Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2022, 05:05 PM

402 posts, read 274,565 times

Advertisements

Oh I just remembered a sport I liked watching and was never boring as you would never know what will happen next. WWE. But that's as much performance art and acting as a sport.

I think I also enjoy athletics and gymnastics. They also has some disciplines that make you go "WTF, that's unhuman". And I enjoy watching contortionists. Whether you define that as a sport or not. Dance IMO is really a kind of sport as well. It has every definition of a sport - it's physical, has set rules/moves. Like gymnastics and athletics it can be fun to watch, especially acrobatic/tap dance combos that make you go "What the...." yes tap dance despite it's image is akin to a sport. I mean the only reason I watch musicals is those numbers like the Ross Sisters. I don't care about musicals that are only about singing, which unfortunately is the trend since the 60s. Now those are really total cr@p fests.

But somehow team sports like basketball and golf aren't that interesting to watch compared to my listed exceptions to be really exciting for TV imo. But they are still fun and great to practice.

They should lax the rules maybe. If in basketball you had to do cartwheels after scoring it would be a spectacle. Not sure those tall people can pull it off though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 05:11 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,675,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm not a man, but probably men that don't watch sports don't watch sports because it is boring.

I like playing basketball, but it is boring to watch big tall hairy men run a short distance back and forth and back and forth and drop a ball into a basket that is just about their eye level. A big yawn.

And talk about boring to watch: golf and tennis. That's like watching a stranger play video Pong.

Baseball has a nice pace and patterns to it but you can't see any of that on TV. A live game where you can see the whole field and there is some excitement from the crowd is OK, if you can afford to go to games. But I have more important things to spend my money on and I don't like dealing with the parking.

Football used to be OK, but now it is lucky if one game out of twenty is exciting. Those guys are paid enough to take an injury but all the new rules strangle the excitement out of the game. I don't need to sit there and watch men run out the sidelines every time so that they can avoid being tackled between all of the time-outs. The game never really gets going. it is a bit of a start and then a time out and then another kick that no one runs about and another time out. Dull.

And watching cars drive around an around a little circle? I can see more exciting traffic on the interstate.

I do watch sports. I will watch Grand Prix jumping and rodeo.
I've never heard of Grand Prix jumping and the last time I saw rodeo was on old Stoney Burke and Rawhide TV shows.

STONEY BURKE: "FORGET NO MORE

Old 07-21-2022, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Someone referred to the uppity attitude of non-sports fans towards sports fans. Exhibit A right above.
I am a sport fan. I've never felt as happy in my life as the first time I played basketball. Couldn't stop laughing from the good endorphins.

And yet I'd watch WWE to any standard sport. Or contortionist acts lime the Ross Sisters. God we need to bring those like them back to movies. I'd say athletics and gymnastics are two sports that can be enjoyed by me on TV. Anything that pushes the boundaries of joints and gravity. There's a reason they are considered more risky than golf or even soccer.

Old 07-21-2022, 06:50 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomektomek View Post
I am a sport fan. I've never felt as happy in my life as the first time I played basketball. Couldn't stop laughing from the good endorphins.

And yet I'd watch WWE to any standard sport. Or contortionist acts lime the Ross Sisters. God we need to bring those like them back to movies. I'd say athletics and gymnastics are two sports that can be enjoyed by me on TV. Anything that pushes the boundaries of joints and gravity. There's a reason they are considered more risky than golf or even soccer.
Did you happen to see The Undertaker vs. Mankind, Hell in a Cell? I'd say that pushed the boundaries of gravity, right off the top of that cage. That was pretty darn risky!

For WWE, I believe they were compelled to change their name from WWF because, well, it is strictly - entertainment. And I am down with that. Great show.

Tubby guys running around in tights with shoulder pads and cleats, trying to knock each other down and grab at an egg shaped ball...it never really caught on for me. Gimme those glorious mountains of bare muscles glistening under the lights!

Old 07-22-2022, 05:21 AM

I don't remember specific things like that, maybe I have, but it was looong ago. Our TV channels no longer carry it. But I do remember how OTT it was and how I enjoyed when they'll break chairs in one another.

I also enjoyed the ladies. They'll overplay the b-ch factor to hell lol. HThe fights of Chyna (RIP) and Trish Stratus were so fun! Chyna would wipe the floor with Trish usually lol. Glory days growing up the late 90s and early 2000s.

Old 07-22-2022, 10:43 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,655,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I've never heard of Grand Prix jumping and the last time I saw rodeo was on old Stoney Burke and Rawhide TV shows.

STONEY BURKE: "FORGET NO MORE
Grand Prix jumping is amazing and rodeo is morbidly fascinating. They're both on TV frequently. Non-stop action, unlike some sit-and-wait sports.

Old 07-22-2022, 03:39 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I can understand wanting to play a sport, but to just sit there watching others play....snore.
Hey, baseball, 15 minutes of action packed into three hours.

I do like to watch it. You can go get a snack without a huge chance of missing anything.

Old 07-22-2022, 05:08 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,647,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hey, baseball, 15 minutes of action packed into three hours.

I do like to watch it. You can go get a snack without a huge chance of missing anything.
Baseball is the only professional sport that I've ever watched in person. It's kind of fun, hanging out at the ballpark, enjoying the great outdoors, eating overpriced snacks, chatting with your friends, occasionally seeing something interesting happen on the field.

Old 07-22-2022, 08:36 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,903,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Which manages to be even worse. I mean, why not just have the word NITWIT tattooed to your forehead? Fantasy football is football without the actual fun.
Its called gambling.

Old 07-23-2022, 03:24 AM

To answer OP who might not be active anymore but whatever.

I do enjoy playing sports. I love the competition. Apart from weightlifting and gymnastics my most favorite sports to practice are very aggressive and about competition - basketball, handball, hockey. I might be missing some, have yet to eat breakfast.

I just don't enjoy watching sports on TV. Actually I tried watching tennis in real life and it was quite more enjoyable than watching it on TV where it is soon boring. So somehow seeing them in 3D is nicer for me. But I don't go out of my way to visit games irl. I still prefer the endorphins or whatever feel-good chemicals I get from playing and all the joy (and unfortunately for my team mates sometimes hysterical laughter). As I said I'd rather watch contortionists or the WWE on TV than sports but I love playing sports.

Now as for OP room mate not being interested in practicing sports either I was like that as a teen. It often has to do with either pure laziness or just genuine lack of interest if he's more passionate about other hobbies.

But it's also possible he has some hormonal issues like low testosterone or/and high estrogen, or thyroid/adrenal problems.

I had thyroid issues and adrenal fatigue as a teen so I suddenly lost all ability, desire and motivation to do sports. I just had low drive for anything and was always sleepy and tired. Now those issues are fixed I train every other day and enjoy sports once again. Oh and TMI but I thought I have turned asexual as a teen. Turns out hypothyroidism often goes together with low testosterone, so I just liked girls romantically but didn't have much of a sex drive. I have higher T and more sex drive now in my 30s than then and surprise surprise I like sports even more than I did as a pre-teen. Your whole personality depends on hormones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships