Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 07:45 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times

Advertisements

Someone who continually makes bad decisions is a loser, IMO. We all know people who screw up time after time, and they don't learn from their lessons............those people are destined to fail and lose.

For example, I know a lady who continues to hook up with men who are abusers, out of work, and who will never change or improve their lot in life. She is going to be a loser the rest of her life too.

We all make mistakes, but if we keep repeating them, that is what separates winners from losers.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 08:04 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
That's easy. Someone who squanders his or her life. Life is a freaking banquet, yet there are people out there who choose to starve to death.

Mind you, this has nothing to do with how much you earn or what's written on your business card. It has everything to do with how you approach the gift that is your life. I mean, one of my best friends in the world lives on the river in a small cabin that he built himself, doing odd jobs. But the guy plays music, reads voraciously, never met a stranger, and is always quick to help out a friend and neighbor. He simply chooses to spend his time and energy living life rather than electing to spend it as a bill-paying machine. In another six years, after my youngest graduates college, my wife and I are going to try that life living on a sailboat.

On the other hand, I had a friend from high school who had every advantage. Great parents, great education, you name it. Got to college, smoked a lot of dope, and dropped out. The guy was so impressed with his own intelligence that he couldn't work for anyone else. So he was getting fired every three months and it was always someone else's fault. At age fifty-five, he's living in his elderly mother's basement playing video games talking crap about how the world screwed him over.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:07 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
I'm just curious if it varies for most people or if there's a generally accepted type of person that could be defined that way.
I judge behavior & conduct, not people.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:09 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
I'm just curious if it varies for most people or if there's a
generally accepted type of person that could be defined that way.
Pessimistic, glass half empty, door mat type people....those that believe what
some adult programmed into them as children...those that continue ad nauseum with their
problems ...re-programming their subconsc mind more...instead of
doing something about their sadness, hopelessness, lack of self confident and
general view that life has dealt them a bad hand...
they lose out on so much.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:10 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
My definition of a loser is someone who complains about their situation, and could improve it, but are too lazy to.
That sums it up for me!

Old 02-26-2015, 08:13 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Lazy. liars, abusive to chldren.. ones who dont care about others, selfish self absorbed cretins.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:18 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Well this is a loaded question, honestly....

I have always had the outlook that it doesn't matter where you come from or what your backround is--
As long as you aim higher & shoot for the stars.

So the people I've always surrounded myself with are winners.
They've had extraordinary success, done amazing things w/ their lives & made their marks in life.

Conversely-- the people I'd never, ever associate with....
the ones I consider to be "losers"
are people who are lifelong drug addicts, gang bangers, tramps, cheaters, sleazy, no morals, etc.

You become like the people you hang out with.

Also the people who haven't achieved anything noteworthy in their lives;
the people who are just here to waste time & take up oxygen.
They're not necessarily "losers" but I don't associate w/ people who think life is just about killing time.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:19 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I think losers, when you really consider it, all boil down to one or more of the following three traits:

> Self-absorbed
> Negative
> Lazy

I mean, does anyone's definition of loser not ultimately point back to one of these?

Interesting question, OP!
This pretty much sums it up for me. I think a lot of behaviors people associate with being a loser come down to being self absorbed and/or lazy in particular. Negativity makes for a different type of loser, in my experience (often someone who must cut others down to feel good about them self).

Old 02-26-2015, 08:59 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,246,575 times
Quote:
I'm just curious if it varies for most people or if there's a generally accepted type of person that could be defined that way.
People who ask dumb questions on internet forums usually.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:01 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
For me it's some of the guys I grew up with back in my rural PA hometown. Guys that never went to college, never traveled, work minimum wage jobs or don't work at all. I know a guy who has worked for minimum wage at the local 7 eleven for nearly 25 years, absolutely miserable person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships