Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 11:24 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,018 times

Advertisements

When she or her husband brings it up you say, "Thank you. I appreciate the offer, but I'm not interested/it's not for me" or whatever. They will probably try to overcome your objection with a question like "What is it about the opportunity that you are struggling with?" and then they will have a "solution" for anything you say, so have a distractor in you back pocket and whip it out without taking a breath. Something to the affect of, "Oh, before I forget. I thought it might be nice to take the kids to the Chuck E. Cheese Saturday?"

If you want to see if you can salvage a friendship with this person, be polite but firm. Be forewarned, though, that most MLM people only associate with other MLM people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 12:03 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
If you feel obligated to buy friendships for $300 a pop go ahead. Do you think she would do the same for you?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-12-2016, 05:26 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,211 times
I knew where this was headed the second that she said that she and hubby sold the product....

The sad part is that you liked this woman and felt a connection. I hope you are friends but in my life experience once someone gets hook, line and sinker into MLM schemes, they are gone until they wise up, if they wise up. The most effective MLM converts are very charismatic people who hold "parties" where dozens of people without the time or inclination fork over their hard earned money to buy product that they will never sell and may never use. You did the right thing by resisting when you had reservations.

My parents got involved with an Amway clone in the 1970s. A very charismatic guy was a "friend" for a while but once they signed up, we never saw him again. Now neither of my parents could sell water in the desert so their tons of product was used incrementally for decades, taking space in our basement. The thing that gripes me about MLM schemes is that it all rests on getting (duping) more converts because each convert, especially the selling and recruit signing convert puts money in the pockets of the persons above them in the pyramid. And I have to wonder, if the product was so darned good why isn't it out on the open market instead of being sold out of trunks of cars and basements and storage closets in conditions not conducive to long shelf life?

I hope it all works out but I'm not too hopeful. Report back to us OP.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Slightly different story here.

My husband has a friend he's been friends with since grade school. This guy has gotten into MLM schemes over and over again and ALWAYS contacts us trying to get us to buy into his latest deal. We have never done so.

He is a weird sort of guy but he's loyal. He and my husband are still friends in spite of the MLM stuff. In fact, he has been very supportive and helpful to my husband over this past year while my husband's parents both became very ill and eventually passed away. He didn't try to sell us a single thing this whole year! Maybe even the past two years.

But the difference is - they were friends long before he ever got roped into any MLM programs.

I know a girl who sells Mary Kay. Now - I like some MK products. I'll buy them occasionally from her. For several years she would throw the bait out there "You ought to consider being a consultant," "You'd win such cool stuff if you threw a party," etc. I just never went for it. No, I can't be friends with her because she's so full of that pink KoolAid that it's her entire life - but to give her credit where credit is due, she's done very well with MK and made a lot of money over the years. And she did eventually quit trying to get me to sign up and apparently has resigned herself to the fact that I'm a very sporadic customer and will never be a MK consultant. She's one of the few people I know who has ALMOST (but not quite) found that balance and that sweet spot with that sort of stuff.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:52 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Exactly. This person is a unique type of predator. Just walk away.
I agree, a solid "No, not interested" with your decision being respected and that being the end of it, or cut your losses, this is no "friend".

Old 01-12-2016, 08:40 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,273,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
Tell her you can't because you just invested the $300 in a pair of sneakers and a couple of workout outfits and you're going to try to lose weight this way instead.
I don't need to lose the weight. Not to be crass but I only got the detox tea from her so I could s*** normally. I'm at a good weight and work out regularly.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:43 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
If this friendship or whatever it is ends because you don't buy a bunch of crap then you know where she stood all along.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If you feel obligated to buy friendships for $300 a pop go ahead. Do you think she would do the same for you?
I didn't feel obligated persay but never been in this type of situation I was curious as how to support her business, sustain our friendship, and tell her no thanks to signing up. I wouldn't mind investing into a business that seemed viable and solid and had she presented such a business instead of the MLM then I would have been more interested. Three hundred dollars is not a lot of money to me, so it wasn't the money that was the problem, more so the fact that it's an MLM and I don't want to even get roped in to the scheme. Even investing money into it is placing myself in the scheme. I'm not doing it though.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're naïve at best.

The bolded parts.

1) You have no idea what their financial situation is. They could be in debt up to their eyeballs.

2) Oh wow, you have known her a whole 4 months....LOL. That's an acquaintance, not a friend.

Wise up a little please.
1) I already said I don't know their financial situation after I described her nice house, private and daycare tuition I stated that in addition to those expenses she may have other expenses that might warrant extra income that they do not have hence why she may be doing the MLM.
2) we all have different definitions of friendships. I associate acquaintances with people I'm polite with, talk to when I see, and get along with, however a friend to me is someone that I invest time with-we hang out more than a couple of times, text, talk on the phone, and like each other's company enough to try to meet up when our schedules allow. Obviously I do not consider her a close nit friend, a best friend, or a buddy, but I do refer to her as a friend based on my own ideas of friendships. Now you may disagree and that is fine. It is all relative. I have hung out with her over the last four months, and last week was the first time the MLM nonsense came up.

I am going to tell her I'm not interested in it, and if she no longer wants us to be friends then I will cut my losses and move on.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:07 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
MLM's are scams, don't get involved. Just say you are not interested. I won't even buy product from one because they will NOT GO AWAY.

It's easier to get out of a cult.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships