Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 12:34 AM

762 posts, read 610,663 times

Advertisements

I'm female btw...

As I've gotten older, my friendships with people either just ended, or it went from friendship to just just being acquaintances.

I really do not have a single person in my life that I consider to be a friend. What I mean by a friend is someone you spend time with, trust, like, and is reliable. I guess someone who is almost like family. I feel like I have several acquaintances but no friends.

I am social and go to the gym, on a coed sports' team, and go to social events in town but nothing ever leads beyond a conversation at that moment.

I just think about this when coworkers ask me how I'm spending my weekend and who I went traveling with (I travel a lot). Nearly every weekend I am alone, and I travel solo as well. I'm also moving 15 miles from where I'm living now and I'm just paying for movers since I have no friends who would help me.

It's really sad that as a kid I had friends but as an adult I have nobody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 12:46 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,359 times
To put this post in a proper context, you need to name the city or Area you live in. Also, even with friends, many people today pay movers. Love my friends but have zero interest in throwing my back out

Old 09-10-2016, 06:27 AM

9,878 posts, read 14,120,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdomsDealer View Post

I am social and go to the gym, on a coed sports' team, and go to social events in town but nothing ever leads beyond a conversation at that moment.
What are you specifically doing to move the relationship further? Are you asking them if they want to meet for coffee later? Are you asking them if they want to go for a hike? Are you asking them if they want to go to a book signing? The next step doesn't automatically happen; you have to initiate it.

Quote:

I just think about this when coworkers ask me how I'm spending my weekend and who I went traveling with (I travel a lot). Nearly every weekend I am alone, and I travel solo as well. I'm also moving 15 miles from where I'm living now and I'm just paying for movers since I have no friends who would help me.
Now I certainly don't know you, but as this is something you specifically mentioned in your short post, it is EXTREMELY possible that people are shying away from being your "friend", because you are coming across as someone who thinks your friends should do stuff for you. Friends are not your labor pool; friends don't owe you favors; friends don't have to cater to you. If you have these expectations; the people you are meeting probably get this vibe, too.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
What are you specifically doing to move the relationship further? Are you asking them if they want to meet for coffee later? Are you asking them if they want to go for a hike? Are you asking them if they want to go to a book signing? The next step doesn't automatically happen; you have to initiate it.

Now I certainly don't know you, but as this is something you specifically mentioned in your short post, it is EXTREMELY possible that people are shying away from being your "friend", because you are coming across as someone who thinks your friends should do stuff for you. Friends are not your labor pool; friends don't owe you favors; friends don't have to cater to you. If you have these expectations; the people you are meeting probably get this vibe, too.
I understand friends aren't your slaves..... If my friends were moving, I would help them. That's all I meant by that. I think you looked into what I said a bit too much no offense.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:33 AM

3,662 posts, read 2,941,977 times
I know, its hard to make real friends out there as an adult. Its like either lts a love interest or nothing. Getting people to spend time with you is hard these days considering pretty much everyone is busy up the Butt trying to make a buck or spending a zillion hours on there cell phones. Its a vicious cycle, people who look for company give up and go into cell phone or tablet or cpu addiction and join the mass of people who have no real friends just glued to a screen.

Wish I could help more, cause I am in the same boat. We all could meet people at work but after the work day is done we all go separate ways.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:12 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
Not to talk down on you OP but I always think something is up when someone does not have one close friend. I'm very reserved, half of CD thinks I'm a potentially killer sociopath, but even I have several close friends.

That said, I think you are looking at friendship as a labor exchange potentially which may explain why people are reluctant to befriend you.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Not to talk down on you OP but I always think something is up when someone does not have one close friend. I'm very reserved, half of CD thinks I'm a potentially killer sociopath, but even I have several close friends.

That said, I think you are looking at friendship as a labor exchange potentially which may explain why people are reluctant to befriend you.
Because I said friends normally would help friends move? WTF? Is this not common anymore? In the past you just bought friends beer and pizza and they helped you moved. When the moved, they did the same thing.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:55 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,956,922 times
I think the OP may be like me. I work in a very public-oriented position and interact with hundreds of people every day. I get to know entire families by name and see them every day. I know a lot of people and was voted "class favorite" when I was in school. I am married, and my wife and I hang out with people somewhat regularly.

However, I haven't felt like I had a "best friend" for the past decade or so. I just have acquaintances. I don't know if I just don't fully trust people 100% or what, but I haven't found someone (besides my wife) that I enjoy being around all the time. I need a guy best friend.

As for the moving comments... I have helped a few people move into new houses. Friends do help each other move. I don't like to ask others for help because I feel like I owe them.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:59 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,849,790 times
Quote:
Because I said friends normally would help friends move? WTF? Is this not common anymore? In the past you just bought friends beer and pizza and they helped you moved. When the moved, they did the same thing.
I remember that too. I was younger...had more time and strength...and friends had less 'stuff' than they do now.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:01 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,060,153 times
Quote:
How old are you? Maybe this is true the first time you move after college, but after a while, grownups do pay movers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships