Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:26 PM

45 posts, read 42,432 times

Advertisements

I’m friends with these three siblings. Two sisters & one brother. All three are between in the ages of 30-40. I’m closest to one of the sisters. I’ve known them for nearly 10 years and they all still live at home with their parents. The two sister’s run a sports blog and get opportunities to interview many athletes in baseball, basketball, and football. They don’t get paid for this work. I believe its a hobby and an opportunity for them to get into various celebrity events. The sister I’m closest to works for a health & wellness company. Not sure what the other siblings are doing. I assume they are working. They are all well-adjusted socially. They have tons of friends and frequently meet new people. Far better at it than I am. What baffles me is that they live at home and neither of them drive a car. I would think that given their age they would want more independence, especially the eldest sister. They all want to get married one day but can’t seem to fine anyone of interest. Mainly because they believe (the sisters) that no man is good enough for them. They also live by strict Christian values would only marry someone who shares those values. I don't understand why they won't strike out on their own. It’s not like it would be difficult for them to be successful. Their networking skills are the best I’ve seen.

Many years ago the eldest sister said that she didn’t want to live on her own because its too expensive. Granted, however this is what most normal adults do. What is your opinion on people like this? Could there be something wrong with them emotionally? Do any of you know someone in the same situation? I’m not trying to change them, just curious about their choices especially since they are fully able to take care of themselves. Their parents are very healthy too. So they are aren't caretakers either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 09:32 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,719 times
Maybe they are just happy where they're at. I love my kids but I'm glad they grew up to be independent and on their own.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:35 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,448,984 times
Enabling parents who did a poor job of raising children to become independent functioning adults! Sad...

Old 10-24-2016, 09:53 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Well, it would be helpful if you gave more information.

Yes, it is odd. But, in some cultures it is not unusual for unmarried children to live at home.

Also, there is huge difference between three adults in their 30s or 40s living with their parents in a tiny, three bedroom apartment or in an average or large house with a bedroom for each adult and plenty of extra space for everyone to have their own privacy.

And, it can also depend on finances. Perhaps, Mom & Dad are paying most of the expenses for the house & utilities. In that case, their kids could get by on part time jobs instead of careers (although, it could be a big problem if the kids don't save enough for their own retirement).

PS. I know a brother & sister who are in their 70s, who still are living in their childhood bedrooms. They joined a family business and never moved away from home. I'm pretty sure that they never dated and they certainly never were married.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:57 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
I try not to worry too much about how other people live their lives as long as it's moral and not hurting anyone.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:25 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
My opinion is that it's none of my business and I shouldn't speculate about where, how, and with whom other people want to live.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:31 AM

45 posts, read 42,432 times
My friend and her brother have Bachelor’s degrees. The oldest sister just has a HS diploma. She use to model and worked in web design for several years. Now she is picking up photography. All of them have held odd jobs here and there for as long as I’ve known them. A couple years after college they moved into a hotel due to financial hardship. Their mother was a freelance interior designer and couldn’t find work for a long time. The brother was away at school in Iowa. From what I recall their dad was working at the airport. Overall I enjoy their friendship, but hanging out with them was difficult at times. They didn’t pay for anything and needed to be chauffeured around. They were also very controlling on what we did on our trips or events. We would acquiesce to their ideas. A mutual friend and I use to complain about them all the time!

I understand in this current age it’s difficult to get started on your own. Just can’t imagine still living at home in my 30s unless it was necessary. I’d go crazy! However, I do miss only having to pay $100 per month help with overall expenses with my family.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:58 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browngeek94 View Post
My friend and her brother have Bachelor’s degrees. The oldest sister just has a HS diploma. She use to model and worked in web design for several years. Now she is picking up photography. All of them have held odd jobs here and there for as long as I’ve known them. A couple years after college they moved into a hotel due to financial hardship. Their mother was a freelance interior designer and couldn’t find work for a long time. The brother was away at school in Iowa. From what I recall their dad was working at the airport. Overall I enjoy their friendship, but hanging out with them was difficult at times. They didn’t pay for anything and needed to be chauffeured around. They were also very controlling on what we did on our trips or events. We would acquiesce to their ideas. A mutual friend and I use to complain about them all the time!

I understand in this current age it’s difficult to get started on your own. Just can’t imagine still living at home in my 30s unless it was necessary. I’d go crazy! However, I do miss only having to pay $100 per month help with overall expenses with my family.
$100 a month!?! . You were lucky enough to only have to pay your parents $100 a month in rent after graduation. Where my daughter went to college one bedroom apartments ran from $600 to over $1,000 a month. And, in my son's first town after graduation his rent was something like $2,500 a month for a one bedroom apartment (Yes, a very high COL city). Add several hundred a month in utilities and you can see why some people would rather live at home.

But, it sounds like your friends have more problems than just living at home. Cheap, demanding, controlling people often have difficulty holding jobs and keeping roommates.

Last edited by germaine2626; 10-25-2016 at 07:22 AM..

Old 10-25-2016, 07:16 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
It's pretty cooool that this family can live together and all get along. It makes more sense financially to stay, why give all your money to a stranger just to live at his/her place?
Hopefully when the parents become less able to care for themselves the others will still be there for them....
Sounds like a family that truly cares about each other....I think it's great.

If you and your friend can't deal with it, or their eccentricities, you really don't have to....silly that "a mutual friend and I use to complain about them all the time".....do you still?.... has it made you feel better about them?
Every family's different....if you "enjoy their friendship", but don't want to pay for or chauffeur them around...then don't.
There ARE ways of extending friendship towards other that don't cost money.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:44 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
With rents at all time high I don't see much of a problem. My 29 year old son and I have a 2 bedroom condo for that reason.

Besides, the way they are living doesn't truly affect you so I wouldn't worry about it or you could just ask them why they choose to still live at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships