Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 09:40 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
I'm on the side of be gone or fake an illness. Some posters are saying dealing with uncomfortable situations is part of being an adult and that's true, but I believe that applies more to situations where you don't have a choice (like an order from your boss) but if you can avoid something like this you should. Your own home should be a sanctuary, particularly on a holiday. I think some people are underestimating just how psychologically stressful reminders of abuse can be, and just how forceful some religious proselytizers are. And some families really draw out the Thanksgiving dinner so it lasts all day. You know these people better than we do and if you think they're the type who won't be able to get through Thanksgiving without goading you, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt. Your best bets are:

1. Say you're sick. This is more believable if you tell them the night before that you feel yourself coming down with something. The down side is that you really will have to stay in your room all day and you might grow tired of that. If they're any kind of polite people they're check on you or offer to bring you a plate. It would look weird if you

2. Spend the day away (they think you are at work). See a movie. Go shopping. Have a spa day. Hang at the park if you're in a warm place. Go to Barnes and Noble and read an entire book from start to finish.
So wrong. If the OP didn't want to participate, should have said no when first invited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 09:42 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
So wrong. If the OP didn't want to participate, should have said no when first invited.
... and shouldn't have moved in with religious proselytizers.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
... and shouldn't have moved in with religious proselytizers.

Also when you write a blog that is against their religion.

I am doubting if this is even a real situation.

Who in their right mind moves into a house inhabited by people who belong to a religion that you "escaped" from. Wouldn't matter if the rent was a great deal. You have to cross paths with these people since you're all under one roof, never mind Thanksgiving dinner.

Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:24 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
Go to a movie or a museum. Eat at a Chinese restaurant.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:00 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
The OP is entitled to change their mind. These people aren't friends and they aren't family. OP is under no obligation to have Thanksgiving dinner with these religious cult members.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:15 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
The OP is entitled to change their mind. These people aren't friends and they aren't family. OP is under no obligation to have Thanksgiving dinner with these religious cult members.

Than don't move in with people who you think belong to a dangerous cult that you formerly belonged to.

Honestly, if this is even a real post the OP has bigger problems than worrying about Thanksgiving dinner.

Sooner or later this subject is going to come up, OP claims to be writing a blog on this group and bashing them, under their roof and using their Wi Fi....LOL.

OP shouldn't be living with these people period if they feel that strongly.

What's next on here "Hi I just joined Black Lives Matter, but my roommate belongs to the KKK"

This situation doesn't quite add up.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:08 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,978,721 times
You live under their roof, and you can't have one Thanksgiving dinner with them?

Old 11-23-2015, 06:55 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
All this time you have had no trouble with your landlady or her daughters; you even said you get along well with the younger women. Why do you think they're going to pounce on you now? Those who recommended you deflect any questions you'd rather not answer are right. Don't go hide in your room, that's silly. Dinner might not be terribly fun, but you accepted their invitation and they were probably just trying to be nice. I can't imagine having dinner with my family and NOT inviting someone who lived under my roof, leaving him or her alone behind a closed door. Make some small talk, ask what you can bring to the meal ... you'll be fine.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:58 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
It would be a disaster if I attended their thanksgiving - they actually are a part of a religious movement that I USED TO be a part of - now I write an anonymous blog about my experiences within that movement, how dangerous it is, and how harmful this movement is to people's lives....I don't want to get onto that topic over Thanksgiving! (they do not know I write the blog) HELP! I found this place through craigslist and I really like living here though...

Thanksgiving aside, why in the world would you choose to live with a family that has beliefs that you so vigorously disagree with that you blog about it? That in itself is quite dysfunctional.

For your own mental health, you really should find another place to live.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:04 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Who in their right mind moves into a house inhabited by people who belong to a religion that you "escaped" from. Wouldn't matter if the rent was a great deal. You have to cross paths with these people since you're all under one roof, never mind Thanksgiving dinner.

Doesn't make a lot of sense.

My thoughts exactly.

Sounds like Scientologists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships