Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 12:09 AM

13,273 posts, read 7,321,255 times

Advertisements

A friend I have he just wont let me get more then a word or 2 then he talks. He tells stories with so much detail I go out of my mind. I find my self ending his stories with yes you told me about that before yes I heard that already. I can't even call him unless I know I have 2 hours to burn because he won't let you hang up He just keeps talking. I notice when I tell him a story like he does with to much detail he gets irritated I can tell. He's a great guy we have known one another for 35 years. My wife has a co-worker who is the same way we are going to invite them to the house and see if the 2 of them will talk one another ear off as an experiment I think they will repel one another and nothing will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 12:22 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
What do you get out of this friendship? Why are there so many people who are like this in our society? This isn't normal, healthy behavior. Nor is it respectful of you or others he does this with.

I'm not able to be friends with people like that. They're too draining, and I wouldn't get anything out of the friendship. Friendship is supposed to be about reciprocity.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:48 AM

3,253 posts, read 2,340,472 times
I had to entertain someone like that a few times because he was dating my BFF. I finally had to tell her we couldn't have him around because he literally never stopped talking. We couldn't stand it. No one else could say anything without interrupting him and even then as soon as there was any pause he jumped back in with his non stop talking. It was horrible. Now we avoid him like the plague.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:36 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
interesting....two major talkers together...wonder if they'll get along....
Update us after the "experiment"...I'm curious.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:06 AM

973 posts, read 915,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
. My wife has a co-worker who is the same way we are going to invite them to the house and see if the 2 of them will talk one another ear off as an experiment I think they will repel one another and nothing will happen.
Sounds like a great science project. Or, you and your wife can take bets who will be annoyed first between the two, or who will talk the most. Or maybe the Earth will implode by them being in the same room! Sounds fun...

Old 09-12-2016, 08:11 AM

4,326 posts, read 1,262,927 times
I would get a headache listening to someone talk continuously! I avoid people like that.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:11 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,535,127 times
I have often wished for an old style timekeeper's stopwatch to use for such occasions. Click when they start & click when they finally stop.

You could be very blunt and interrupt with, "do you wish have a conversation with me or continue this diatribe?". I believe some people have no idea how rude it is to dominate a conversation and do not even realize they are doing it. There are others who are only interested in themselves & you are just an audience member.

If the person is someone you otherwise enjoy I would ask for fair time.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:19 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,057,672 times
There are a few gals I know who are that way. After being patient to see if they'd calm down a bit, to which they never did, I finally stopped communicating with them.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:07 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,629,533 times
I knew someone like this that would get mad when I interrupted so we didn't stay friends. No one like this is a great person if they are this selfish.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:35 AM

4 posts, read 3,879 times
Actually I have been with a guy that does just that and it drives me crazy because he never knows when to shut up and my friends will say thank you when I tell him uh they have to go and most have stopped coming around since he talks your head off and talks in circles by jumping from one subject to the next... It is so irritating how people are disrespectful now-a-days!!! I have tried so hard to let him know that I cannot and will not lose anymore friends because of his inability to keep his mouth shut but to no avail he still talks until people good-bye!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships