Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 11:26 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,824,290 times

Advertisements

What I don't like is someone who just thinks one genre is just crap, without even trying to listen to any of it, nor knowing what to even look for- like rap, or hip-hop. I hate country, but I know there's some Johnny Cash songs I'll listen to. I can see if a genre rubs one the wrong way, such as jazz, that has little differences band to band, but fir a genre that has many varitions from artist to artist, and even in that artist repetoir, is just asinine. Of course if all you heard was Wocka Flocka, or Jason Aldean, you'd be like; pfft, eff that spit. When you got the Black Eyed Peas, The Roots, and MF DOOM, or Darius Rucker, Jewel, or Cash. Mainstream genres have to be researched. I didn't just start listening to rock, and who the hell ever sung it, no, I listened and discovered bands like Guano Apes, The Birthday Massacre, Candlebox, and Flyleaf, and Otep.

As far as your problem, OP; I think you have too much stock in music, to be so vehemete about it, and it's probably if music finds it's way through speakers, or conversation, you pull out your soap box, and Lewis Black them about how country is the shiznit, and/or how whatever they like is beneath you- leave it alone. Though you didn't protray it in any form; to come and speak on your love of country music, and how you can't understand how anyone wouldn't like it, is pretty hypocritical. You have your reasons why you like country and somebody else has most likely similar reasons to why they like blues, or rock, or poo. Demaeaning something somebody takes joy in, is a good way to make an enemy, and really who's to say you wouldn't find at least a single song in some other genre that you would like. Hell, I hate ICP, but if I was so "grrrr" about it, I wouldn't have a single friend, or the past girlfriend, or my fiance, because they are all Juggalos, and juggalettes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 11:33 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Weird, I know. Born & raised listening to Country. I breathe country music. Do you find hard relating to people that don't listen to your kind of music? I'm closer to people that share my music tastes
Is country the ONLY music you listen to? Is the issue here that you like to hang out at country and dance clubs with friends who enjoy it with you? Are your friendships mainly just shared with music? I don't see a problem in loving a particular style of music (lots of people restrict themselves to the same thing), but it's too bad that you put such a premium on it for your friends.

I'm mostly into blues but I listen to a LOT of stuff, and one never knows what he/she will hear inside my house - could be blues, jazz, zydeco, country, oldies, even Big Band. We have a few "blues friends" but music is not a factor with my closest friends.

Interesting.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:44 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,313,615 times
Music is soul stirring, and I like all kinds. I can't relate to music snobs. You know the ones that cut down country music or any other type because they claim it is not worthy. If it makes you feel, it is worthy. When I am listening to what I choose, it can go from Motown like Sam Cooke and Marvin Gaye to Sam Smith or Miranda Lambert. I love classical music at times and the blues fit my moods at others. My musical tastes are vast with my playlist containing The Beatles, CCR, The Rolling Stones, Amy Winehouse, Taylor Swift, Blake Shelton, etc. etc. etc. There is no one genre for me.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:52 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Music is soul stirring, and I like all kinds. I can't relate to music snobs. You know the ones that cut down country music or any other type because they claim it is not worthy. If it makes you feel, it is worthy. When I am listening to what I choose, it can go from Motown like Sam Cooke and Marvin Gaye to Sam Smith or Miranda Lambert. I love classical music at times and the blues fit my moods at others. My musical tastes are vast with my playlist containing The Beatles, CCR, The Rolling Stones, Amy Winehouse, Taylor Swift, Blake Shelton, etc. etc. etc. There is no one genre for me.
I used to despise country music. Couldn't even like it in the 90's because to me it sounded like they were trying too hard to make it sound like hard rock, plus I thought Shania Twain was the worst singer ever (still can't listen to her). Fast-forward into the 2010's, and now I love it. It has a modern sound but without the desperation of the 90's, and I like some of the old style, too.

I can't say anything good about rap with it's rough lyrical content, but it has it's audience. And I like "punk" even less.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:13 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,313,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I used to despise country music. Couldn't even like it in the 90's because to me it sounded like they were trying too hard to make it sound like hard rock, plus I thought Shania Twain was the worst singer ever (still can't listen to her). Fast-forward into the 2010's, and now I love it. It has a modern sound but without the desperation of the 90's, and I like some of the old style, too.

I can't say anything good about rap with it's rough lyrical content, but it has it's audience. And I like "punk" even less.
Yep. A lot of people are down on different artists or genres for whatever reason, and I just think music is the best. For instance, many people don't like Taylor Swift, but her song Shake It Off makes me smile and dance. Isn't that the best of music when it makes us feel good? I never really have understood the appeal of Nirvana because so much of their music makes me feel bad, but hey to each his/her own.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:20 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,817,467 times
I like lots of different music except modern country. It doesn't bother me if others do not share my taste in music.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:28 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,353,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Weird, I know. Born & raised listening to Country. I breathe country music. Do you find hard relating to people that don't listen to your kind of music? I'm closer to people that share my music tastes
No, but I understand the mentality.

We all have our interests and in those interests we see fascinating little details people less interested are more likely to miss. We don't have time to notice the hidden beauty in everything, so it can be enjoyable to meet with people who happen to share similar interests and therefore notice the same hidden beauty.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Yep. A lot of people are down on different artists or genres for whatever reason, and I just think music is the best. For instance, many people don't like Taylor Swift, but her song Shake It Off makes me smile and dance. Isn't that the best of music when it makes us feel good? I never really have understood the appeal of Nirvana because so much of their music makes me feel bad, but hey to each his/her own.
People who listen ti artist like Nirvana listen to them for the lyrics,and meanings of the song, such as Heart-shaped Boxnis about Curts dad having cancer, and how he wishes basically he could take the cincer within himself, so his dad doesn't have it. I like songs about nothing too, I suppose Junior Seniors song Move Your Feet is about the same thing, I like that.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post

That woukd depend on the rap artist, I mean I don't think the Black Eyed Peas are in the same class as Lil Wayne, or Bone Crusher. I listen to some rap, and I mean some, I don't liten to mainstream rappers hardly unless it's somebody like Nas- there has to be a real message, such as his song Hip-Hop is dead, whixh is about rappers selling out and what appears to be the downfall of rap. i also like MF DOOM, which I always try to get people curious about, or trying to listen to rap to listen to,his ways of old metaphors, and similes, will make you think. He did a song with Gorillaz called November Has Come.

Punk is something I'm still.teying to get in to, I only have one Ramone song.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:27 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,938 times
I love country music too but not 24/7 without country sex, or something to make the moment special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships