Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2016, 05:03 PM

9,889 posts, read 11,832,635 times

Advertisements

The OP still does not get it.

Mothers day, is an old celebration going back in one way or another to ancient Greeks and Romans. It is celebrated in many countries all over the world though on different days.

It is not a day, when everyone is supposed to honor all mothers. It was established in the United States for the husband and woman's children to honor her, and make it a special day for her. It is a day for the OP to honor her mother, not for all her relatives to honor the OP. If the OP had been doing as this special holiday is set up for, she and he brother would have arranged the mothers day celebration to celebrate their mother, no forcing their mother to set up the celebration so she can be with he children on Mothers Day and re-connect with her family. As the OP is a single mother, and her children are too small, there is no one to honor her on mothers day.

OP quit crying, and step up and honor your mother on her day. Wait till your children are old enough, and then they can honor you.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:05 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,166,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
it seems like single moms draw the short straw once again with celebrating Mother's Day. Ugh. And they typically have the hardest parenting job because they do everything without help.

This year my mother decided she wants to do a picnic at her house. My brother and I are to split the cost of crabs. I will cover the half but it is not like I am getting recognized as being a mom, currently raising children. Where is my congratulations? Oh that is right... The same thing as every other day, Pat myself on the back and keep chugging along.

Hopefully when my kids are older I will get the opportunity to celebrate Mother's Day.
You sound very negative, like a real Debby downer, even your screen name reflects that.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:08 PM

11,556 posts, read 12,101,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The OP still does not get it.

Mothers day, is an old celebration going back in one way or another to ancient Greeks and Romans. It is celebrated in many countries all over the world though on different days.

It is not a day, when everyone is supposed to honor all mothers. It was established in the United States for the husband and woman's children to honor her, and make it a special day for her. It is a day for the OP to honor her mother, not for all her relatives to honor the OP. If the OP had been doing as this special holiday is set up for, she and he brother would have arranged the mothers day celebration to celebrate their mother, no forcing their mother to set up the celebration so she can be with he children on Mothers Day and re-connect with her family. As the OP is a single mother, and her children are too small, there is no one to honor her on mothers day.

OP quit crying, and step up and honor your mother on her day. Wait till your children are old enough, and then they can honor you.
This is the way I believe most view Mother's Day.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:25 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,097,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
At least you have a mom op. My mom is dead.
Yes, all about perspective. My SO and I will be attending his grandmother's funeral this weekend. At lest the OP isn't burying her mom for Mother's day. I'm sure my MIL would gladly take a costly crab boil over a funeral.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:29 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,697,621 times
Yep, have to agree with the previous poster you sound like a downer and I'll go a step further and say self absorbed. Mother's Day sucks for a lot of people, single moms, people who are estranged, people whose mom passed away, etc.To some extent the same thing can be said for most holidays like Fathers Day, Valentine's, Christmas etc.

Send your mom a card, flowers, or call and then do something wonderful for yourself if you want to be celebrated. Heck ask your 12 year old if she would cook breakfast or something that day.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:37 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,588,272 times
Quote:
it seems like single moms draw the short straw once again with celebrating Mother's Day. Ugh. And they typically have the hardest parenting job because they do everything without help.

This year my mother decided she wants to do a picnic at her house. My brother and I are to split the cost of crabs. I will cover the half but it is not like I am getting recognized as being a mom, currently raising children. Where is my congratulations? Oh that is right... The same thing as every other day, Pat myself on the back and keep chugging along.

Hopefully when my kids are older I will get the opportunity to celebrate Mother's Day.
Here I do the same for my mum and push the boat out, meal, drink let her put her feet up and be her slave for the day .......and I love it

I'm sure your kids will do when they are older as I'm sure you can't expect them to take you out for a lush dinner and drinks now?

Old 05-04-2016, 08:20 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,132,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, all about perspective. My SO and I will be attending his grandmother's funeral this weekend. At lest the OP isn't burying her mom for Mother's day. I'm sure my MIL would gladly take a costly crab boil over a funeral.
Oh, no. I am so very, very sorry.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:37 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,220,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
Yep, have to agree with the previous poster you sound like a downer and I'll go a step further and say self absorbed. Mother's Day sucks for a lot of people, single moms, people who are estranged, people whose mom passed away, etc.To some extent the same thing can be said for most holidays like Fathers Day, Valentine's, Christmas etc.

Send your mom a card, flowers, or call and then do something wonderful for yourself if you want to be celebrated. Heck ask your 12 year old if she would cook breakfast or something that day.
Agreed. Sometimes, people really want something, but they act , as if they really don't want it, or don't care because they don't wanna seem demanding, or spoiled. And that's understandable, but sometimes not an affordable luxury. lol Because some will take that as truth. Sometimes, you have to openly ask for something in order for people to see it's important to you. And it can be good, because now your loved ones know some things that make you happy.

Like Father's Day. My father claims he doesn't care about the Holiday and it makes no difference. But my mother tells us he cares and is not as cool as he acts. He still tells me numerous times, the Holiday isn't important and he wouldn't notice if I hadn't said anything. But my mother, brother, and I all know that's not true.

But sadly, for OP, there's nobody to send a report to others that she wants to be celebrated. So if she doesn't make it known that she feels under-appreciated, or wants something special done, many people won't know.

Last edited by HappyRain; 05-05-2016 at 01:57 AM..

Old 05-05-2016, 05:01 AM

4,422 posts, read 3,507,581 times
Quote:
Well I think the men in my family should be planning and providing the family picnic. Like my father and brother.
Why not tell them that?

Old 05-05-2016, 10:01 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,132,076 times
I think part of the problem here may be all the commercials that hint that this is how every mother is celebrating Mother's Day: she awakens to, surprise, breakfast! On a tray. There's even a little flower. Then Little Jimmie hands her a special card with a special tiny receiver/speaker that Unnaturally Handsome Daddy helped him record an atypically perfect message into: "Dear Mommy, you are the best mom in the whoooooole wooooorld, I love you FOWEVUH! This kiss is as big as my wuv faw you, MWAH!"

Then as Mom looks up at Dad with a tearful smile, Dad places a Build a Bear wearing a diamond necklace from Zales - her "special" gift from him, well thought out weeks in advance and specially selected down to the last detail - in her arms. Then little Jimmie squeals to Blue Eyed Infant Sister, "Uh-oh! Mama and Daddy are kissing! Covuh yaw eyes!" while Mommy and Daddy laugh at the adorable antics and hold one another close.

Whatevs, it's more like, you get handed a still-wet hand painted card that stains your hands, the ripped Skid Row t-shirt you wore to bed because nothing else was remotely clean and the white bed sheets (and what DID the kid paint, anyway? It looks kind of like a deer. Or a book. Wait, maybe it's a...fetus?), Dad says "you forgot to kiss her!" and you get poured your own bowl of cereal (you never eat cereal. Ever) and only some of it spills, which means you only have a little bit to clean up all by yourself later.

While you're eating this cereal you don't like Dad is running out to get some flowers at the supermarket (yes, the morning of) and a card that says "congratulations on your retirement!" because nine hundred other dads also waited until the last moment and have already stripped the store of all the actual Mother's Day cards.

And you know what, you love it all because they're your family, you know they did it because they love you but for heaven's sake, they're not a commercial, they're only human.

And you're happy.

Last edited by JerZ; 05-05-2016 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: Had to make it funnier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships