Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2022, 02:15 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
Apparently this thread is just a way to bash men who like sports because they were picked on by jocks in highschool or something. The highest rated shows on TV are sporting events. Sunday night football consistently has the most viewers on Sundays. The super bowl and march madness is basically a national holiday. Any major college has a culture that is dominated by its basketball and football teams. Most childhoods are dominated by sports and that can be your identity growing up. Sports is easily the most popular hobby and interest in America and I think people who aren't into that are intimidated by the sports culture. People who enjoy sports also have other interests in life.
As someone whose not at all into sports culture, I assure you it has nothing to do with being intimidated by it. People who don't enjoy sports also have other interests in life - no one is saying that someone whose a sports enthusiast can't have other interests. But for some people, sports provides little to no interest. And that's ok.

But it's interesting that you believe those of us not interested in sports are intimidated by the culture. Laughable. Who or what is "bashing men who like sports because they were picked on by jocks in High school" - that is pure projecting on your part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2022, 02:23 PM

63 posts, read 24,909 times
I tried sports as a kid, joining a T-league first and later a basketball team in elementary. I eventually learned that team sports just aren't for me, I'm too individualistic. I can be competitive at times, but only on an individual basis.

Old 08-19-2022, 03:34 PM

2,979 posts, read 1,651,961 times
My husband likes sports and so do I. Love a good football game (US, can't stand watching soccer) and we usually watch the Super Bowl. But we rarely watch anything else on a regular basis.

We have a friend who watches everything even the Tour de France Follows every UK football game, loves Man U, he's also very active athletically. When he tries to talk sports to my husband it's hilarious as he has no idea what friend is talking about.

Old 08-20-2022, 03:17 PM

993 posts, read 546,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Ever since then I've been fascinated with men that aren't into sports. What don't they like about them? Do they just dislike competition in general? (something that I love) How do they handle conversations about them in social settings?
For the main stream sports that cater to the masses it's just so boring sitting there watching something I cant even relate to. I watch MotoGP because I too am a motorcycle racer (club level). I watch mountain biking on youtube because I too am a mountain biker. I watch the sports that I play.

Old 08-26-2022, 08:49 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,165,493 times
When I use the term “he’s just one of the guys or a dude’s dude” it really helps to have an appreciation for sports. It’s like the difference between being a 3 star general vs a 1 star general. Fantasy football is a prime example. I just have more in common when I can strike up a conversation about Fantasy football or NFL because the common thread of sports gives instant street cred. It’s always the ultimate ice breaker and bonding mechanism if you can meet a guy and ask him “who’s you team or did you catch Monday Night Football?”

Not saying I don’t have friends who aren’t into sports but they are on a lower level of friendship.

Old 08-26-2022, 10:27 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,226,992 times
I find watching people play games boring. As for playing games myself. I'm not that interested.

But I do solitary things like swimming or hiking.

I tried it but often way to many people take it way too seriously. They often get frustrated with his little I care.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:24 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,375,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Thank goodness my husband cares nothing for sports. I would never have dated him if he were. It's incredibly boring to watch sports or to listen to people talking about sports.

No, he's not competitive by nature. He doesn't join in on conversations about sports. He has no close friends that are sport nuts - yes, lots of them exist.
Congratulations on having an intelligent husband.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:46 AM

4,604 posts, read 6,374,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
When I use the term “he’s just one of the guys or a dude’s dude” it really helps to have an appreciation for sports. It’s like the difference between being a 3 star general vs a 1 star general. Fantasy football is a prime example. I just have more in common when I can strike up a conversation about Fantasy football or NFL because the common thread of sports gives instant street cred. It’s always the ultimate ice breaker and bonding mechanism if you can meet a guy and ask him “who’s you team or did you catch Monday Night Football?”

Not saying I don’t have friends who aren’t into sports but they are on a lower level of friendship.
Sounds a little shallow to me. It's like me saying my christian friends are not on the same level as my atheist friends, or my republican friends are inferior to my democratic friends, or quilters vs non quilters...
Of course, anyone can believe as they see fit, and sports seem to be a major part of who you are as a person...fine, but to put someone else on a lower level of friendship for not being into sports is seeing them not for who they are, but who you'd rather they be.

Fantasy football....to me it's like an adult having a conversation with Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy...they are all make believe....and I don't do make believe any more.

For the record...I watched exactly 1/2 of a football game in high school... 1965, and none since, I am not a fan of team sports. I'll watch/participate in individual sports, where the contestant wins or loses on their own merit.

Old 08-29-2022, 08:55 AM

8,273 posts, read 8,664,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
I hope you check out your doctors, so you don't have any that are unintelligent sports fans. Check your boss and your husbands. You may have to quit since you wouldn't want to work for such an unintelligent person.

Old 09-01-2022, 06:16 AM

377 posts, read 275,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Yes. And also a timid "non competitive" husband. Being non competitive is not a good thing. That can be seen as lazy and non competitive people tend to be less successful in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships