Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 08:51 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,229,749 times

Advertisements

Just go and have a meal and then say you want to watch the football game, no big deal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 09:13 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post

Like I said we just kept it on the superficial.
So just do the same at dinner.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:57 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
So OP, what did you decide?

Old 11-25-2015, 01:48 PM

194 posts, read 246,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Wondering how the appropriate response to the OP's dilemma differs if the family is Catholic vs the response if they are LDS or JW, or Jewish?
It depends on the OP's views on God.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:10 PM

439 posts, read 517,318 times
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for your responses.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:40 PM

O.K., this is what I decided.

I was miraculously invited to another event on Thanksgiving. I told the daughters last night, then texted the mom/landlady this a.m. (I would have told her last night, but she was already asleep). I try to handle the situation with a bit of humor, as far as, the event is only single people and they know I am on the hunt for a husband (sort of)...as I am always going on dates, etc. So, they have been "stood up"

I threw money at the situation, as far as, I taped my December rent check to the fridge this morning, and texted my landlady that it is okay to cash it today, which is 6 days early! Hopefully getting rent check one week early (hey, they rent the room out to me b/c they need $, it is a business arrangement...) will appease some of the rejection, but 'ya never know! Furthermore, I was at Whole Foods this morning and bought some flowers/centerpiece (darn you, whole foods, and your impulse buys!) for our table (and the meal I will not attend...) but they were such a gorgeous arrangement. We can enjoy them for a week or so.

I honestly think they were just being polite, and I'm not sure if they truly wanted me there...I am not sure if this link will work, but a friend posted on facebook this skit re: HOliday meals and controversial topics...I had to chuckle [hulu=http://www.flickr.com/photos/874561]LfzRMedBnatWGVazgABCpQ[/hulu]

Old 11-25-2015, 02:43 PM

Furthermore, I promised to bake the dessert, so I will have to do that tomorrow a.m. before I leave.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:10 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,851 times
Tell them you have to work, then spend the day volunteering at the homeless shelter, if they figure out what you did they can't say _hit!

Old 11-25-2015, 03:56 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
Sounds like it's working out very well! You did plenty to smooth over the situation.

Old 11-25-2015, 04:10 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
Yes, it is a real situation though - I didn't know they were a part of this group (although I had a sneaking suspicion in the interview, though I wasn't for sure...) I didn't find out for sure until several weeks of living there...I needed a place to live in 2 weeks...this place was the first place I looked at on craigslist and the price was right...Like I said we just kept it on the superficial.

Well it looks like further on in your thread you came up with a solution, so that is good, but I wouldn't pay rent so early going forward, she might start asking for it, providing the dessert you offered to bring would have been enough, and the classy thing to do. So you handled that well.

Other thing, next time don't be so "superficial", both you and the landlord need to be upfront about views, lifestyles, etc. For example many years ago I rented a room in a very nice condo(three bedrooms but it was just him and I), the owner was divorced and had his kids over one weekend a month. They were nice kids and it worked out.

The point is, I didn't find out after I moved in that his kids would be coming over one weekend a month. We discussed when I looked at the place.

You discuss things, you're going to be moving in. You discuss as much as possible so everyone is on the same page. I'm guessing being religious and having daughters she wouldn't be thrilled if you had overnight guests? Can you drink if you want to? If you want to get a cat, is that OK? These are things you find out before agree to move in. Not the weather.

And I wouldn't be comfortable about writing an blog trashing their religion under their roof.

You keep bringing up low rent, if you can afford to pay rent so early, you can afford to pay a little more someplace else.

Glad you found an alternative for TD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships