Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2022, 06:32 AM

17,450 posts, read 22,203,441 times

Advertisements

Pro Sports Watching millionaires play games!
College Sports: Watching future millionaires play games!

I could care less about watching sports. I attend a few MLB games per season but as far as making time to watch, that is rare for me. Sunday afternoons, I'll watch the final few holes of golf if it is a close match, I saw Serena play last night for a few minutes and I'll watch a 15 min recap of the previous day's sports.

The best for me: Falling asleep on the couch in the 3rd inning of a baseball game, wake up in the 8th inning and find the same score! You missed nothing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 08:02 AM

9,229 posts, read 6,387,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
Yes. And also a timid "non competitive" husband. Being non competitive is not a good thing. That can be seen as lazy and non competitive people tend to be less successful in life.
Competitive =/= ambitious.

Old 09-05-2022, 05:27 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,161,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It all depends on what kind of crowd you hang out with. I've never known anyone, male or female, friend or relative, who was into watching or doing organized sports. Walking, hiking--yes. I had an uncle who enjoyed fishing. That's about it, in my world.

Nobody looked at any of us weird, because we didn't have a favorite team or because we didn't even know which team names went with which sports. No one else in our circles had any interest, either, so it was fine. It sounds like you may not have found your niche, not among Americans at least. There's a large percentage of them, that aren't interested in sports.
See, your life is the exact opposite of mine Ruth. Growing up, my whole family, uncles, cousins, etc liked at the bare minimum the Yankees, and the Giants (NFL). In fact, I didn't even know that many kids or friends growing up who didn't play at least one type of sport, or at least like them. All of my friends growing up were involved in sports in one way or another. Getting back to the family, when we got together at X'mas time, all of the guys usually went into the kitchen to talk sports, while the woman went to the basement to gossip. As kids, we played football and basketball in the yard all the time. Heck, even my sister is a die hard Yankees, Giants fan. She never misses a game. She's more of a fan than her husband.

I myself wrestled in high school, ran x-country, and some years did track and others I swam. Should have played basketball. That was my favorite sport growing up. Football was my second. But I was already wrestling and was varsity so I had invested too many camps, etc in that sport. Couldn't do both. Wanted too though. Otherwise, I would have played those sports as well. Heck, I ran x-country for four years only because I was good at it. Only sport that I didn't really enjoy. I even had scholarships from those sports that I never even used. I started my college career at the community college level. And that community college didn't have wrestling at the time or x country. However, looking back at those years in high school and on sports teams, I loved the comradery of it all. Those friendships last a lifetime.

So while I see a lot of judgements on people who like sports from people that don't like sports, I guess us sports lovers could become cruel too. I can say that those who didn't play sports were mainly the dorks, nerds who couldn't toss a ball of any sort to save their life. I won't. I'll just say, to each, his or her own. By the way, I'm a huge college football fan. Go Blue. Just had to stick that in there for all those "trashy buckeye fans!" Just kidding, or am I?

Anyway, people who love sports have many other passions too. But that's not to say that we don't get enjoyment out of watching sports. We sure do. Some of you sport haters would have hated my dorm at the university. We had non stop Espn on. Roommates tv and I didn't argue. This was early nineties.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 09-05-2022 at 05:54 PM..

Old 09-07-2022, 10:12 PM

4,707 posts, read 3,047,335 times
Quote:
Yes. And also a timid "non competitive" husband. Being non competitive is not a good thing.
That can be seen as lazy and non competitive people tend to be less successful in life.
Is that just an opinion, or are there studies to support it?
And how could "success in life" be measured, anyway? Material things?
Maybe that noncompetitive husband is happy with what he has,
while his competitive neighbor has more, but is unhappy
because some guy down the street has even more stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Pro Sports Watching millionaires play games!
College Sports: Watching future millionaires play games!
Most college athletes won't make it to the pros.
As for the ones who do, why shouldn't they become millionaires?
The latest NFL TV contract alone was for about $120 billion,
and none of that would be possible without the players.

Last edited by NW4me; 09-07-2022 at 10:32 PM..

Old 09-08-2022, 05:10 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,713,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
See, your life is the exact opposite of mine Ruth. Growing up, my whole family, uncles, cousins, etc liked at the bare minimum the Yankees, and the Giants (NFL). In fact, I didn't even know that many kids or friends growing up who didn't play at least one type of sport, or at least like them. All of my friends growing up were involved in sports in one way or another. Getting back to the family, when we got together at X'mas time, all of the guys usually went into the kitchen to talk sports, while the woman went to the basement to gossip. As kids, we played football and basketball in the yard all the time. Heck, even my sister is a die hard Yankees, Giants fan. She never misses a game. She's more of a fan than her husband.

I myself wrestled in high school, ran x-country, and some years did track and others I swam. Should have played basketball. That was my favorite sport growing up. Football was my second. But I was already wrestling and was varsity so I had invested too many camps, etc in that sport. Couldn't do both. Wanted too though. Otherwise, I would have played those sports as well. Heck, I ran x-country for four years only because I was good at it. Only sport that I didn't really enjoy. I even had scholarships from those sports that I never even used. I started my college career at the community college level. And that community college didn't have wrestling at the time or x country. However, looking back at those years in high school and on sports teams, I loved the comradery of it all. Those friendships last a lifetime.

So while I see a lot of judgements on people who like sports from people that don't like sports, I guess us sports lovers could become cruel too. I can say that those who didn't play sports were mainly the dorks, nerds who couldn't toss a ball of any sort to save their life. I won't. I'll just say, to each, his or her own. By the way, I'm a huge college football fan. Go Blue. Just had to stick that in there for all those "trashy buckeye fans!" Just kidding, or am I?

Anyway, people who love sports have many other passions too. But that's not to say that we don't get enjoyment out of watching sports. We sure do. Some of you sport haters would have hated my dorm at the university. We had non stop Espn on. Roommates tv and I didn't argue. This was early nineties.
My guess is that this thread somewhat started because the non-sports people were tired of the judgments from people who like sports a lot and make judgments about people who don’t like sports. I know people who say they don’t want their kids to do stuff other than sports because of the camaraderie and other positive aspects of it, but you can gain those same things doing band/orchestra, theater, or one of a number of other activities. It’s also laughable to suggest that people who do theater or play music aren’t competitive. Especially with theater, people who are serious about it do tons of auditions and have to improve their craft to get anywhere.

Old 09-09-2022, 08:32 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,063,132 times
I wanted to play football sooo bad starting in junior high. The coach even called my dad and basically begged him to let me play. See, my dad was a punk, lier, narcissistic, AH and I would spit on his grave if I was standing in front of it now. His son playing any kind of sports meant "too much invested time and money" for him....smh

Fortunately, I do like to watch sports but don't have a favorite team (other than the Georgia Bulldogs football team).

Old 09-11-2022, 01:54 PM

9,396 posts, read 13,052,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
As someone whose not at all into sports culture, I assure you it has nothing to do with being intimidated by it. People who don't enjoy sports also have other interests in life - no one is saying that someone whose a sports enthusiast can't have other interests. But for some people, sports provides little to no interest. And that's ok.

But it's interesting that you believe those of us not interested in sports are intimidated by the culture. Laughable. Who or what is "bashing men who like sports because they were picked on by jocks in High school" - that is pure projecting on your part.
I also laughed out loud at this. I have zero interest in organized sports. I do golf and run, although I have little interest watching other people perform those same activities. I might get some enjoyment out of attending a PGA event live someday, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I wanted to play football sooo bad starting in junior high. The coach even called my dad and basically begged him to let me play. See, my dad was a punk, lier, narcissistic, AH and I would spit on his grave if I was standing in front of it now. His son playing any kind of sports meant "too much invested time and money" for him....smh
Knowing what we know now about post-concussion syndrome, I will never, under any circumstances, allow my son to play football or any other contact sports.

Old 09-12-2022, 09:53 AM

377 posts, read 277,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Is that just an opinion, or are there studies to support it?
And how could "success in life" be measured, anyway? Material things?
Maybe that noncompetitive husband is happy with what he has,
while his competitive neighbor has more, but is unhappy
because some guy down the street has even more stuff.
https://www.elitedaily.com/life/comp...better/1174286

14 Reasons Why Competitive People Are Better In Life, Business And Love

https://www.rvia.org/news-insights/r...20%24150%2C000.

Importantly, according to the report, college sports fans are 1.6 times more likely to have incomes higher than $100,000 compared to the overall U.S. population. Of the 42% of college sports fans who are female, 31% of female “Known Fans” have incomes greater than $150,000.

Old 09-12-2022, 09:56 AM

377 posts, read 277,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Congratulations on having an intelligent husband.
There is not a positive correlation between not liking sports and intelligence. As I posted references above, sports fans live better lives and have more success ON AVERAGE.

Old 09-12-2022, 10:06 AM

9,396 posts, read 13,052,216 times
Quote:
Importantly, according to the report, college sports fans are 1.6 times more likely to have incomes higher than $100,000 compared to the overall U.S. population. Of the 42% of college sports fans who are female, 31% of female “Known Fans” have incomes greater than $150,000.
Perhaps college sports fans are 1.6 times more likely to have graduated college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships