Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 06:37 AM

99 posts, read 93,133 times

Advertisements

I have a friend like this. All she talks about is herself. Continuously. It is annoying, but since I don't see her very often, it's ok. Sometimes I like having a good meal and just listening to her drone on LOL I do wonder if she notices that I rarely have much to contribute, but whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 07:02 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
There's a thread on this already:

Let's Talk About Me, Endlessly. . .

I was in this same situation. My "friend" and I have drifted apart, mostly because of this problem, although a couple of other factors played a minor role. I don't feel bad about it. It's more of a relief than anything else. It has allowed me to strengthen friendships with people who aren't vampires.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:14 AM

997 posts, read 938,043 times
That trait kind of runs in my family. I guess it is kind of an ASD type thing. That covers such a wide range but that side is kind of quirky in their way. My dad was like that and he wasn't narcissistic at all but he talked for a long time and it could be boring and his dad was like that. The trick is to walk away. That worked in my family. When you are done listening then you walk away. They know that you are done listening and they don't get offended. I also learned at an early age not to ask questions. One time I asked who Florence Nightingale was...Big mistake. I got the full lecture and the encyclopedia version and any other reference material that was available. I just wanted to know that she was a nurse. Finally I said "stop it, stop it" and he said "I thought you wanted to know". My dad was nice, and he was just trying to answer my question.

It's kind of like the lady above who mentioned the Readers Digest version. Some people are aware of their quirks and don't mind being reminded nicely. It is a personality trait and we all have them. Some of our own 'things' need a little self-monitoring at times.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:25 AM

50,827 posts, read 36,527,673 times
That's my mother your're talking to, lol. Once I put the phone on speaker, placed it on bathroom counter, and took a shower, occasionally opening the shower door and shouting ""uh huh". She never knew I wasn't there anymore! I talk a lot too, but I give people permission in advance to tell me to shut up if I talk too much. With my mom, I just interrupt and say "MOM...too much detail!". Your friend is who he is though, I think it's almost a kind of anxiety disorder..just be honest with him but he is not IMO deliberately being rude or anything, and I would not expect it to change (he most likely couldn't even if he wanted to, although he could learn to catch himself earlier perhaps.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:39 AM

95 posts, read 101,714 times
Default that women

my hubby is like that with me lol. the sentence is The lady was crossing the street. I would say art, yesterday after the rain stopped I went outside to check the mail, I thought wow what a nice dress this lady had on it had blue flowers and pink lace and her hat was so cute but didn't like her shoes. lol he says my mother does the same thing

Old 09-13-2016, 08:08 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
A friend I have he just wont let me get more then a word or 2 then he talks. He tells stories with so much detail I go out of my mind. I find my self ending his stories with yes you told me about that before yes I heard that already. I can't even call him unless I know I have 2 hours to burn because he won't let you hang up He just keeps talking. I notice when I tell him a story like he does with to much detail he gets irritated I can tell. He's a great guy we have known one another for 35 years. My wife has a co-worker who is the same way we are going to invite them to the house and see if the 2 of them will talk one another ear off as an experiment I think they will repel one another and nothing will happen.
Here's the definition of a bore: Somebody who talks about himself rather than talk about you.

Your so-called friend is a bore, and a narcissistic one at that. Because he isn't interested in a conversation. He is wanting to have a monolog.

Conversation is an art, one that entails listening more than speaking. It is the exchange of ideas. It is being as interested in the other party as it is talking about oneself. Avoid this guy.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:32 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,836,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
That trait kind of runs in my family. I guess it is kind of an ASD type thing.
Yep, there's no mystery here.

People with Aspergers, are apt to monologue. They are also clueless to your body language and/or subtle hints that you're board to tears.

I wouldn't mind betting that most of the "talkers" referred to in this thread, either stare or make little to no eye contact during conversation.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:06 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInCA View Post
I would get a headache listening to someone talk continuously! I avoid people like that.
I probably would too....but sometimes they can be handy...even useful.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:20 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
For those of you who listen to people talk on the phone for hours,. I simply could not do that. I have one relative who gets the drunken dialies and will want to go on and on, but even with him after 30 minutes max I say, "I have to go" and that's it. I hate talking on the phone in general, but to someone droning on about themselves--never.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:35 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Yep, there's no mystery here.

People with Aspergers, are apt to monologue. They are also clueless to your body language and/or subtle hints that you're board to tears.

I wouldn't mind betting that most of the "talkers" referred to in this thread, either stare or make little to no eye contact during conversation.
Ah, the good old wastepaper basket diagnosis of Asperger's Everything can be explained as "part of my Asperger's." I think nonstop talkers can be described more simply and accurately as selfish and self absorbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships