Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 11:10 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Good grief! She's copped up to her insecurity and trust issues MORE THAN ONCE and has been pretty mature about it, even though every other post seems to be bashing her for what she's owned up from the very beginning.

She vented folks. Can we take her off the BBQ spit yet?

No, I like my meat extra crispy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
But yet she's still sticking to her unfounded assumptions.
I agree. I don't get it, why post? Just to show us how you really feel about the guy? What do you want from us, OP? Sympathy? Advice? Insight? You have enough insight yourself it seems. A secure open-minded person cannot relate to what you are feeling.

Yes, you sound single and bitter - you said so yourself. So....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 11:14 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
No, I like my meat extra crispy.

I agree. I don't get it, why post? Just to show us how you really feel about the guy? What do you want from us, OP? Sympathy? Advice? Insight? You have enough insight yourself it seems. A secure open-minded person cannot relate to what you are feeling.

Yes, you sound single and bitter - you said so yourself. So....?
I want nothing from anyone here. I just had a need to type out my thoughts and discuss this so that I'll be able to sleep peacefully tonight.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:14 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
When I moved in with my now-husband of 20 years, my brother in law pulled me aside at a family gathering. He said, "You seem really happy. But I care about you, so I want to express my concerns. You haven't known each other for very long. Are you sure you're doing the right thing?" I reassured him that I was absolutely certain and that I was deliriously happy.

I know a lot of people would have been offended by his "interference", but I was very moved by his concern. It was a very "big brother" thing to do. I WAS offended by the relatives that were whispering behind my back instead.

Maybe you should just sit down and have a talk with her to alleviate your concerns.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
When I moved in with my now-husband of 20 years, my brother in law pulled me aside at a family gathering. He said, "You seem really happy. But I care about you, so I want to express my concerns. You haven't known each other for very long. Are you sure you're doing the right thing?" I reassured him that I was absolutely certain and that I was deliriously happy.

I know a lot of people would have been offended by his "interference", but I was very moved by his concern. It was a very "big brother" thing to do. I WAS offended by the relatives that were whispering behind my back instead.

Maybe you should just sit down and have a talk with her to alleviate your concerns.
Honestly, I would never say anything to her to rain on her parade. She has people who are closer to her than me who would be in a better position to express any concerns that they feel. From what I can tell, she seems very happy!

Old 05-11-2017, 11:58 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I would hope that MOST don't. But considering where he's from (which I won't state for privacy reasons), I can't help but wonder if he rushed to propose in part because that would mean that he would get to move to a nice house in the US.
It's not that easy to become a citizen even if you marry one. My neighbor married someone from Mexico. He is here legally. They have a home, a son and a business here together. It's been over 7 years and he still doesn't have citizenship even with an immigration lawyer. Immigration keeps mysteriously losing his paperwork.

I also have a friend who also married someone from Mexico and after a few years and him realizing that it wasn't going to be that easy to get citizenship even marrying an American, he left her and went back to Mexico. Of course after racking up a bunch of bills and ruining her credit!

Anyway, I'm just saying that marrying into the country isn't as easy as it once was. I hope for the best with your relative!n!!

Old 05-11-2017, 12:07 PM

407 posts, read 370,314 times
Any chance you can visit so that you can meet him? No guarantees that you'll end up thinking he's great & all your concerns will disappear, but it might ease a few.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:11 PM

306 posts, read 365,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That is not the OP's business.

Would you like someone asking you how much do you have in savings, checking, and investments?

This is a 35 year old woman, not a teeenager.
Yes, and it's a 35 year woman that OP cares about. I don't know about you, but when I care about someone, I will try my best to make sure they're not harmed.

And to answer you question, I'm fine with someone asking me about my finances as long as they were genuinely doing so because they're looking out for my best interest. That would never offend me. If I wasn't comfortable in telling them exact numbers, I'd just say that I've done the math and I'm good. Don't worry about it.

Quote:
The problem is that the OP is worried based on absolutely nothing other than her imagination.
Again, what's wrong with worrying? As long as she's not trying to break them up over some unfounded fear, what's the issue? People worry about terrorist attacks, getting fired, death of loved ones all the time. As long as they're not crippled with fear and have it under control, I don't see a problem.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
It's not that easy to become a citizen even if you marry one. My neighbor married someone from Mexico. He is here legally. They have a home, a son and a business here together. It's been over 7 years and he still doesn't have citizenship even with an immigration lawyer. Immigration keeps mysteriously losing his paperwork.

I also have a friend who also married someone from Mexico and after a few years and him realizing that it wasn't going to be that easy to get citizenship even marrying an American, he left her and went back to Mexico. Of course after racking up a bunch of bills and ruining her credit!

Anyway, I'm just saying that marrying into the country isn't as easy as it once was. I hope for the best with your relative!n!!
Yeah, I don't really know how the citizenship/residency stuff works. I don't know if it carries more weight with immigration to be someone's fiancé as opposed to just their boyfriend. Hopefully, he won't decide to upgrade to another woman once he gets comfortable here. But in the meantime, I'll just be happy for her and hope for the best.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:28 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
Again, what's wrong with worrying? As long as she's not trying to break them up over some unfounded fear, what's the issue? People worry about terrorist attacks, getting fired, death of loved ones all the time. As long as they're not crippled with fear and have it under control, I don't see a problem.
Then what's the point in posting? Just looking for validation? She came to the wrong crowd.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:35 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Then what's the point in posting? Just looking for validation? She came to the wrong crowd.

The point? She was venting. She said it in her very first post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships