Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 07:06 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times

Advertisements

I'm just guessing, but there would probably be NO marriages on earth if you don't marry because you had a break up with your partner before marriage.

MOST couples go through at least one break-up, get back together again period in their relationship. Even after marriage, people separate and get back together. Being apart makes them realize just how much they mean to each other.

To the OP: If you're sure, then don't listen to your friends and enjoy your life with hubby!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 07:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I'm just guessing, but there would probably be NO marriages on earth if you don't marry because you had a break up with your partner before marriage.

MOST couples go through at least one break-up, get back together again period in their relationship. Even after marriage, people separate and get back together. Being apart makes them realize just how much they mean to each other.

To the OP: If you're sure, then don't listen to your friends and enjoy your life with hubby!
No...

Old 11-15-2015, 07:23 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
Quote:

I agree. Not 110%. But it's valid. Hubby and I were only together 9 months before we got engaged and got married almost a year later. We never broke up. We almost did once. What he did was terrible and I almost left (not cheating but worse to me). 5 years into our marriage we hit a really rough patch. I thought seriously about leaving. Not ending it totally but renting an apartment in my home town for 6 months. We patched things up. But my best friend and my mom held that against me for 5 more years. Until I stopped talking to them.

Friends and family..,they only really hear your cries. They don't always see your joy. And they don't always forgive your partner for doing you wrong.

I don't blame them. Sometimes it's valid. My close friend had a baby with a man. I caught him cheating on her (red handed when she was out of town). I saw him manipulating her. After a couple years they got back together. A few months later I got to hear how he was abusing her. I begged her to leave. Offering her a new home. She didn't. Several months later her daughter was molested by him and she quickly found out. Now I had him pegged for an abuser and cheater. But not a Pedophile. After prison time and programs we found out he is a full blown Pedo.

Anyways. There are arguments on both sides. But you have to trust in yourself to make the right choice. And then you friends need to be happy for you or step off

Last edited by HighFlyingBird; 11-15-2015 at 08:08 PM..

Old 11-15-2015, 07:26 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
If your very closest friends aren't people you can trust and listen to to support your best interest, why are they your closest friends? Either you are terrible at picking friends are terrible at picking men.

Probably it's both. But usually when your friends and family are telling you not to marry somebody, it's a big red flag.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:27 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:

Most psycho couples.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:46 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,669,252 times
ROFL!

Your story sounds like mine 40 years ago. We were young, although he graduated from college at 19 (yeah, he's smart :-) I was still in college, and having a good ol' time. We had one big break up while I was still in college that lasted 9 months. Back together for two or three years, but we were both dating others (we lived about 600 miles away from each other due to school and work). Then another break-up. That one lasted several months, we gradually resume contact, and then decided to get married. Year long engagement. Married.

Been very happily married for 33+ years. At that point, we were ready -- we had grown up, and we kept finding ourselves circling back to the one that had our heart.

Listen to your heart, but don't let your heart out-shout common sense. :-) As a side comment, you might want to consider seeking out a very, very good pre-marital counseling course, one that includes open discussion on a wide variety of topics, and encourages good communication skills.

Congratulations!

Old 11-15-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Most psycho couples.
Why do you say that? What is psycho about a breakup and making up?

Old 11-15-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
No...
No what? elaborate instead of a one word answer that says virtually nothing to help the OP

Old 11-15-2015, 07:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
No what? elaborate instead of a one word answer that says virtually nothing to help the OP
I quoted what I was responding to. No, ime most couples who end up married didn't break up along the way first.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:17 PM

269 posts, read 481,125 times
Sounds to me that your friends are jealous. Women in your age bracket can be petty and dramatic, especially if you are getting something that they don't have. How do your married friends feel? As someone else mentioned, you are the youngest and you are getting married out of turn. I was a young woman once saw this happen with engagements and pregnancies. Don't worry about it, ignore their comments, live your life and congratulations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships