Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 10:28 AM

4 posts, read 3,477 times

Advertisements

I'm 25 and I was the result of an accidental pregnancy. My parents never really had a serious relationship, only a short lived fling.

I've always lived with my mother and she has been amazing as a mum. She gave up on her entire personal life to take care me. She worked and raised me brilliantly and despite the circumstances of my birth, she only had love to give. She's truly the best woman I know.

My father is a very different story. I was always an afterthought in his life. He always helped financially, quite generously actually. He helped pay for a number of things, including college. I give him that and I'll always be in debt with him for that.

But he was never meant to have a kid. He visited me regularly with big gaps in between when he travelled due to his job. I don't remember a single gesture of affection for him or true dedication on his part. Whenever I spent time with him, he would have a nanny to take care of me.

I've been away from my hometwon for 9 months and I've just returned. I noticed that while I was away he would call me more frequently than usual, even though we don't have much to say to each other. When I arrived back at the airport, he wanted to be there with my mother, another thing that I thought was very unusual from him.

He turned 63 a few days ago and when I called he invited me to spend a few days at his beach house. I asked why and he said he just wanted to spend some time with me. I said I would have to check my schedule and I would call him back later.

I mean, I hold no grudges towards him but does he think we're suddenly father and son? I was astonished when I told this to my mother and she defended him! She said I should accept his invitation because despite everything even he deserves a chance.

What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 10:42 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,657,460 times
Go. What have you got to lose? When people hit a certain age, and it varies from person to person, they want to strengthen family ties. He did support you financially and well, it is a beach house for crying out loud. You might actually enjoy it

Old 08-24-2016, 10:43 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
I think your mom is wise.

Look, if it doesn't work out at least you can say you did give it a chance.

If you don't even give it a chance you may later in life wonder what you might have missed out on.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:43 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
You took money from this guy all these years - he paid for college! - the least you can do is spend some time with him.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:47 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
Sometimes people don't realize the crappy mistakes they've made until they reach a certain age and mortality is staring them in the face. You don't have to suddenly have a close father-son relationship, but it wouldn't hurt to go and give it a try.
Is there any chance your father might have an illness that he is dealing with?

I met my biological father when I was 15 and it was an unmitigated disaster. I know life isn't how it's shown in movies with happy endings all around. But since you say you hold no grudges against your father, I think I would give him a chance, if I were you. It may turn out better than you anticipate. Or you might just go back to living your life as you did before. I do hope it goes well, though, and you have a nice time with your father.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:51 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,551 times
It could be possible he regrets not being a part of your life. If you don't feel comfortable going to the beach house maybe go out to dinner and/or go to a sporting event together.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Go. What have you got to lose? When people hit a certain age, and it varies from person to person, they want to strengthen family ties. He did support you financially and well, it is a beach house for crying out loud. You might actually enjoy it
The house is incredible, that's for sure. Thank you for your reply.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You took money from this guy all these years - he paid for college! - the least you can do is spend some time with him.
And I give him credit for that. But that alone doesn't automatically mean he's entitled to something from me.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:39 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
I think he at least gave the appearance of being a caring father. I think you should at least attempt to be a caring son. If the relationship is artificial, so be it.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:43 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,973,733 times
I didn't have the same situation as you have but my father really didn't know how to say 'I love you' till I taught him that (through example) when he was almost 80. That is when I really started to get to know him. If it feels awkward with your father, please don't let that stop you from doing your best to make things more comfortable.

And, yes, I too would advise you to go if you can. There are probably all sorts of things you don't know about why he was a semi-absent father when you were young .. maybe over time you will find out what those things were and may feel differently about him. At any rate, give it a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships