendable, a sister not so much.

Because we choose our friends, they are often called to a higher degree of loyalty and conduct than family members. You blew it, you can't get it back. Time to accept that this friendship is over, and move on.
You have good points there.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:22 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,890,288 times
She blocked you, doesn't answer your text, and you screwed up. She is making it perfectly clear how she feels.

Dude, she is not interested. Not now, not ever.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:23 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,377,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I think she has made her wishes clear. You have apologized, there is nothing more you can do. Accept her decision.
I cant. Although she does speak to me if we see each other in public somewhere. Small town where I live

SD4020, I'm a Dudette, not a Dude

Old 02-16-2015, 10:23 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,213,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post

That's what I was thinking.

Her sister is obviously family. You can't chose your family. And if she dumped her sister, it would probably cause rift with the parents and other family members. So, the relationship may be forever strained, but as family they have to find a way to make things work, lest they split the family in some ways.

A friend is someone you can chose makes them a bit more special because you opened up and allowed them into your life with trust, and they took advantage and blew it. And because she doesn't have blood ties to you, you messing up made you disposable.

You have apologized, and she doesn't forgive you, and after 4 years, it's possible she never will. So you'll have to move on and forget her. And if it's that horrid for you, save money and move out of that small town.

Last edited by HappyRain; 02-16-2015 at 11:11 AM..

Old 02-16-2015, 10:26 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,668,470 times
Quote:
I cant. Although she does speak to me if we see each other in public somewhere. Small town where I live

SD4020, I'm a Dudette, not a Dude
What choice do you have? You are not going to win her over by sending her unwanted V-Day cards. Let it be. Perhaps in time she will feel differently.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:29 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,478,683 times
Quote:

Yes, you can, and you should. Leave her alone. If I were her, I'd blow right by you without a glance or a word. Small-town or not.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:32 AM

8,924 posts, read 7,753,896 times
I would forgive the person but I wouldn't want to be friends with them anymore.

The trust is broken and I wouldn't be able to forget that. It would be a slap in the face every time I see them. Especially if they sent me a valentine.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:37 AM

16,959 posts, read 17,405,679 times
A true friend wouldn't do such a thing, so theres nothing to forgive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships