Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2015, 08:11 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,948,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
It really doesn't matter. People CAN'T LIKE something they have no experience doing. They may also have experienced pain while trying an activity or they may have experienced too much failure in doing the activity. Nonetheless the default condition is to not like something with which they have no experience. For someone to like something they definitely have to have experience with it, therefore 'Why do you like sports?' is a more valid question than 'Why don't you like sports?'
I don't agree with this at all. There are plenty of things I have no experience with that I am interested in.

Which begs the question- for those that don't like sports, what is it about them that you don't like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 08:14 AM

25 posts, read 33,752 times
My husband isn't into sports either, but then again he isn't American so that might have something to do with it. We watch soccer, but that's only when it's the world cup. He is German. He's a techie so he bonds with other guys around technology. That's what they talk about. He also loves watching bands, going to concerts, traveling and eating (foodie). I feel I hit the jackpot with him (12 years of marriage) because we don't waste time in front of the tv or at sports games.

We recently met a couple, new to our neighborhood and they are big sports fan. They have mentioned over and over that they will teach us about sports and eventually we will love it. He and my husband have gone to some high school football games but my hubby was texting me the whole time, LOL. I think he's getting the message that we just aren't into it. They now play video games for hours together. The wife and I are both foodies so we bond over that and other girly subjects like hair, fashion and makeup. Our kids go to school together so there's always that to talk about too.

We have a full and busy social calendar that includes going out to new restaurants, traveling (4-5 times a year) and live music. Our friends share those same interests.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:21 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,339,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
I bet I can name 1000 different tactics in baseball.
Talk is cheap.
Prove it!

Old 12-14-2015, 08:28 AM

714 posts, read 748,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
Quite a few unique -- and oftentimes outstanding -- men have zero interest in the whole culture of spectator sports

My husband lives by the motto "be your own athlete"

We both run for fitness.

Techie guys, engineering type guys, history buffs, and men who are working hard at achieving thier "own" goals often don't have the time of day for spectator sports, especially the cult like professional team fan culture.

I can understand a guy caring about a local high school team, or something "real".

But I find it pathetic when beer belly men lounge around in a recliner then go on about "How we beat those S0Bs"

No. You sat your lard-laden hindquarters in a chair.

I have zero interest in, and minimal respect for spectator sports fanatics. I like men who actually do and accomplish great things!

Having an interest in sports and being a fanatic are different. This is a reach.

However, I know lots of men (and women) who are sports FANATICS and also do/accomplish great things.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:38 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,901,124 times
Quote:
Which begs the question- for those that don't like sports, what is it about them that you don't like?
Still?

BTW, you could use some clarity on the actual meaning of "beg the question." https://www.google.com/search?q=begs...utf-8&oe=utf-8

You seem well-named, however.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:18 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,948,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Still?

BTW, you could use some clarity on the actual meaning of "beg the question." https://www.google.com/search?q=begs...utf-8&oe=utf-8

You seem well-named, however.
But why don't they like sports? What about the sports do they not like?

Old 12-14-2015, 09:32 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,663,857 times
Quote:
But why don't they like sports? What about the sports do they not like?
What about chocolate don't some people like?
What about vanilla?
What difference does it make?
Why don't people like anything they don't like?
More importantly, why would anyone care?

Old 12-14-2015, 09:37 AM

52,293 posts, read 52,734,263 times
I've played some sports over the years, I was into Karate as a kid, I used to play some pretty good baseball. I was actually a pretty good hitter, used to knock that mother....... Maybe it's my loner nature, IDK, but the sports that did interest me we more solo, like Karate, or wrestling, IDK.

In general I don't care for sports, I find people get way way too invested into it. I'm not a typical male, as most guys prattle on and on about sports, and over the years I've just learned to tune it out when they start in on it.

I'm much more of a music guy, I suppose that's more my thing, but to each their own I guess.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:47 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,605,245 times
Quote:
I don't agree with this at all. There are plenty of things I have no experience with that I am interested in.

I like to play sports, but I don't like to play sports with people who like to play sports. My interest is pretty casual, and it's hard to find groups without players who act like their life's work is on the line. I don't need you shoving past me to get the ball, Giant Middle-Aged Jock, I prefer to go to the office not covered in bruises. And because I don't play often, I'm not terribly good, which makes playing even less satisfying outside of casual family-gathering kick-arounds.

I like to watch sports, but not obsessively. If a game is on and I'm not busy, I'll watch it, but I don't pay for ESPN or neglect other things. When I do watch games it's usually in person. I'd usually rather be doing something than watching something on TV much of the time, and when I'm watching something it's probably a TV show with my wife. I follow sports news casually, just to know what's going on and follow the discussions.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:51 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,918,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
What about chocolate don't some people like?
What about vanilla?
What difference does it make?
Why don't people like anything they don't like?
More importantly, why would anyone care?
Well, that is the whole purpose of these forums--to learn about things you don't know. Maybe people have answered him (there are several pages I have to read yet), but most posts so far have been if they do or do not like sports and what they prefer instead.

I think this is an interesting thread. Although, I do suspect many people won't have a clear answer to 'why.' Part of it is definitely culture. My husband loves sports of all kinds. I think it is a combination of reasons for him. He is super competitive, and has natural talent. He grew up in a time and place where high school sports were elevated. He also grew up where the national football team is sacred. And it was how he spent time with his dad.

I'm sure most of these reasons would be missing in non sports lovers (except for the competitiveness), but I'm curious to hear directly from others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships