Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 04:50 AM

908 posts, read 1,662,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
As I have pointed out to you before, it all depends on the job. Women return to the job market all the time, and manage to find work. A lot of them are in their 40s and overweight, but they still manage. Some of them have a felony conviction on their record, but they still manage. It is not productive to just dismiss someone as useless.
Well wouldn't it be nice if people all hired 40 something 300 pounders with no particularly valuable work skills/education??? I think the point is -what is realistic- and in this case, people have said on this thread, that they are NOT being hired, for whatever reasons or risks perceived by personnel offices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Where do you live where only thin people have jobs?

My bs meter is going off. You keep adding relevant details piece by piece.

I'll play along.

The gift card is a bad idea. At this point you will have to legally evict her. Seems pretty obvious to me.

Have you checked out the tenant laws in your state?
Even though it's obvious this woman is helpless , vulnerable,at wit's end, and without resources, and can't figure out what to do for herself, you are still advocating that her BROTHER dump her out in the street. Really? and not even a $1000 card to help her survive for the next month ? Well what if he can afford it?

wow. I just can't believe some people's heartlessness. all these people are thinking about is "tenant laws" "eviction" etc. wow. no wonder this country has a million homeless, in the land of plenty, where cold hearts rule and people treat family worse than dogs.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Boy oh boy....this has changed for me... from a freeloader, jumping from free house to free house/ user I first thought she was
to a pitiful person in need of some real help!

As in, "Sis, we have a problem here...would you consider us finding some help
for you... to get you outta your depression and eating problem,(that no one has mentioned to you)?"

Some counseling could deal with the real issues...who knows the traumas
that lay inside her, poor thing!

Please ignore my earlier post thinking she was just some 'user'!!!
Mea culpa.
I suspected she needed some help, and the next thing the brother should do, unless he is a worthless coldhearted jerk, (or the woman herself, or the brothers' wife could do this) is to get on the phone and call social services, for disabled/elderly. NOT usually the same office for family/kids services.
They can give info about what is available for her. BUT what she really needs FIRST is a good counseling clinic, some are free for the poor, and this is important because their diagnostics are what can help people get any sort of assistance from the state. SHE NEEDS ADVOCACY.

Last edited by 2bpurrfect; 06-01-2015 at 05:30 AM..

Old 06-01-2015, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
Let her come live with YOU!!
JUST A REMINDER, this is HIS SISTER! and she does NOT know how to survive obviously. She could die on the streets as thousands of homeless Americans do, whose families are hateful, destructive, cold and negligent, and couldn't care less whether it's right or wrong.
SHAME! SHAME ! SHAME!

I'm sorry but, this brother's wife and (other family members) seem also like part of the problem here- what's wrong with her, she has to throw her sister in law out into the street? really??????????? what comes around goes around, ya know........ this is all bad news and bad karma, it's gonna be a you know what. (beotch)

Last edited by 2bpurrfect; 06-01-2015 at 05:32 AM..

Old 06-01-2015, 05:14 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Yes, that's the word-- she needs Advocacy...social services.

It seems from the information we are getting, anyway...which is a whole
new world for her brother and most people.

My sincere best wishes to all involved.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Mental hospitals are full of homeless using them as shelter because they refuse to go to an actual shelter. This helps no one.
oh like they just admit homeless people into mental hospitals who have NO mental problems... right. NOT.
If she has ANY sort of depression symptoms--- the crying, and helplessness, lack of initiative, no energy, sleeping long hours, are all signs of depression. She may have depression/anxiety or other issues.

Overweight people are high risk for diabetes too. She needs a full diagnosis both mental and physical. Then go from there, the social services are definitely what she needs under the circumstances. People, stop trying to stuff this woman into your own shoes or your own perfectly functional sister's shoes, because she will NOT fit. One size does NOT fit all.

you can't throw family out into the street when they can't really function well enough to support themselves! that is cruel and inhumane, and people DIE from it by the thousands every year right here in the usa. Her health would REALLY spiral downward if she became unhoused.

She needs social services asap!
PS THE SHELTERS ARE ALWAYS FULL ALREADY! THERE ARE WAITLISTS TO GET IN! so she needs to apply for every benefit available. Hopefully get some, and do not give up on it if it takes multiple tries.

Last edited by 2bpurrfect; 06-01-2015 at 06:33 AM..

Old 06-01-2015, 08:06 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
She doesn't leave the house at all? I would suggest to limit food resources.

That will make her slim down if she wants it or not.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:43 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,233,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Would I hire an obese person that has not had a job in awhile to house
sit my pets or house clean?
Heck yeah....

Do I stow away my credit card receipts even from my neighbor when
she feeds my animals for a week...heck yeah.

Obese, male or female, age, have nothing to do with them house sitting, etc.
It's the feel for the person and who referred them.
I agree with this to an extent. I have an obese friend that I know would have a hard time looking after my toy dog as even just putting on her shoes is a big challenge. I'm not sure she would do well putting bowls up and down, changing water and all the lifting my dog needs, it's a fair amount of work if you're not fit.

One day she shared with me that she washed her bathroom floor the day before and it did her in for the whole day - that's something I'd do while chatting on the phone.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:03 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,475,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
UPDATE:

Every time my sister leaves her room my wife or I ask her when she is leaving. She looks away and starts crying and rushes back to her room. I suspect we are not going to get her to leave unless someone gets physical with her. She has not left the house for the entire time she has been with us so we can't move her things out physically. I talked to all family members and not one of them has agreed to put her up again or give any money for her to be bribed to leave. We are thinking of giving her $1000 in a VISA Gift Card to leave. Will that work?
Have you considered selling her to the circus?

Old 06-01-2015, 10:24 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
In the case of this...if it is all true, the family needs to get their heads out of their butts and get her social services, mental health care and actually help her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships