Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2017, 06:37 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,431 times

Advertisements

I do enough with regard to educating people about DV and supporting a woman's right for autonomy over her own body. I fail to see, though, why "supporting women" means ignoring an entire other gender when it comes to opportunities to have good friendships. Not every man is the enemy and like I said before, many of them are our allies. Being friends with men and supporting the rights of women aren't mutually exclusive.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:06 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphangel View Post
I apologize if this is not the right forum to say this, but it is something that I and I am sure many others have noticed. Namely women that say "I don't really have a lot of girlfriends because I don't get along with other women" "I am not like other girls (as if other girls are somehow "bad")" "I have lots more guy friends than girlfriends" etc. etc. ad nauseum.

It's really sad. For one most do it just to look "cool" for guys, then internalize it and blow off other women even though they could be great friends! It's fine to have guys as friends, but as a general rule it works better if the friends women have are more women than men, to me if I meet a woman that says any of the above or has more guy friends I don't trust her.

Not to get political, but we live in an age where women more than ever should be helping and supporting each other, we should always support other women and come together in sisterhood. Yet it's really sad how so many feel it's a kind of badge of honor to say "I'm not like other girls/women". Anyone else feel the same?
I have known a lot of woman all my life, and first, I'm not at all into shopping....like most women are, nor am I into the games woman play.

I do have a network of girlfriends, who are awesome women and feel the very same as I do.

Grew up in a neighborhood with all boys, except for my two sisters...so, that could be a reason?

Also, men have such interesting stories to tell....women don't and if I meet a woman who does, she is a friend for life.

I met a woman years ago, after my separation and divorce...Awesome woman. She was a people magnet....never was one to gossip, loved the arts, science, philosophy, people, and was so knowledgeable...she was good at everything she tackled...she wrote, was an editor, my Gosh I don't think there was anything she didn't do.... Extremely independent, but married. Best cook in the whole world. I would have trusted her with my life and husband. She passed away a few years back.

I have another girl friend who feels just like I do about women....not as strongly as I do, but she tells me, I'm her only woman friend. She is the kindest, most faithful woman I've ever known and I'd trust her with my life and husband. We will always be friends.

I have another girl friend who is the same...

and another who passed away years ago....awesome woman!

I do have a network of girlfriends, but keep them at bay....there is much drama there, and some things we really don't have in common. I'm not too fond of how they treat others.

I've seen how evil women can be in the Corporate field, and there are not many I trust.

There was a team I used to work with, pretty much all woman, and the worst group I've ever been affiliated with career wise. Way too much gossip...and they feel off of it. There have been 4 women who have left that group, b/c of the gossip. Awful, and boy can they smile at you like your best friend and stab you in the back.

I grew up with a gal, with whom we were best friends, and after we each had our kids, she tried to come onto my husband.

Woman can be contemptable evil human beings.

My son's step mother is the spawn of Satin. She hated me, and my son...she literally abused him physically, and I took her to court over it. She stopped and apologized to my son. She found out, she could hurt me more by being nice to him, but that's ok with me, b/c it creates peace for him. But, she is sick...literally green with envy and to my knowledge has no friends. She literally set out to marry my son's father....her best friend was dating him and this woman moved in on him like a fly on you know what. My son's father bought it....and as my sister always says, he got what he deserved.... He is a good man now, but in his earlier life, he wasn't, and he is paying dearly for it. Karma....terrible thing.

So, before you go putting woman down for saying they don't like many woman, please, consider first, "Walk a mile in my shoes". Because you have no clue.

There are woman that actually get pregnant to get married so they have someone to take care of them.

There are those who use men, to take care of them....

I know woman who do absolutely nothing around the house, their husbands do it all....they work, come home and cook, clean, etc...and are good husbands to them.

And yes, men can be stinkers to, but for the most part, most men do not gossip like women, and they are decent, admirable and they tell you how they feel and then move on. A woman will hold a grudge for the rest of her life and take it to her grave with her.

So....I get to chose my friends....and we have much in common....I don't need any more drama in my life, at this point in my life....nor want it.

But your right, I am not fond of most women....they can be cruel...extremely cruel, vile and blood thirsty.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:17 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
The issue, in my opinion, isnt whether indivuduals have more men or women friends (or the reverse), it's the assumption that "women are...." and or "men are..". Both men and women can be accomplished, interesting people, or vile, manipulative people. Neither sex corners the market in those attributes.

To say that most women are shopaholic, backstabing gossips while most men are hardworking, interesting individuals....is a problem. And it would be equally wrong to say that most men are violent, ill-mannered sloths, while most women are gentle, sympathetic and polite.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:18 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Stereotypes become stereotypes for a reason. As much as "progressives" today want to blur -- even erase -- gender lines, there ARE differences. Not in every case, but in general. Sorry!

Old 02-21-2017, 07:26 AM

Has nothing to do with "progressives" (not a political issue). Most women I know dont care to shop just to shop. I'd bet dollars to donuts a good portion of that stereotype is based on generations of women whose only option was housewivery, and shopping was a part of their job. Going out to lunch with a friend to shop was a legit reason to get out of the house and have adult contact. As far as business backstabbing goes? Please. Plenty of men have manipulated situations to their advantage. Read some history.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The issue, in my opinion, isnt whether indivuduals have more men or women friends (or the reverse), it's the assumption that "women are...." and or "men are..". Both men and women can be accomplished, interesting people, or vile, manipulative people. Neither sex corners the market in those attributes.

To say that most women are shopaholic, backstabing gossips while most men are hardworking, interesting individuals....is a problem. And it would be equally wrong to say that most men are violent, ill-mannered sloths, while most women are gentle, sympathetic and polite.
there are hardworking women who are interesting, but....in my life experiences, some women are more of a chore than anything else, and I'm sorry, but not only in my opinion, but also in the opinion of a lot of other women I know, feel the same way.

I worked with predominately men in construction....for a time in my life, and they were good people....I've worked with women in the corporate field, and some are awesome dynamos, others, not so much...

Old 02-21-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
there are hardworking women who are interesting, but....in my life experiences, some women are more of a chore than anything else,
Couldn't the same be said about men?

Quote:
..I've worked with women in the corporate field, and some are awesome dynamos, others, not so much...

Old 02-21-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:

Has nothing to do with "progressives" (not a political issue). Most women I know dont care to shop just to shop. I'd bet dollars to donuts a good portion of that stereotype is based on generations of women whose only option was housewivery, and shopping was a part of their job. Going out to lunch with a friend to shop was a legit reason to get out of the house and have adult contact. As far as business backstabbing goes? Please. Plenty of men have manipulated situations to their advantage. Read some history.
well, I'm sorry, but I've worked in many fields in my life, and have known, worked with and met people, and my experience is this, yes, there are awesome woman out there in those fields who are great people and good workers, but the majority of women are not....

you can roll your eyes, but there are more women then men who play the gossip game....believe me, and I'm talking about my experience.

where I've worked, I've had woman crying saying, they would never ever work for another woman....and I'm not making up stories.

If you take offense to that, I'm sorry, I don't know you, however, some women are really awful.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:

maybe you could, but I can't.....

I'm talking from experience, and so are a lot of others.....
Why are you taking this so personal?
no one knows you....no one is talking about you....just b/c your a woman, and probably a very nice lady doesn't mean there aren't stinkers out there.....

Yes, you could say the same thing about some women...but I can't.
I've seen women rape a man financially b/c she wants to get even so she's back in court for more money ever two years.....

I've had woman do me wrong, try and cheat with my husband, who was supposidly a best friend....other women at work, talk about others....makes me sick....

I chose my women friends, they don't chose me.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:45 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
I'd also much rather work for a man than for a woman. Just sayin'... (this thread may backfire on you, haha)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.