Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2015, 05:48 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Years ago when I went away to college, the first time a football game came on I was shocked when my roommate told me he wasn't interested in watching. I later discovered he had no interest in joining me to play pickup basketball, volleyball, softball, or even weight lifting.

Until that time I always assumed that every male was interested in sports as I grew up with them being such an integral part of my life. All of my friends were also into sports as well, so I never realized there were men out there that didn't share the same interests.

Ever since then I've been fascinated with men that aren't into sports. What don't they like about them? Do they just dislike competition in general? (something that I love) How do they handle conversations about them in social settings?

Incidentally, I'm just as into sports now as I was then- at least when it comes to playing them. The amount of time I spend these says watching them has been tempered a bit due to a busy schedule.
I'm a man who doesn't care for sports, specifically traditional, team oriented sports. That said, I'm very active. I snow ski, mountain bike, mountain climb, backpack, hike, run, and strength train. I'm athletic looking and value being in shape, so people assume I'm a sports fan. Nope! I couldn't care less about basketball, football, etc etc. As to why, we'll it just doesn't hold my interest. I cannot sit through a game. I am bored within minutes. However, I'll jump at the chance to hit the trails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 05:52 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,159,825 times
Never was into sports and I find them very boring to watch on tv too. I also don't understand when people say MY team. It's not YOUR team, they are nothing to you. Amazing how worked up some people get over nothing.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:57 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
What I don't understand is, why don't most men like sports? What about the sports do they not like?
Why does anyone not like anything? Some people don't like to cook--it just doesn't interest them. Some people don't like to read--it just doesn't interest them. Some men don't like sports--it doesn't interest them. They probably can't break it down any further. They just don't care.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:10 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
For those that don't like sports, why don't you like them? It's a very simple question.
With a very simple answer. Or two.

One, I suck at playing them. I throw a ball like a girl, and can't catch one to save my life. I was so glad when I got to 9th grade and could start swimming--not as a sport, but as my gym class. There is nothing more embarrassing IYM than sports. If it were possible to do so, I would erase them, and everyone's memory of them, from the culture.

As far as watching them goes, I can't see the ball well enough. If I am held hostage and forced to watch a ball game, basketball is the only one in which I can follow the ball. I don't really know what the players are doing, but I only watch while kidnapped, so no biggie. I understand baseball for the most part, but don't see it well enough to be interested in watching, even on today's TVs. Football, I have no idea what's going on. It astounds me that it is popular. It makes me believe in reincarnation, and that if I'm good in this life, my next life will take place in a world in which there is no such thing as sports.

Maybe now that we're coming to understand the brain damage that can go along with playing football, it will become extinct.

When it comes to wondering who will win, who will lose, who will get what he wants, and what happens next, novels and drama are the flavors in which I prefer my suspense.

Last edited by jay5835; 12-12-2015 at 06:23 PM..

Old 12-12-2015, 06:29 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,940 times
Quote:
I love sports, mostly because I love competition. I also love the complexity of strategy and tactics associated with most sports.

For those that don't like sports, why don't you like them? It's a very simple question.
I don't like sports partially because I don't like competition or the complexity of strategy and tactics associated with most sports.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:50 PM

743 posts, read 766,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
You'll never find me criticizing people who "like sports". I criticize those who do nothing but pay money for overpriced merchandise, sit around a television and draw their vicarious identity from someone else's achievements.

Operative words being "vicarious identity "

I'll even occasionally watch some Olympics for the sheer amazement of what the human body and mind can do. I "like sports" as a field of human achievement, active comradery, and fitness workout.

So far as interests, I practice running for fitness. Reading: History, science -- especially nutrition and health -- and current events. I try to stay 'one step ahead' in my field of expertise, furthering my specialized education every chance I get. Outdoors: Birdwatching, hiking, home improvements, landscaping. Heck, I climb trees just for the fun of it, and I'm nearly 60! A nerd, yes. Bitter or neurasthenic? No.

So far as having minimal respect for "spectator sports fanatics": I work at an airport. I observe literally thousands upon thousands of these bloated, self important slobs decked out in their "team" gear. They are insufferably arrogant and rude. Half the time drunk. Demanding, whining, attention seekers. And they always go on about "we" did this or that. No, you sat your lard-laden hindquarters in a seat while somebody else did something.

Go make your own identity in life instead of buying one!
You seem angry that people are having fun. You do your thing and let others do their's ... leave the judging up to God.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:47 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Im a man, well somewhat of one, and I couldn't care less about ball sports. I played basketball, nerf football and street hockey all the time growing up, and even went to a few Eagles games, but mostly just to hang out and get loaded with a friend. I couldn't think of a more torturous way to spend a day than watching sports on TV.
Sometimes I wish I could be a bro-dood, and commune with other makes and like this stuff, but at my age, I dont think its going to happen.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:15 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,331,625 times
Quote:
How do they handle conversations about them in social settings?
How do a sports fan handle conversations about other subjects in social settings?

Old 12-13-2015, 12:44 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,331,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
For older folks like me (52) walking is a nice steady cardio workout. To each his own but if you walk at a fairly quick pace you elevate your heart rate and it works for me.
A 30 minute walk a day is enough to become healthier.
Then of course you can add weight lifting or other activities.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:45 AM

920 posts, read 932,031 times
Quote:
Years ago when I went away to college, the first time a football game came on I was shocked when my roommate told me he wasn't interested in watching. I later discovered he had no interest in joining me to play pickup basketball, volleyball, softball, or even weight lifting.

Until that time I always assumed that every male was interested in sports as I grew up with them being such an integral part of my life. All of my friends were also into sports as well, so I never realized there were men out there that didn't share the same interests.

Ever since then I've been fascinated with men that aren't into sports. What don't they like about them? Do they just dislike competition in general? (something that I love) How do they handle conversations about them in social settings?

Incidentally, I'm just as into sports now as I was then- at least when it comes to playing them. The amount of time I spend these says watching them has been tempered a bit due to a busy schedule.
My husband finds sports boring. He also doesn't enjoy playing them. He's a cyclist though. And he'll play board games. I am glad, I am the same way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships