Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2016, 07:44 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,019,390 times

Advertisements

Thank you Kibbiekat, I hope not too . It's such a step up from my old place. I RARELY ever see my neighbors with my schedule , I hope it continues .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 08:08 PM

1,038 posts, read 903,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Then if there are orthopedic problems and hearing and vision problems a 95 year old (or at least one with these problems, but you said that 95 would be accompanied by these disabilities) shouldn't be driving. It can't be both ways. I don't think a 95 year old should be denied her own covered parking space just because she's 95 when it comes with the apartment. It would be discrimination to tell her, "Oh, you are so old, you won't be going out much anyway. You don't need/get your own space." But there is no need to give her special privileges. She already had a very special privilege: living 95 years on this planet and being in good enough health to live in her own place with her daughter and to drive. Doesn't get much better than that!

And---no one has addressed that OP is in her 50's (pretty sure I read that). So---if you can say that every 95 year old has pretty significant problems, then you must also say that some 50-somethings also have problems. So why didn't the 95 year old make this request of someone 30 years younger? Doesn't being in your 50's earn you, if not "special privileges" the right to retain the covered space feature that comes with each apartment? See what a slippery slope this can be?
If she has a driving licence she's entitled to drive

All these folks who would willingly take something from a very old lady just because they have the Right to.

I hope y'all dont get old and vulnerable one day and have someone coming taking YOUR parking space too....but it would be Karma.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post

All these folks who would willingly take something from a very old lady just because they have the Right to.

I hope y'all dont get old and vulnerable one day and have someone coming taking YOUR parking space too....but it would be Karma.
It's not her space!

Old 01-20-2016, 08:15 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,772,913 times
Quote:

I would hope that if MY DRIVING were unsafe because I could no longer see well, hear properly, or react well that someone, anyone would step in. They would be SAVING LIVES. How awful would it be if the old lady was driving and hit someone else?

As far as the parking SPACE, the SPACE belongs to the OP, NOT the old lady! The old lady HAS HER OWN SPACES, including a garage, but HER DAUGHTER is using it as storage!! If you want to be upset with someone, BJM, be upset at the old lady's daughter for being selfish about using a garage for her personal storage locker!!

The OP has done NOTHING wrong.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:15 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
Quote:

You do know it isn't the old woman's parking spot right? The old woman had an agreement with the previous tenant. The OP pays for the spot so her car won't get damaged.

So your suggestion is because the woman is 95 the OP should let her car get damaged, pay $100 a month for the parking spot and get reimbursed only $30 because the woman is old?! you know how ridiculous that sounds....

Old 01-20-2016, 08:19 PM

1,038 posts, read 903,334 times
I don't care if its not Her Space.

it WAS her space.

Elderly people find change alarming threatening and life ruining

OP could be kind. People could be kind for someone who deserves a medal just for surviving so long.

But no, it seems Kind is off the menu in favor of RIGHT.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:23 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:

it WAS her space.

OP could be kind. People could be kind for someone who deserves a medal just for surviving so long.

So she should just put her convertible out in the rain?

Old 01-20-2016, 08:23 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,772,913 times
Quote:

it WAS her space.

No, it was not HER space. She rented it from someone else. The space technically belonged to someone else. The old lady's daughter could be KINDER by cleaning her crap out of the garage and letting old lady park there.

What the heck is wrong with the old lady's daughter?

Old 01-20-2016, 08:46 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Sounds like her daughter is the one in the wrong. Tough one.
Well no, the daughter moved her 95 year old mother's car out of the OP's space, knowing someone was moving in. So she did the right thing. The old lady is the one trying to get the space back, and do it on the sly.

The daughter should do something about her garage though, they are meant to park cars in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
We don't know anything about the daughter. The old lady may just be sneaky. She doesn't want the daughter or management to know. I think something more is happening.
Exactly. She told the OP say nothing to my daughter or the management, she may be 95 but she's slick....LOL.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:57 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
Quote:

it WAS her space.

I understand what you are saying. Being kind would be switching a covered space that was closer for one that was further away. Or helping her run errands, or take her to a doctors appointment, have a conversation.

It does not mean paying $70 a month out of your pocket and allowing your car to get damaged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships