Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 02:15 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,977,130 times

Advertisements

I would rather have no friends.
-WT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 02:43 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
I DON'T have any friends. And while I'm not DYING or anything; it's getting pretty old.

Nobody is going to have anything in common with me anyway; my life has just been way to wierd. I don't expect I'll ever meet someone like that, so why not be friends with someone who has a new perspective on things?

Old 10-07-2016, 02:47 PM

854 posts, read 520,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I DON'T have any friends. And while I'm not DYING or anything; it's getting pretty old.

Nobody is going to have anything in common with me anyway; my life has just been way to wierd. I don't expect I'll ever meet someone like that, so why not be friends with someone who has a new perspective on things?
What makes you say that? What are you interested in?

Old 10-07-2016, 03:54 PM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
Here's a question: would you rather have no friends or friends you have little or nothing in common with? Are you the kind of person that needs to have a squad around you constantly or can you be your own best friend?

I ask because I have a dilemma. For some reason, most of the few friends I have are in their early-mid 20's, including my 2 roommates. I feel like I can't connect with them on any level and I'm staring to think that I'd be better off without them. They aren't malicious in any way, but we've nothing in common. I find that as I've gotten older, I can't fake it anymore and I find myself feeling lonely among such people

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear other people's perspectives.
I have not read this thread, but my opinion is that it depends on what you mean by "friends".

I prefer to have as friends-- meaning people I actually want to spend time with -- those who enjoy at least one activity that I enjoy, too, and who can speak intelligently about at least one topic that I find interesting, also. I also admit that I would rather spend seven days -- or even a month! -- without being around anyone else than spend even one hour trying to converse with someone who 100% bores me or finds me boring. (Yes, I do know that this often works both ways!)

However, that being said, I would also like to have at least a dozen kind, pleasant, honest and polite acquaintances -- and as long as they have those four qualities, I wouldn't care if they were worm-collecting window cleaners or if they had advanced degrees in Russian literature. (I am personally definitely middle-class, middle-brow, and middle-almost-everything.)

None of this is to say that I want a clone of myself for a friend, though! That would just beo WAY too boring.

Last edited by katharsis; 10-07-2016 at 04:54 PM..

Old 10-07-2016, 04:36 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,432,440 times
How does one actually have friends they have nothing in common with? Are they just hanging around for some reason?

Old 10-07-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
How does one actually have friends they have nothing in common with? Are they just hanging around for some reason?
They're my roommates

Old 10-07-2016, 04:39 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,432,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
They're my roommates
If you have nothing in common with them then are they really friends? I've been realizing that many of the people that have known me the longest,from school etc,were not really friends either.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
If you have nothing in common with them then are they really friends? I've been realizing that many of the people that have known me the longest,from school etc,were not really friends either.
Well one of them says they are. I don't get it. Hence why I put the question out there.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:35 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,132,151 times
Wait until you get to your 70's and ask this question again.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:48 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Wait until you get to your 70's and ask this question again.
What magically happens when you turn 70?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships